Buying Food

Ok, here's my rant... There are probably 10 Million or Pigs at any given time in the Philippines...why can't you buy fresh ham?  I mean really!  Do any Filipino's like "fresh" ham?  You can buy frozen..no problem, sliced anyway, but full sized ham is usually frozen or frozen then thawed to sell as fresh in the deli's.  Does anyone know where I can buy fresh ham in Cebu? Next, is Turkey..I walk 8 Kilometers daily and when I'm in the rural area's of Consolacion, I see Turkey's everywhere, just running around....try to buy a Turkey, frozen or fresh, I challenge you!  Maybe in Manilla but Cebu, good luck.  I guess I could always go to where I see the Turkey's and ask if the owner of said Turkey could slaughter one for me.  That being stated, try to find one in a grocery store!  One last thing..celery and cilantro...!  I guess no one eats celery or cilantro in the Phils.  Does anyone know where I can buy "GOOD" celery and cilantro?  I though about growing some celery, but it takes so long.  I could easily grow my own                 
cilantro and probably will, but it would be nice to know where to buy it.  The produce sections of even the most prestigious supermarkets are hit and miss when it comes to produce.  Any suggestions would be helpful.
whakerdog said. . . .
Next, is Turkey..I walk 8 Kilometers daily and when I'm in the rural area's of Consolacion, I see Turkey's everywhere, just running around....try to buy a Turkey, frozen or fresh, I challenge you! 

Well whackerdog . . . .Welcome to the Philippines. . . . When you left America you left behind most of your favorite stuff so conveniently available at Walmart, Sam's Club, Costco, Ralph's, Aldi, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's . . . .Do you want me to continue the list?

Just before the holidays I found Butterball Turkeys at S&R. Price never stopped me from buying anything I like. When I saw the price

IT STOPPED ME.

Now that I've pointed you in the right direction, you owe me. . . .  Where can I buy Heirloom or Beef Steak Tomatoes. . . . .Vidalia or Walla Walla Onions?

Anyone?

We brought Burpee seeds in an effort to grow American vegetables and so far no luck. We've been able to grow the small Philippine tomatoes but when I tried to grow Better Boys or Beefsteak tomatoes the plants died before maturity and I'm puzzled why. We are giving it another try but I'm not hopeful. Maybe celery is another plant that doesn't grow well here, or there is no market for it.
  One last thing..celery and cilantro...!  I guess no one eats celery or cilantro in the Phils.  Does anyone know where I can buy "GOOD" celery and cilantro?  I though about growing some celery, but it takes so long.  I could easily grow my own                 
- @whackerdog123
If you are talking about ROOT type celery, it isnt so easy by it seem Phils have shortage of soils suiting growing some root crops comersialy, which make onions, garlic and carrots among the most profitable crops to grow - when  having suiting soil.  I am not farmer, I dont know why its like that when they CAN grow indigenous root crops as e g sweet potatoes.
The only regions in Phils suiting comersial growing of onions and garlic are around Baguio (Luzon) and a part west of IIoIlo, which they call "Litle Baguio" because of that.

@whackerdog123 I recall seeing frozen Turkeys in supermarket at Gaisano Country Mall in Cebu City/Banilad. I didn't check the price. I can usually find Celery for about 29 pesos for a pack. Never really looked for Cilantro. For Ham, try Whole Lotta Foods in Lapu-Lapu. They deliver for a fee. wholottafoods.com/Cool-Meats-c58467146  I buy Smoked Ham Hocks from them which are great to add to Red (kidney) Beans. I wish I could find some decent Steaks with some marbling fat. Seems like the Australian or New Zealand variety are grass fed cattle and too lean for me. Cannot get the steaks tender no matter how I try to cook them, even with marinating. Good Luck.

@whackerdog123 I just noticed that Whole Lotta Foods also shows US Raised Turkeys for 450 Kg, but currently "Out of Stock". Favorite phrase from Vendors for anything you want or need. Maybe you can get your Ham and Turkeys from one place.

Moon Dog Post . . . We brought Burpee seeds in an effort to grow American vegetables and so far no luck. We've been able to grow the small Philippine tomatoes but when I tried to grow Better Boys or Beefsteak tomatoes the plants died before maturity and I'm puzzled why. We are giving it another try but I'm not hopeful.

