Citizenship by marriage

Hi!
I have recently adquired my Maltese citizenship by descent and so did my daughter. My husband has applied for his citizenship by marriage in November.
Any recent experiences on how long does it take to finish the process?

Hello julieta71,

I hope that someone will be able to share his/her own experience with you soon.  ;)

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team

Thank you Cheryl!
it seems there is very little information on this topic...🤷🏼‍♀️

Although there are topics on here regarding Citizenship by decent, there is not a lot of information for the simple reason it is a forum for expats, who if they had access to citizenship would not go down the expat route in there respective adopted countries in the first place.
The rules and timing for acquiring citizenship by marriage are laid down in law and information is best obtained from Identity Malta.

F0xgl0ve wrote:

Although there are topics on here regarding Citizenship by decent, there is not a lot of information for the simple reason it is a forum for expats, who if they had access to citizenship would not go down the expat route in there respective adopted countries in the first place.
The rules and timing for acquiring citizenship by marriage are laid down in law and information is best obtained from Identity Malta.

Since December 2020, Identity Malta no longer deal with citizenship applications, this falls under the responsibility of Community Malta Agency.

The timescales for obtaining citizenship through marriage (known as citizenship by registration) vary on a case by case basis and also according to work load at the agency. When I personally applied in 2007, this was a swift process, however since Brexit, there has been an increase in the number of applications  submitted. From what I have heard recently, a rough estimate would be between 6 - 12 months, but the officer processing the case would be able to provide you with some guidance.

If you applied from a Maltese  Embassy or High Commission, try to enquire there, alternatively you could contact Community Malta Agency directly by email on [email protected] or telephone +356 2122 5232.

The postal address is:
Community Malta Agency
Mediterranean Conference Centre,
Old Hospital Street,
Valletta, Malta. VLT 1645

Office Hours
Monday – Friday, 07:30 – 11:30
Wednesdays closed.

It is worth contacting for a status update, in case of document/s missing from your application pack. Quote your own citizenship number found on your certificate and your Maltese ID card number (if you have one)  in any correspondence.

Thank you very much for your response !
A lot of useful information.
My husband has applied through Washington's embassy. As you say, it is worth to make contact with them in case there is something missing.

They seem to be approved within about three months at the moment, although it can take a little longer to be notified.

Do email them - they are responsive and helpful.

When your husband applied, did he also sign the additional oath that is not in the application form?

Thank you!

I have emailed them and got a very quick response. It seems that it is not ready yet but they were very helpful as you said.

Yes, my husband has signed the oath along with the application form.

Today we received the confirmation of my husband's citizenship. That was fast! Thank you all for taking your time and sharing experiences.

@ Julieta71 : Congratulations :):top: