Uber in Bavaro/Punta Cana

As some of you may be aware Uber and other digital taxi formats have been regulated very recently and and limitations on where they can pick up passengers has been defined - 1 kilometre from any location where tourist taxi companies are located - for example at the airport and resort.

Intrant will regulate taxi platforms like Uber and Didi

They must serve a kilometer or more away from tourist taxis, register their information and those of their drivers

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … IN29713469

Tempers are boiling in the Punta Cana/Bavaro area as described in the article below from today:

Politur investigates taxi drivers who argued with tourists for preferring Uber in Bávaro

https://www.diariolibre.com/actualidad/ … DB30024142

As a result of the incident between traditional taxi drivers with Spanish tourists in the tourist area of ​​Bávaro, Punta Cana, who preferred the service of the Uber platform , the Central Directorate of the Tourism Police (Politur) reported that it works on the identification, capture and Subsequent submission to justice of the men at the wheel who ran over the foreigners.

Through a press release, the agency reported that the investigation of this fact is carried out in conjunction with the Preventive Directorate of the National Police.

"We are conducting investigations into the incident and at the same time, carrying out all the competent procedures for the identification, capture and submission of those involved in said event, before the competent bodies," the document cites.

Likewise, Politur reiterated its "commitment to national tourist security and, in turn, the guarantee of compliance with all the norms corresponding to good coexistence and the well-being of tourists who honorably visit our Dominican Republic."

The incident was recorded by tourists and the Uber driver who went to pick up the users of the platform in the Uvero Alto area, Punta Cana, where traditional taxi drivers provide their services.

According to the story, the traditionalists dismounted the tourists from the Uber driver's vehicle, in accordance with the controversial regulation 515-21 of the Intrant, which establishes that "taxis by communication or technological platform must have, no less than a linear kilometer of distance from the area where the traditional tourist taxis provide the service ”.

"You comply with the law of Spain in Spain, we comply with the Dominican law here in Dominican", one of the taxi drivers told the Spanish national, when she complained, since she opted for the digital platform because in Spain "it works very well ”.

The lady counted eight drivers who were confronting the taxi driver that she hired for their displacement.

Seeing the situation, the Uber driver took the initiative to invite tourists to walk a few meters ahead in order to take them to their destination. He withdrew from the place calling the conventional drivers "lions and owners of Bávaro Punta Cana . "

How can you blame people paying 8-10 vs 40-50.

Not only is Uber cheaper, but it's much easier for visitors who don't speak Spanish to use. You designate your pickup and drop-off location in the app without having to speak or understand Spanish, you know exactly how much your ride is going to cost, and you can tip directly in the app.

And it's super easy to share your ride details, including the driver's name, make & model of the car, license plate, and your location with others if you have any safety concerns.

After Video went out, Politur located the driver and took him to Politur office.  Uber is already register as plataform taxi company, and now Intrant and Mitur and working to prepare what will be the rules for uber in tourist sector.

https://twitter.com/SIN24Horas/status/1 … 7007664133

DRVisitor wrote:

How can you blame people paying 8-10 vs 40-50.

Some other cases diference is 70.00 and 100.00 dollars.   Now time change and the dumbs taxi drivers can not see and understand the message sent by the tourist, they walk 1km  carrying all their stuffs to take the uber .  They do not see that they must change, end their monopoly and their very expensive rates.  Im sure if they drop their prices and charge 3 dollars more than uber rates no body is going waste time walking and waitting for an uber, more tourist will want to go out.

Travelers now are not the same ones from 10 or 15 years ago, and Dominican Republic is not the same neither.

The other side of this story is that taxi drivers / owners pay stupid fees for the right to service  those tourist areas.   Letting in another company who does NOT pay those fees is not fair either.

Level the playing field!  Let qualified companies / drivers compete for the business!

I agree fees can be  too high and more equal competition is needed to the strongly unionised transportation sector. There is no quick fix balancing the aspirations of the tourists and 'sindicos' and it will cotinue to be a balanced approach when union leaders like Marte, a FP senator, is in a position of influence.