I went all in trying to grow Tomatoes & Onions and failed

(1) Purchased two Mars Grow Tents
(2) Purchased two Green Indoor full spectrum LED lights
(3) Purchased many grow bags, 1 gallon, 3 gallon, 5 gallon, 7 gallon & 10 gallon
(4) Purchased Miracle Tomato Food
(5) Purchased 20 bags of Greenwoods Farms Perlite
(6) Purchased 25 bags of Loam Soil

I applied for and received a license for importing seeds (The Requirements)

(1) Letter of intent addressed to Director: George Y Culaste & Attn: Joan-May R. Tolentino, OIC-Chief, NPQSD
(2) BPI Application Form No. 01
(3) Sketch Map of Final Destination
(4) Brgy. Clearance and Business Permit $$$
(5) Xerox Copy of Valid ID
(6) Promissory Letter for inspection for planting site
(7) Pictures of planting site
(8) Payment for permit $$$

Customs

(1) Copy of import license  issued by Department of Agriculture
(2) Customs Inspection & clearance
(3) Inspection and Clearance by the Narcotic Agency
(4) Many calls to FedEx trouble shooter in the Philippines, without her help I never would have received clearance.

Imported seeds

(1) Onions: Walla Walla,  Vidalia,  Yellow Granex &  Giant Ailisa Craig Exhibition Onions
(2) Tomatoes: Heirloom Brandywine Pink,  Beef Steak,  Tiny Tim, &  Red Robbin

Domestic tomato seeds

(1) Sweet Princess F1 Cherry Tomato,    Avatar TY F1,    Mica Red  &   Kinalabasa

Months and months of care. . . .Complete failure.

(1) Plants were grown indoors to have complete control of lighting & temperature.
(2) Since no bee's to pollinate, I used sonic toothbrush to pollinate by vibrating the tomato stems & flowers.

There are two types of tomato plants determinate & indeterminate.

(1) Determinate:  Grows to a certain height, produces tomatoes and dies.
(2) indeterminate:  Is a vine which will produce & keep producing and grow very very tall.

(1) I've also planted then slices of tomatoes containing the seeds, the tomatoes were purchased locally and they all grew.
(2) I was also able to clone tomato plants from the trimming of branches of the tomato plant.

That effort is beyond heroic, Spence. What creativity on the pollination! What an investment of time - a true labor of love..  I also LOVE Walla Walla onions and beefsteak tomatoes and suspect you could sell any excess if you had success.

Next time I am up in the vegetable belt of Cebu - Montalongon (above Dalaguete) I will see what they have, other than cabbage and strawberries. It's frequently cold and foggy up there. The small red tomatoes I've seen are similar to what we get here on Negros also. also They have a thriving vegetable market and trucks coming down loaded.
Yeah, I get that I'm not in Kansas anymore, but they have live turkeys running around, why?  For eggs, pets? As for the ham, again, WTF?  There are more pigs here than people for god sakes and it seems like all pig products, other than roasted pig, are frozen..frozen bacon, frozen sliced ham.  OMG!  Look, I'm not asking for a lot.  As for the produce I appreciate the info.  I was going to try and grow some stuff, but I'll save myself the hassle, time and money  based on one of the posts above.  It must be due to humidity and possibly the barometric pressure and maybe even the salt precipitation.  I notice that any metal here rusts like over night.  I bought a bicycle and anywhere there is iron, steel it's rust..even the chrome plated stuff.  The only parts not rusted are the aluminum parts.  If I buy another bike I will fork out the cash for an aluminum alloy frame and as much aluminum and stainless I can get.  I hope I can get a stainless bike chain because that's what rusted first. Anyway, I appreciate the responses!
Moon Dog Post . . . We brought Burpee seeds in an effort to grow American vegetables and so far no luck. We've been able to grow the small Philippine tomatoes but when I tried to grow Better Boys or Beefsteak tomatoes the plants died before maturity and I'm puzzled why. We are giving it another try but I'm not hopeful.

