A view of moving to Greece

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Greece when we retire.

I have booked a flight to Athens on July 4th for three weeks. Thinking of staying there for about 4days and checking out place's around the coast of Athens then moving on down to the Peloponnese to check some places out Kalamata for one. We are not hiring a car and would like to use train and buses.

We have 3weeks there. Do you think this can be done and if so any suggestions on places we should visit. We would love to eventually live in a place near the coast in a village type setting.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tanya.
@dowlingtk Hello, we've just sold up in Kos after almost 20 years and we absolutely loved being there, however it was time to leave, purely for family reasons. Anyway I know you are looking at mainland Greece, but should consider the islands as your never far away from a beach and commuting is much easier now. Buying our house was as smooth as clockwork and we had no issues. Selling is a little different as we (UK) are now out of EU and it took a little longer than it would have.

Wherever you settle you'll love it and the people!!

Good Luck

Jim & Natalie
Thank you for your reply. We had thought of the islands but was told they were more expensive than the main land because everything has to be shipped over.

Also because we are retiring there we have to think of healthcare and hospitals.

But it has certainly made me reconsider

Thanks again.

Tanya

Hello Tanya,

It's an excellent idea and you'll definitely discover many wonderful places you'll love to stay. Greece is a beautiful country and the people there are warm and very friendly. Everywhere in Greece there are wonderful places and you can't go wrong choosing any location.
1. I don't think it's a good idea to rely on the public transport, especially in the case you want to travel along the coast... it would be best for you to rent a car to help you get where you want to go without being conditioned by the "schedule and availability" of the local buses.
2. The area near Kalamata city is gorgeous and there are a few small villages there that offer an idyllic way of life. But, bear in mind that some villages are strictly tourist villages and that in winter everything there is closed. You wouldn't want to live in winter in a village "almost deserted" and where there is only a small grocery store.
3. 3 weeks is too short a period to be able to satisfactorily "explore" all the areas you mentioned (Athens' area and Kalamata's area), so it would be useful to look at the map and make an imaginary route beforehand.

Cheers,
Ricky

@RickyRO I have very recently been told that car hire works out extremely expansive now,friends from Denmark lost nearly two thousand a year ago for a short hire so be careful.I would say dont pick up from the airport,use public transport down as far as you can on the Pellopennese and hire a car there locally,then on your return leave it there and come back on public transport again,I think trains dont go down there that way but the public buses are like very smart comfy coaches and reasonable price,you put your stuff underneath

@concertina, Yes, I think you're right about the high car rental costs now. Probably yes, the best option is to take the bus on the route Athena - Kalamata and rent a car locally.

@dowlingtk you could look Tolo area.It is near Nafplio.Tolo is to the coast

Ola that is a good idea to go  3 weeks to find a place where you will appreciate to stay.I was thinking to go on september in south of Thessaloniki.It is a nice town smaller than Athens and I need to be closed from a city but I should stay near the beach on south of Thessaliniki. PEREA and all the beaches ib this area. I wanted to come in september but the flies are very expansives for me and I cant go more than one week. If you go in this area, please can you give me your felling when you will come back...That will be very great!
Good stay for you
I hope you the best
matoureveur
I don't think we'll be going near Thessaloniki but if we do I will certainly check things out for you.
Are you looking to rent or buy how many bedrooms

Tanya
@matoureveur

Thessaloniki is the second largest city in Greece (in size and in population) so it is not small at all. It is a coastal city, crowded and full of life. It is also a university center, so there are many young people and there is also a nice "night life". Peraia (Perea) is a suburb located in the south, near the airport. It is a beautiful area, in full real estate development and with many blocks of flats / houses under construction. It is a fast growing area. IF you want a quieter atmosphere, then you can search in all the villages that stretch along the coast, from Thessaloniki to the Kassandra peninsula. The road that connects Thessaloniki to Kassandra is a fast express road (110 km/h) with 2-3 lanes in each direction, just like a highway. So, the road access is fast for any of the coastal villages. It is a quiet area, with a rural look and some of the villages still keep the "virgin" air of the non-tourist localities.
Thank you for your reply. We will look into that.

Tanya