These are some of the measures put in place in the new regulations for digital platforms to eliminate the shortfalls of some Uber drivers:

Measures for drivers

As part of the Technical Regulations of the Taxi Transportation Service, platform taxi drivers will have to register with the Intrant to be authorized to operate as such, where they will be required to have a criminal record document certifying that they have not been convicted of crimes of a sexual nature or against children, in addition to an anti-doping test and their corresponding personal documents and vehicle insurance. A points card will also be put into operation for drivers and license owners in which various sanctions may be received, including the definitive withdrawal of the license, taking into account the faults that are counted to the holder.

This is good ONLY if it applies to all Uber, taxis, carrots publico, gua guas, and all tourist transportation companies equally!  Every single one!  Not just the ones they want to limit or control!

Agree that the fees and regulations need to be applied equally to all providers!

In the US, most airports charge a fee for Uber pickups. That fee is passed along to the rider.

I've always wondered with the expensive taxis here, how much money actually goes to the driver. I always make a point to tip well, with the hope that the driver gets to keep all of that money. Even with Uber in the capital, we often give a cash tip outside the app.

For taxis, some are owner operators and some  "rent" the taxi for their shifts or for long term but do not actually own the license. 

Uber -  they get  100% of their tip money I am told when it is done off the app.

hi
i will be in Samaná El Catey International Airport, also called Aeropuerto Internacional Presidente Juan Bosch airport  January can i use the uber app? because I understand it is cheaper ten Taxi any rough idea how much should it be?

No Uber there yet.

freeperson wrote:

hi
i will be in Samaná El Catey International Airport, also called Aeropuerto Internacional Presidente Juan Bosch airport  January can i use the uber app? because I understand it is cheaper ten Taxi any rough idea how much should it be?

As Planner said, no Uber in Samana yet. From what I understand, a taxi from AZS to Las Terrenas will run about $50. There is a toll of 585 DOP on the most direct route. Going the other way, through Sanchez, avoids the toll but will add 15 minutes to the drive.

Can anyone recommend a taxi service from Punta Cana airport to
Juan Dolio , Late Evening  Jan 02  Sun. And expected cost ,
2 Passengers + baggage , TIA.

I use Santo Domingo Taxi. Safe, professional drivers, competitive rates, fantastic service.

Tell Ken that Denise sent you!

I took several ubers way back in july around the santo domingo area.. I must agree, UBER is waaaay cheaper, has nicer cars, air conditioning works and everything is saved digitally, including your trip route, fare charges, fees, etc.
something I see all the time is that drivers complain about the uber fares.. I mean, if they are complaining, why are they driving? haha....

I paid roughly 750 pesos for a 50 minute ride (43 km) from Santo Domingo to Bani. I found it super cheap so I paid it without any problems and added a 700 pesos tip as well.

Taxi asking 150us $ from Samana airport to Las Terrenas that crazy it is only 30 minutes drive

freeperson wrote:

Taxi asking 150us $ from Samana airport to Las Terrenas that crazy it is only 30 minutes drive

looks like someone was trying to score big and go home and drink presidente while listening to some bachata and merengue all week! you don't even make that kind of cash here in the states! thats $300 USD per hour, minus car wear/tear and insurance...

try dominicanairoporttrasfer . Used them multiple times.

Santo Domingo Taxi

Jay012394 wrote:
freeperson wrote:

looks like someone was trying to score big and go home and drink presidente while listening to some bachata and merengue all week! you don't even make that kind of cash here in the states! thats $300 USD per hour, minus car wear/tear and insurance...

WOW, Las Terrenas Bus Station for sure will be better option and try with some body else.

freeperson wrote:

Whoever told you $150 from Samana/El Catey to Las Terrenas was overpriced! It should be $50, which I think is high, but if they take the most direct route from town, they will pay 1170 DOP ($20 US) in tolls, so that explains part of the price.

If you contacted Santo Domingo Taxi, who I referred to someone traveling from Punta Cana, then that makes sense! They are located in the capital and would have to drive all the way to Samana (2 hours) and pay tolls each way ($40 round trip). That would be like calling an NYC cab to pick you up in Philly and drive you to Newark. You need someone local to drive you.