I went all in trying to grow Tomatoes & Onions and failed

(1) Purchased two Mars Grow Tents
(2) Purchased two Green Indoor full spectrum LED lights
(3) Purchased many grow bags, 1 gallon, 3 gallon, 5 gallon, 7 gallon & 10 gallon
(4) Purchased Miracle Tomato Food
(5) Purchased 20 bags of Greenwoods Farms Perlite
(6) Purchased 25 bags of Loam Soil

I applied for and received a license for importing seeds (The Requirements)

(1) Letter of intent addressed to Director: George Y Culaste & Attn: Joan-May R. Tolentino, OIC-Chief, NPQSD
(2) BPI Application Form No. 01
(3) Sketch Map of Final Destination
(4) Brgy. Clearance and Business Permit $$$
(5) Xerox Copy of Valid ID
(6) Promissory Letter for inspection for planting site
(7) Pictures of planting site
(8) Payment for permit $$$

Customs

(1) Copy of import license  issued by Department of Agriculture
(2) Customs Inspection & clearance
(3) Inspection and Clearance by the Narcotic Agency
(4) Many calls to FedEx trouble shooter in the Philippines, without her help I never would have received clearance.

Imported seeds

(1) Onions: Walla Walla,  Vidalia,  Yellow Granex &  Giant Ailisa Craig Exhibition Onions
(2) Tomatoes: Heirloom Brandywine Pink,  Beef Steak,  Tiny Tim, &  Red Robbin

Domestic tomato seeds

(1) Sweet Princess F1 Cherry Tomato,    Avatar TY F1,    Mica Red  &   Kinalabasa

Months and months of care. . . .Complete failure.

(1) Plants were grown indoors to have complete control of lighting & temperature.
(2) Since no bee's to pollinate, I used sonic toothbrush to pollinate by vibrating the tomato stems & flowers.

There are two types of tomato plants determinate & indeterminate.

(1) Determinate:  Grows to a certain height, produces tomatoes and dies.
(2) indeterminate:  Is a vine which will produce & keep producing and grow very very tall.

(1) I've also planted then slices of tomatoes containing the seeds, the tomatoes were purchased locally and they all grew.
(2) I was also able to clone tomato plants from the trimming of branches of the tomato plant.

- @Enzyte Bob

Enzyte Bob... I really admire your both yr persistence & perseverance.

As for me the not so 'fussy Vege eater' ....I get my seeds from shopee...not much variety though.

shopee.ph/product/83191177/4953945872?smtt=0.91463408-1659351056.5
Having just had a quick search online, I have found a company called Jedco (based in Cebu) and their website says that they import products from Australia/USA/Europe/Canada, etc and they supply produce to restaurants and hotels around the Metro Cebu area. They also go on to say that they supply local supermarkets and if you look at their website, they do sell whole turkey's. They also serve various cuts of pork.

So if they supply local supermarkets, you may be lucky and find what you are looking for in one of them in Cebu.

@whackerdog123 First of all, there is no such thing as "fresh" meat or fish. Once a creature dies it starts decaying and rotting within about three minutes. And when you eat them you are turning your body into a graveyard. Leonardo Da Vinci said as much " I don't want my body to be a graveyard." I quit eating that crap about twelve years ago and am healthier now. Food is grown. Animals are born to live with their families just like us.  I wrote something about going "meat" free. timotraveling.blogspot.com/2014/01/vegans-in-philippines.html

@whackerdog123 I recall seeing frozen Turkeys in supermarket at Gaisano Country Mall in Cebu City/Banilad. I didn't check the price. I can usually find Celery for about 29 pesos for a pack. Never really looked for Cilantro. For Ham, try Whole Lotta Foods in Lapu-Lapu. They deliver for a fee. https://wholottafoods.com/Cool-Meats-c58467146 I buy Smoked Ham Hocks from them which are great to add to Red (kidney) Beans. I wish I could find some decent Steaks with some marbling fat. Seems like the Australian or New Zealand variety are grass fed cattle and too lean for me. Cannot get the steaks tender no matter how I try to cook them, even with marinating. Good Luck.

- @talamban

Try cooking the marinated steak sous vide. You can buy the sous vide water heaters on Lazada. I brought a little rechargeable vacuum pump when I moved here but before that I just squeezed as much air out of a ziplock bag with the steak in it as I could, worked ok. Vacuum pump is easier though.

