The crisis situation in Sri Lanka. Come or not come now?

Hi everyone!
I was before the crisis considering relocating and settling down in Sri Lanka  but have now reconsidered because of the current situation. What do you guys say who live in Sri Lanka allready? Should I look at another country or is it still doable or should I wait and for how long if so? How should I think in this situation? How bad is it and in how many places? Any inside information would be helpful. Thank you in advance!

Best regards
Rebecca
@Swede Becca Hi Rebecca, we are here now for about 6 months and we love the country.  Yes the situation is not great at the moment, but this too shall pass and things will settle down.  My local informants tells me that it will take about 6 - 9 months before things get better again.  The only difficulty we face is to send money back home as forex is extremely scarce.  Other than that, it is still great to be here. 

Hope this helps?
@Swede Becca
Hi Becca,
I saw your message and i would like to help you. Due to the prevailing situation in the country, your presence here is very much essential. I love to help you ananytime you want. So if you need more details please reply. Have a blessed day😊

Milan
Hello Rebecca,
Every crisis consist of a cycle... Sri Lanka is at the bottom, dollar is high and many opportunities will arise from this crisis, the people need to learn how to vote and it seems there is a lack of leadership at the other Party... This current government made big damage... corruption, lockdown, Vaccines, etc...
Even though, I think they will not be elected again.
Currently we have shortage of fuel, which is impacting the economy in general.
People are going to the streets... which is necessary for maturing the democracy. But the protests are pacific and I support them.
Finally: Do not hesitate, come anyway, this is a blessed Country :)

Cheers,
Flavio Campos
Moderated by Cheryl 2 years ago
Reason : No contact details on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
@Swede Becca
Every countries in the world are in crisis , but Srilanka worse at the moment . It's not the country fault , ***that's what happened.
Moderated by Cheryl 2 years ago
Reason : Inappropriate

@Swede Becca

Every country has its ups and downs. It is the poor people over here who are at a disadvantage due to lack of jobs and cash for day to day living. People who come here with their own income do not have a problem since there is food in shops, fuel (without queues) and workers to get things done. The scenic beauty of the country is still the same. Year round sunshine still the same! Rain in volumes during the rainy season still the same! The other benefit for people who visit Sri Lanka is that the hotel prices have come down due to lack of tourists. So, if you have your own funds and is not seeking employment in Sri Lanka, then this is still the best place for such foreigners. You can also benefit by the special visa package for long term visitors. Please visit the Immigration and Emigration website for more details.

All the Best and you are most welcome!

Rathnavali (lawyer)

We moved out here 2 years ago so it's Ben a baptism of fire! Things have now settled down. Fuel is available with occasional gaps in supply. Power cuts are less now. If you going to find your move with hard currency you will be onto a winner as the dollar, pound, euro etc are all worth about double what they were a year or so ago. Yes prices have gone up but apart from some notable exceptions, construction materials etc most haven't anywhere near doubled. We are in SP about 20 minutes from Galle

I live in Australia but I travel to Sri Lanka several times a year. I understand that there are still planned power cuts across the country although the good hotels are not affected by this. The situation should be much better in about a year and I am hoping to move to Sri Lanka around end-2023.

In this winter by the time approximately after "Jul" and new year holiday season in Sweden, Sri Lanka would have recovered to good enough level to have all the supplies intact pretty much as it was before the pandemic. Everything else is described here in the post number #6 nicely "The scenic beauty of the country is still the same. Year round sunshine still the same! Rain in volumes during the rainy season still the same!" And you will still get more for your Kronor. Lycka Till! 

****so unfortunately my assessment may or may not be 100 percent accurate.

However it is like a chicken-and-egg situation anyway, if the more foreigners would come to Sri Lanka now the more chance to fix the situation sooner, and if the more foreigners would wait until the situation get better the more time it would take to fix the situation.

Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Politics : Please note that discussing about politics is not allowed on the forum. Thank you

Bhavna you should know that I had no intention of discussing politics here on the forum or anywhere else but my intention was to correct my previous post, there I recommended to the OP to come to Sri Lanka in January which seemed very possible at that time when I posted, but because of substandard decisions and ways of governing of those who are responsible of governing the country I now have doubts about my assessment, so I had to let OP know it, I only took my responsibility as a fellow poster and told her it as it is and also what was the reason for it, which you categorised as discussing politics. Discussing politics is when you take a side of what you are discussing. I used the word politicians which means all of them I am not a part of any side.