Bank account paphos

Do we open a bank account after registration or before? Also what happens if you can't get an appointment with immigration before your 90 days is up? I hear their very busy.

You can open an account with just your passport and when you get your residency you can let them have a copy of that...

Don't worry about the 90 days you will get an appointment slip and that will be fine

Thank you what about proof of address?  If I am in temporary?

There is no time constraint for rental contracts I have that in black and white from immigration

Sorry I meant for the bank account?

Hello!

There is no legal time constraint on the lease contract. Keep in mind that when they relocate they will have to declare to our offices the new address so that their application will be sent to the new address.

Andreas Damianou

Administrative Officer

Civil Registry and

Migration Department

For bank it may be different but am sure they can give you a basic account for transactions ...basic level probably cash card only

Get a a revolut account (doesn't matter whee you are) or a starling card account before you leave UK....all good they can take pension payments .direct debits etc and free  cash withdrawals.at local.atms upto a limit plus top rates of exchange better than all mainstream currency exchanges. No need to have a local account unless theyve made it a stipulation for residency which they may have done but you can do that later  and these cards can work for you in the interim use them just like any other card

If you have existing UK accounts don't close them unless forced to.. if you can keep them do so as once they've gone you cannot get them back otherwise it's offshore accounts I believe standard do one on the isle of Man or Jersey I think as I looked into this sometime ago ..

Lots of people are now using the likes of REVOLUT Monese Starling and there are some others so well worth considering.. they are usually easy to get can be done on your phone with account options free as wel as Paid. Also be aware that the banks here have just increased their banking charges. From this month ...savings accounts are charged at €5 per QTR and and a current account at about €3 per month...

As I recently reviewed all our personal banking we decided to opt for one of the these accounts and have ditched a local bank..... As don't need them or their charges.. there is better value elsewhere ... Just be aware of their rules and any shortcomings they may have and don't leave big chunks of cash in and on their apps...which is highly advisable with local banks here anyway (and I refer to the 2013 bank crisis and the "haircut")  To be honest I have found them clean simple very fast and reliable so far been with mine for a few years now and they just work with only minor niggles ... Nothing that can't be resolved .

Usually with a proof of adress (with Astrobank) plus and a work contract with most of the other banks. Good luck with it.

If your bank account in the UK is with Barclays, please make sure you also have one with another bank, such as HSBC as Toon recommends. If give Barclays a change of address that is in Cyprus they will almost certainly close your account. they did that to thousands of ex-pats a few years ago.

I know. I wouldn't give them an eu address. I shall consider using a family address though I know it's wrong if they find out. I wonder if they can.

I woukd be tempted to bring it to Cyprus bank but they want receipts etc., proof of source, I guess the house proceeds woukd be straightforward as present t, but stuff from years ago I can't people didn't need all that proof then.

All about anti tax evasion measures.... Its nothing to be scared of.. i presented a list of sources and explained it all going back 15 years ... They do like and prefer to see a paper trail....online banking or not they all do the same with major money transactions

I just did t keep records. It just wasn't thought bout then. Also didn't have smart devices to take files of.  I can explain verbally but paper trail!!

Bank of Cyprus in UK

Just an update for you re HSBC currency account

App operational within two days transfers IN tried and funds in the account within 2 hrs although the first one took almost a day . not tried OUTgoing yet but it seems they can't be done in the mobile app but can be done  on the web .. but that's not a problem for me.. it looks like you can even deposit cheques by scanning the cheque front and back

Off topic sorry. If I switch my phone to any payg will it let me keep my Uk number working in Cyprus or is there more to it. I can't seem to grasp this?  I have a Tesco contract and need to keep my Uk number working for banks of course! Barclays and Wise! Don't even understand how dual sim keeps ur number going just don't get it!

eileenklysner wrote:

Off topic sorry. If I switch my phone to any payg will it let me keep my Uk number working in Cyprus or is there more to it. I can't seem to grasp this?  I have a Tesco contract and need to keep my Uk number working for banks of course! Barclays and Wise! Don't even understand how dual sim keeps ur number going just don't get it!

Please make fresh separate posts with new questions, although Toon is a top Gent and always will always answer. But your question(s) might help others.

Your phone has a sim card and likely to have only one SIM slot and thus only one  card in it so to switch.to a Cyprus mobile service the UK sim card will have to be removed and  Cyprus sim inserted and this will need to be reversed each time to use the UK sim  card.

It is easier to get a dual SIM phone a cheapy will do and have both the UK sim and Cyprus SIM inserted .. but be aware the phone will need to be an unlocked one to be able to use a Cyprus SIM card .... OR buy a cheap phone in Cyprus with a cyrus SIM card
.. OR makes sure your Tesco contract phone is unlocked from Tesco allowing you to switch the SIM cards if and when necessary...... and tell.your banks insurance companies etc your new Cyprus number...

Are you sure Barclays will allow you to continue your banking  .. Wise am sure will.

I ve created a new subject for you Eileen

Toon wrote:

Are you sure Barclays will allow you to continue your banking  .. Wise am sure will.

Barclays is one of the few banks that still allows you to have an account with you being a resident overseas. I still have my account with them, I only use it for a pocket money account when I visit the UK.

Wise also, it doesn't matter where you are. The good thing with Wise is that you can top up the account to the countries currency you are visiting and not being clobbered with silly charges.

Hi, note that you need a bank guarantee for your residency application. It's basically funds that the bank will freeze to cover the cost if you were to be deported. Of course the local banks do this (for a fee), so if you bank elsewhere, you'll need to figure that out. I just went through getting temporary residency as a non-EU citizen. Yes, you also need to show where your money came from to show that it's legal.

Hi Canadianmum. Out of curiosity is that the reason they gave for freezing a sum of money...

Sadly I know a few people who's Barclays accounts were closed as a resident here but having said that another friend a close friend has not as yet had his closed but he is expecting it....

http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/crmd/crmd.nsf … A6003FEEC1

Here the Cyprus government explains the bank guarantee

Foes anyone know how much has to be placed in a bank account and is all of it frozen, it seems up to 3 months ?

€15-30k has been mentioned and sure if you google pink slip  or non EU visa it will throw up a range of immigration lawyers explanations of financial requirements

Wow thanks Canadianmum.... That's interesting....what level And from which country did you move .. I know it sounds and looks obvious but it may not be

Thanks as ever Toon. Gary

What level of guarantee was required to be blocked

Found this so it doesn't apply to all countries

http://www.moi.gov.cy/moi/crmd/crmd.nsf … A6003F9C9D

Gary I don't thinks it's frozen I believe it can be used... Its their idea of ensuring you have funds to support you and your dependants

I don't know what Bank of Cyprus UK is or what arrangement they have. I can tell you that for us, opening a bank account was not easy as non-EU citizens. We needed to show rental agreement... You can't open a bank account as a tourist. Both Bank of Cyprus and Hellenic told us we needed to have residency to open an account, but of course you can't become a resident without a bank account... Finally after a couple of weeks of escalating the issue, we were finally "allowed" to open an account. And we had a lawyer, by the way.

I assume you are from Canada and as such maybe it's different for you as compared to non EU europeans IE Brits.... As they have have long standing historical links with the island of Cyprus....not all good I may add...  A little unfair but it is what it is ..

Canadian is non-EU. At immigration, you are either EU or non-EU.

Yes I know that but sadly not quite the same  .. as the bank guarantee proves as it looks to me as though European non EU don't need a bank guarantee but do need to deposit a sum in a Cyprus bank

No they advised linking my account to a Uk address.