Born in Toamasina living in NJ USA moving to Mada permanently

Hello, I am an American citizen and planning to move to Mada in the near future with my husband. My mother is malagasy and I was born in Madagascar. I am planning for an early retirement and looking forward to move to Mada from USA.
1.How do I get my permanent residency?
2. I have a land that my cousin would need to transfer to my name. What is the process for that?
3. I will be building a 3 bedrooms house on that property. Does the builder take care of the pernit? What would be the approximate cost to build a 3 bedrooms, 2 baths open concept house? I am looking for a rough estimate.
4. Whats the cost of living for 2 persons? Normal living nothing fancy.
5. Is there a good healthcare facility available? I have some light medical conditions that requires followups.

My land is in Antetezapasika a subset of Toamasina. 

Thank you
Jo

Check the website of the EDBM.  They are the sole authority in this case and you should email them and chat about your circumstances. https://edbm.mg/accord-dembarquement/

It is important to note that if you plan to live here you cannot transform a tourist visa so it is very important that you follow the steps, so you do not have to leave the country and come  back again.  Also very important that you bring a police report with you from the country where you live, you will need this for your first application.  You may be able to apply for a Malagasy nationality straight away and then the rest of the issues will disappear.

2. I have a land that my cousin would need to transfer to my name. What is the process for that?

It really will depend a lot on the status of the land and the status of your visa, and your question is not specific enough.  You can get a notary to take care of this for you when you arrive.

3. I will be building a 3 bedrooms house on that property. Does the builder take care of the pernit? What would be the approximate cost to build a 3 bedrooms, 2 baths open concept house? I am looking for a rough estimate.

You can hire an architect to do your drawings for around 7,000 - 12,000 ariary per habitable metre2.  They will give you a full set of plans for your construction permit, and, a list of the estimated materials required for construction.  Make sure you specify clearly what the deliverables are when you agree a price.  You then submit this to the town hall for your building permit, or you could pay someone to do it.  At the moment here in Fort Dauphin the average cost of construction is 1,400,000 ariary per m2 of habitable surface including materials and labour for the building to lock up stage and does not include any tiling or painting etc.

Better someone else answers that I do not know if my life is basic or fancy.

5. Is there a good healthcare facility available? I have some light medical conditions that requires followups.

Depends from town to town.  Someone in Toamasina would be good to answer that.

Hello, hope you are doing well.  Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions in such details. It is very helpful in giving me an overall insight on where to get started.

Regards
Jo

If you have a malagasy embassy near you, you should visit them… the paperwork here can sometimes be confusing but it is only that, paperwork, nothing to get stressed about, you just need to follow the procedures.

Ah that's a great suggestion actually and I do have a Malagasy embassy near me. I will reach out. Thanks much again.
Take care
Jo

Hi

To answer your questions
Better check at MFA first https://evisa.diplomatie.gov.mg/index.php/en/

The estate law is under review now and if the high constitutional court validates the amendment, your cousin better aquire a land title before transferring property because land certificate would no longer be secure

If you hire a construction agency, it would charge between 2 to 4 million Ariary per meter square with your custom house at delivery. I personally resorted to an agency and it costed me 200 million for a two store house in town (186 square meters in total)

I'd say 2 million monthly excluding emergencies and vacations

Central Toamasina there are

Hi, thanks much for replying to my questions. Could you please elaborate on the difference between land title vs land certificate? So far I only saw a "karinem-pokontany' with name & lot number. Would that be the certificate?

Regards
Jo

Hi

In the Malagasy estate law, land title is the most secure form of proof of property. Only a few are issued because acquiring it takes time and money. In the 2003s, the State facilitated land acquisition by decentralising land planning so that district authorities could issue land certificates in rural areas. The updated law restores the ancient rule that only land titles are valid and only the central estate ministry can issue land certificates, not district authorities anymore. Theoretically the land in Toamasina should be registered with a land title reference issued by the ministry to secure the owner. I mean only persons with land titles are the real owners according to the law

Hi there, I now understand the difference. Thank you. I've got to look further into this and adress as needed.
Best
Jo

PLEASE SPEAK IN FRENCH  !

C'est bon jai recu les reponses de mes questions. Merci!
Votre message en majuscule donne l'impression que vous etes en train de crier ou de donner des ordres. Ecrire en francais est un peu difficile:-)

Hello,

As a kind reminder, I would like to emphasize that the Madagascar forum is English-speaking.

For all of you seeking to converse in French, please head to the French-speaking forum dedicated to Madagascar here: Forum Madagascar.

Thanks,

Diksha
Expat.com twam

jacquesmadec42 wrote:

PLEASE SPEAK IN FRENCH  !

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=4047

This is the English-speaking section of the forum. Please use the link I have given if you prefer French

Thank you. I am in the correct english speaking forum correct? I don't want to offend amyone.

Thanks
Jo

Saadijo wrote:

Thank you. I am in the correct english speaking forum correct? I don't want to offend amyone.

Thanks
Jo

You are correct.  :cheers:

Hi I am a German/American living in Toamasina at the moment.

To get a permanent residency you first need a long term visa and after obtaining this you can apply for permanent residency.

Can help you with your other request too, but we should communicate more to give you some accurate information and numbers.

You can get everything (building permit, etc.) but it depends on many factors and the time frame you have in mind. To shortcut you have to pay some extra cash on the side, otherwise it will take a long time if you go the official way.

so best would be to have some more chat before I or my wife can point you in the correct direction.

Daily life is fairly cheap, especially compared to the USA. All things imported from Europe or the US are about the same price as there with some having an add up of about 20%.
All things local are a fraction of the prices you know from the US (i.e. fresh veggies and fruits, local meat and cheese)
if you need to hire people they are also only a fraction of the US cost (a good plumber is about 50 USD for a whole day - with good negotiating even less)

Looking forward to hearing from you

Hi, thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. Do you like it there?

I love it. Once you get familiar of how life goes in Tamatave,  it's a perfect place

@Saadijo Hey, I think you have already most of the answers for your questions but, just to say that, if you were born here, it means you have a Malagasy nationality right? So I do not think you need a permanent visa. But I am not an expert so checking the official websites is still the best option