Illegal Resident in Ukraine! What is the fine?

Dear Expats in Ukraine!

Hello. I hope you can help me. I am trying to help an American friend who is trying to leave Ukraine. She is fleeing Kharkov.

She said she has a valid US passport, but she overstayed her three months. In fact, she has been an illegal resident since the year 2015! Yes, you read that right.

Would you kindly tell us:

1) What is the amount of the fee she must pay for each year of her illegal residence in Ukraine?

2) Where is this amount stated in Ukrainian law? Where is the document?

3) Can you provide us with an internet address, if the law is published online?

4) Given the fact that she is a refugee fleeing the bombing, is she still required to pay the fine?

5) If so, where should she pay? Can she pay directly at the border? Or, does she need to go to the immigration office (OVIR) or city court?

6) Can she pay with a credit card, or must she pay in cash?

We thank you very much in advance for your prompt assistance.

Sincerely,

Anna Nicole

5100 UAH max fine.  Just pay it on the way out if they notice it.  They take credit cards.  All of your other questions are a waste of time in my opinion.  Is your time worth less than this 5100 UAH?

I say if they notice it because when I crossed the border yesterday into Romania, they didn't even swipe the passports of women, children, or seniors.  Mine was swiped because I am a military-age male.

Wow. Thank you SO much for your prompt response, BeHealthyNPositive!

I'm happy for you that you got out safely. May I ask you:

Did you bring all your stuff, or are you planning to return at some point? Are you lucky to be a legal resident?

Did you see any Russian military activity over there?

Having violated Ukrainian law for so long - seven years - will they prevent her from returning to Ukraine? Or, are you saying that if they don't swipe the passport, then no black "stamp" goes into her passport?

How crowded was the Romania border?

She is trying to decide where to cross over--into Hungary or into Romania.

We thank you again!
Anna

annanicole491 wrote:

Did you bring all your stuff, or are you planning to return at some point? Are you lucky to be a legal resident?

I brought a backpack and one piece of luggage.  Two would simply be too hard to handle with so many people around you.  This is not like in the west where you would always have ramps or elevators.  I have with me documents, computers, and things I don't wish to give up no matter what.  Things I left behind, I can always buy new.  If the situation calms down in the next 2 months, I'll go get my stuff.  If it isn't safe for me to return, the landlord can have my stuff.  I am certainly not going to keep paying rent.

I have a temporary resident permit.  I don't know if this qualifies me for the pending asylum program that is coming out in the EU.  I doubt it.  My guess is that one has to be at least a Ukrainian citizen or *permanent* resident, but I'm really not sure.

annanicole491 wrote:

Did you see any Russian military activity over there?

I didn't see them but heard bombs dropping in the distance in Kyiv.

annanicole491 wrote:

Having violated Ukrainian law for so long - seven years - will they prevent her from returning to Ukraine? Or, are you saying that if they don't swipe the passport, then no black "stamp" goes into her passport?

If they don't swipe her passport, she saves 5100 UAH.  But her illegal presence would continue to accumulate in their computer because they don't know she has left!  I really don't know if Ukraine would ban someone from returning after an illegal presence of 7 years.  Probably only an attorney can advise you on this one. 

annanicole491 wrote:

How crowded was the Romania border?

If she tries to cross in her own car, it would take days.  If she hires a local taxi from a nearby town called Chernivtsi, the drivers there know how to drive you all the way up to the customs house.    In 15 minutes, she would be on the Romanian side.  At least that was the case at the Siret crossing 2 days ago.

Thanks, BeHealthy. I really feel for you. it must have been surreal hearing military fire. Well, you have plenty of interesting stories to tell your friends! :-) And thank GOD you are alive! That's the main thing!
If you don't mind my asking, why did you choose Romania? Is that the lowest-cost country to flee to? My friend is considering Hungary, but she says the cost of living is much higher than in Ukraine. 
How are you getting around now? Do you speak any Romanian or Hungarian?
What will you do for money? I don't think this war is going to be ending anytime soon. Frankly, I think this conflict started back with NATO expansion, because when Gorbachev agreed to the German reunion, it was with the Western guarantee that NATO would not expand to the East. Then one by one NATO admitted more members. Russian leaders kept warning that Ukraine is off limits. It's Russia's backyard. Anyway, you might disagree. I am not in any way condoning Putin's actions.
Stay strong. Keep the faith!
Anna

As soon as I heard bombs exploding in the distance, I started looking for train tickets to a border town.  Most tickets were already booked if I wanted to leave by Feb 25th!  After searching all day, the best itinerary I could find was to Chernivtsi.  Crossing the Romanian border is only natural when you go that way.

Hi Anna just quick foot note to the above, I also think it may of had a small part to play in Adolf Putin's war on Ukraine , but one thing you failed to mention is when east and west Germany become one. 100,000 us soldiers left Europe, 40000 British soldiers left 10000 Canadian soldiers left and all nukes removed back to there home countries. 56 military bases closed. Guess they will all go back.

I would like your opinions on why did Russia invade Georgia, Chechnya, Afganistan and why for the last 20 years 3 or 4 times a week does Russia fly nuklier strike aircraft towards the UK. Or are they site seeing.  Or could it be that there a very aggressive country, that has a large population starving, while there rich was getting richer, notice I said was getting richer. Not anymore thanks to Putin the hole country will suffer, and the ordinary Russian does not deserve this, only the Dooma.

annanicole491 wrote:

Frankly, I think this conflict started back with NATO expansion, because when Gorbachev agreed to the German reunion, it was with the Western guarantee that NATO would not expand to the East.

Wrong! Such a guarantee was in the discussion then, but never explicitly given. There also was no discernible opposition from Russia when many Eastern European countries up to the (former Soviet) Baltic republics joined NATO. It is only Putin's propaganda that tries to change history in this respect, 30 years after the fact.

hi all
Firstly i am Moldova at this time, with wife all good for a day or so. I read about over stayers, there is no hard and fast rule as we are under marshal law. All normal rules no longer apply in there is a conflict with military law. Military law rules over civil.
A normal overstayer male, who has a valid international passport will be given permission to leave, his edocument will show he is banned, but no stamp will be put in his passport. a fine may be given up to 10,000 usd. under marshal law this is the upper limit. to be honest there will be no fine just an EDOCUMENT BAN.
Males with out of date passport, hope you have Ukraine documents proving your not Ukrainian , you will need to join the IDF or prison, civil law does not count.
Female over stayer valid documents may get a fine but also will get an eban for up to 10 years. if documents are out off date you will be subject to FSB arrest and checking to make sure you are not an ORC,
Just remember marshal law is nothing like civil and all Ukraine is under marshal law.
All my documents are in order but i was pulled off a bus and interview by the secret police.
take it on the chine, do the crime you have to do the time,

Martin,

I'm so glad to hear you and your wife are safe and sound.

When I look back, I don't think the OP is serious about an illegal stay of 7 years.  Those who are capable of investigating immigration issues in such great detail are not likely to have overstayed for 7 years! 

Rather, I think the purpose of her post is to start a discussion on NATO expansion.  This whole discussion of immigration is just to create a fictitious person.

I could be wrongly accusing her.  But do I really care?  We don't know each other, and she is a lawbreaker if indeed she is real.

HI THERE
yes i didn't read all the post. we have ha few friends working on boarder and its the information thats been passed to me from them. most overstayers are getting ebanned for 10 years without fine, i also dont understand overstaying, so easy to do things the correct way ah

martin