@whackerdog123 First of all, there is no such thing as "fresh" meat or fish. Once a creature dies it starts decaying and rotting within about three minutes. And when you eat them you are turning your body into a graveyard. Leonardo Da Vinci said as much " I don't want my body to be a graveyard." I quit eating that crap about twelve years ago and am healthier now. Food is grown. Animals are born to live with their families just like us.  I wrote something about going "meat" free. timotraveling.blogspot.com/2014/01/vegans-in-philippines.html

- @Timo62

Great solution to the problem, also put myself on a heart healthy diet, no meat or dairy products, feel better, lost some weight.

@pilotdrh I'll try that next time. I actually bought an Instant Pot Duo Pressure Cooker cuz it had the Sous Vide option built in. But, I have never tried Sous Vide yet, even though I watched some YouTube videos on it. Thx for the tip.

For decades between my first marriage and second, my daughter labeled my diet as a Cave Man Special, beef. . .beef. . . and more beef. No Veggies. . . No Fruit.

I wish I could continue but two things stand in my way:  My Wife & No availability of the Beef I desire.
Im no fussy eater either and dont care for pork. Why eat turkey when you can eat fresh native chicken. One thing, I thought there were wet markets that sell uncooked meat and fish? One of the things that entice me about moving to PI is to eat healthier and get away from industrialized food of the US conglomerates. Vegetables, fruit, chicken and fish, with the occasional imported beef. If food was a major factor to me I wouldnt be moving lol
@Enzyte Bob

I checked out the turkey at S&R (Lipa City) a few minutes ago. Honeysuckle White is P340 a kilo, P2505 for the one I looked at. They also have butterball, Premium All Natural, P299, P1544 for the slightly over 5 kilo I looked at.
Pilotdrh price shopped Turkey . . . .

I checked out the turkey at S&R (Lipa City) a few minutes ago. Honeysuckle White is P340 a kilo, P2505 for the one I looked at. They also have butterball, Premium All Natural, P299, P1544 for the slightly over 5 kilo I looked at.
- @pilotdrh
Well back in the states I would buy a large turkey, preferable fresh, as they taste better. I would buy a 20 to 24 lb Turkey. The reasoning is I love Turkey and it takes the same amount of time to roast a small or large one. Also Turkeys were a bargain price to bring you into the store as many would spend $100 or more for the rest of the holiday meal. It was a loss leader.

I  roasted the fresh Turkey and brought it to my daughters house. The fresh Turkey tasted so good I went back to the store and purchased one for myself a couple days later, the price per pound had doubled.

Now using your price guide of Honeysuckle White is that just the breast or the whole Turkey?. . . . .  Well let me do the computations, P340 per kilo computes to $6.12 per pound. So a 20 lb frozen Turkey at S&R would cost $122.40.

Hello large Chicken, goodbye Turkey.
Is there one western brand food item that you crave that much that you would be willing to pay virtually  any amount of money for, even if you only buy it once or twice a year?

Also do supermarkets in the Philippines have their own branded items? So for example  Morrisons and other supermarkets in the UK sell some of  their own so Baked Beans (cheaper than Heinz and passable) are cheaper than Heinz Baked Beans. Aldi sell 6 packs of Tropical Blast which is their take on Lilt and is cheaper. I actually prefer the Tropical Blast to Lilt because I find it is a little bit more of a bitter taste and the Grapefruit is the dominant flavour.
Okay a bit OT, but having spent time in most of the neighboring countries such as Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia and Vietnam.. it amazes me how lousy the food is in the Philippines by comparison.  Thai, Indian, Malaysian or Vietnamese cuisine is more fresh, spicy, tasty, and healthier.. yet it's hard to even find that food here, except in Cebu or Manila.
I struggled to get vegan food, but some adapted. For me I was grateful... Comes with change, what you back home, you may not get there!)

@pnwcyclist I agree completely. The food I tasted in HCMC, Vietnam when I stopped off for a few days returning from the Philippines was far better than the food in the Philippines. I also managed to avoid eating rice in Vietnam, an almost impossible task in the Philippines.

It's the elephant in the room...no standout dishes like neighboring countries. I like pancit, adobo, lumpia but i LOVE Thai, Viet, Indian food. At least in the north, lack of spices I think. I'm going to be fairly close to Manila so I would think there are some places there that would satisfy those urges.
Is there one western brand food item that you crave that much that you would be willing to pay virtually  any amount of money for, even if you only buy it once or twice a year?

- @Cherryann01

None. But I am craving for

1. Philly cheesesteak from The Cheesesteak Shop in San Francisco
2. Corned beef sandwich from Tommy's Joynt in SF
3. Clam chowder in a bread bowl from Fisherman's Wharf
And last but not the least
4. Meetinghouse Biscuits from Chef Joanna Karlinsky.

I also miss having gumbo.

@Cherryann01 I am originally from Louisiana. I love Crayfish - either boiled with spicy seasoning, or the tails cooked in an ettoufee or alfredo sauce. Can't understand why they are not abundant here in Philippines, since they are farmed in Rice Fields and labor is so cheap here. The Chinese export them to Louisiana and around the world. Also, the sausages from Louisiana are so good - whether Andouille or just Smoked Sausage. And, Boudin Sausage, a mix of of Pork and Rice with lots of Seasoning and Spice.

@FilAmericanMom I Love Gumbo, both Chicken and Sausage or Seafood, but think of it during Cold Weather which doesn't happen here. I am from Louisiana where some of the best Gumbo is cooked. Also, Chicken and Andouille Sausage Jambalaya from Gonzales, Louisiana.

Just for breakfast and for variety, this is what I would miss - Proper British sausages, proper bacon, Heinz baked beans (the tins of ham and beans over there are not to my taste), raspberries, Weetabix ( can be bought from Lazada for an astronomical price), flavoured yogurts, grapefruit and raspberry conserve or jam.

Do not get me started about meat and poultry. Lamb, oh so so tasty lamb with mint sauce, duck, different cuts of beef, steaks to  name some. The good news is that I have eaten lamb in restaurants in the Philippines for a reasonable price so that could be my go to meal when we eat out. (I will bring jars of mint sauce from the UK).

I know some of this stuff is available but at a price and I am just not sure how much I am willing to pay for these and other items I would crave.

@FilAmericanMom I Love Gumbo, both Chicken and Sausage or Seafood, but think of it during Cold Weather which doesn't happen here. I am from Louisiana where some of the best Gumbo is cooked. Also, Chicken and Andouille Sausage Jambalaya from Gonzales, Louisiana.

- @talamban

Have you seen the movie The Dead Don't Die? In that movie, zombies would utter the things that they craved when they were still alive. Some said "Xanax," "coffee," "chardonnay." If I were a zombie in that movie, I would probably say "Gumbo." LOL. I love gumbo. I really miss eating it.

- @talamban

Have you seen the movie The Dead Don't Die? In that movie, zombies would utter the things that they craved when they were still alive. Some said "Xanax," "coffee," "chardonnay." If I were a zombie in that movie, I would probably say "Gumbo." LOL. I love gumbo. I really miss eating it.
- @FilAmericanMom

I apologise if you are dreaming of Gumbo and especially if you are drooling just thinking about eating it
From talamban. . . .- whether Andouille or just Smoked Sausage. And, Boudin Sausage, a mix of of Pork and Rice with lots of Seasoning and Spice.
I recently bought Andouille Sausage (frozen) at Lander's, it was quite good. S&R and Lander's have several varieties of Johnsonville Sauage.

@Enzyte Bob I can occasionally but rarely find Johnsonville (Italian Sausage & Brats) at Landers in Cebu. Obviously your store is in Manila area. Also, Grimm's (from Canada) Smoked Sausage which is good is there on occasion - Funny, they show a 30% Discount Online but Out Of Stock. When they have it, I buy a BUNCH cuz I have two fridges with freezers. I also belong to S&R but same story.  I used to be able to find good Andouille at Ayala Supermarket Before the Pandemic. I think part of the issue may be the sanctions by Cebu Province of prepared Pork products, even from Manila. Starting to Panic now. I have just enough Smoked Sausage for two more pounds of Red Beans, which I import through Amazon or directly from Camelia Brands in New Orleans.

@Timo62 Been a vegetarian sine age 19 because of spirtual path and more importantly ....conscience. Must say i do find the philippines a barren land for us nonmeat eaters.often wish i was a carnivore there .....hihi