Vietnam Reopening for Tourists, With Conditions

My friend from Canada returned to VN tonight  from his air-border run to Thailand.

Only papers required at VN immigration were his e-Visa ($25), and his passport. In a word (his), "Painless".

Incidentally, the only things he required to enter Thailand without undergoing quarantine, was a PCR negative test result taken within 72 hours prior to departure (~750K VND), a Thailand Pass (free), $10K USD insurance ($19), and his passport. A previously mentioned, he is not vaccinated.
I finally purchased my ticket today.

Ironically for me, I'll be arriving in Vietnam on July 4th, USA Independence Day.

Ironically for me, I'll be arriving in Vietnam on July 4th, USA Independence Day.
- @OceanBeach92107

Independence and marriage… two words not usually associated. 😝
I assume you are traveling on VN Airlines….
Good luck my friend.

- @OceanBeach92107

Good luck my friend.
- @pogiwayne
Thanks buddy.

Yeah, I didn't want to do any of the cheaper options involving connecting flights or multiple airports (Japan) so I'll be flying nonstop from SFO to SGN.

- @OceanBeach92107

Good luck my friend.
- @pogiwayne
1f923.svg

- @OceanBeach92107

Good luck my friend.
- @pogiwayne
Thanks buddy.

Yeah, I didn't want to do any of the cheaper options involving connecting flights or multiple airports (Japan) so I'll be flying nonstop from SFO to SGN.
- @OceanBeach92107

When I return I will probably take that flight. I'm going to US on 13th to take care of some business.
Flights are really pricey right now.  I've made I think 12 round trip flights in the last three years, never paying more than $1,800 with United to Nebraska.  That does add some cost compared to other destinations in the US.  This flight it was $2,400 each for the three of us and I had to go American which I don't like.  My preferred United trip was $3,500 each.
Hello everyone, new member here!

Does anyone have any info on applying for e-visa after overstaying?

I overstayed about 2 months back in March (last visa extention valid until 19th Jan) and left on an exit visa after paying a fine. Since then I've seen some people getting denied e-visa even if they only overstayed a few days or couple weeks. If anyone had any experience or info it'd be much appreciated.
Hello everyone, new member here!

Does anyone have any info on applying for e-visa after overstaying?

I overstayed about 2 months back in March (last visa extention valid until 19th Jan) and left on an exit visa after paying a fine. Since then I've seen some people getting denied e-visa even if they only overstayed a few days or couple weeks. If anyone had any experience or info it'd be much appreciated.
- @Rodan M
Every case is individual.

You really aren't going to know for sure until you risk $25 and apply.

@Rodan M

Sorry dude how much was the fee for overstaying
If it's denied, try an agency like Sunviet.

@plegrove The overstaying fee was actually not that much. 5 mil VND which is about $200, and the process was painless too. My concern now is to comeback to Vietnam.

@Erikji Thanks for replying! Are they going to ask for the $3000 fee to “clear my name from the blacklist” like some posts I've seen floating around?

@OceanBeach92107 Thank you! I think I might have to do just that since it does seem like such an arbitrary occurence…

@Erikji Thanks for replying! Are they going to ask for the $3000 fee to “clear my name from the blacklist” like some posts I've seen floating around?

I don't know how much, but I know they are serious, I used them for some other things. Not cheap but high quality service (they have good connections at immigration).
If you are really blacklisted (so far not sure at all), you will have no other choice but to pay what the immigration + agent want anyway, or wait some years.
Another tip to try first: you can change your passport. With a new passport, your number will be different and they won't find you in their system. (At least in Europe we have a new number each time we renew the passport, maybe it's not the case in all countries.)
If it's denied, try an agency like Sunviet.
- @Erikji

Sunviet have not been responding to my emails and Zalo messages for the past 3 weeks......I think that they may have closed in Da Nang!?!
Sunviet have not been responding to my emails and Zalo messages for the past 3 weeks......I think that they may have closed in Da Nang!?!
- @QPR_FC
They didn't close, try their FB page "Vietnam visa Expert - Sunviet".
I used it in HCMC, I don't know how their staff is in Danang.
They didn't close, try their FB page "Vietnam visa Expert - Sunviet".
I used it in HCMC, I don't know how their staff is in Danang.
- @Erikji

Unresponsive !!

I write them off after a few failed attempts at a new customer sale.....I just imagine the quality of service I would receive if there is an issue to be resolved
@Rodan M

yup, happened to me, i overstayed 3 weeks end of January, but applied for an exit visa before my visa expired. I thought i did everything by the book, alas, my e-visa got denied (twice) this month without explanation. I wanted to return to VN to help my GF pack her things as we're moving to europe together, but now she has to travel on her own. 
It seems really arbitrary as i know of similar cases who had no issue entering VN again.
My E-visa was approved today, within the 3 working days time period promised.

Anyone with questions about the simple process, let me know.
@OceanBeach92107

Congratulation OB. Welcome to Vietnam or I must say welcome back home?

1f600.svg
@OceanBeach92107
Still 30 days, OB?

Roger
@OceanBeach92107
Still 30 days, OB?

Roger
- @RTLisSB
Yes.

30 day limit; no change on that.

There will definitely be a new thread started when there is a significant change in Visa policy.
Easy arrival Tuesday night.  Just like the old days.  No covid check, no checking of papers, no proof of negative covid test needed even in Japan as long as you don't leave the inernational terminal.  Just normal immigration.
@SteinNebraska
Great news, Stein.

Thanks for sharing the experience!

Roger

- @OceanBeach92107

Hi OB,
When I applied for the eVisa, I have been asked for  writing my "full name = first name middle name last name". On my visa, it's written "họ tên = "my first name"  "my last name". It's not correct but it has been ok for me to enter in Vietnam but I wonder what is the best way for the next times.
Thanks in advance for your advices about this ambiguous case :-)
Laurent (Larry)

- @OceanBeach92107

Hi OB,
When I applied for the eVisa, I have been asked for  writing my "full name = first name middle name last name". On my visa, it's written "họ tên = "my first name"  "my last name". It's not correct but it has been ok for me to enter in Vietnam but I wonder what is the best way for the next times.
Thanks in advance for your advices about this ambiguous case :-)
Laurent (Larry)
- @Laurent futur Nha Trang

"Write your full name as it appears in the ICAO line of your passport data page"

quick question.....Has any one tried applying for e visa "back to back" for like 6 months? 1f609.svg
quick question.....Has any one tried applying for e visa "back to back" for like 6 months? 1f609.svg
- @jglander

The opening was March 15 so only 4 have been issued so far.

- @jglander

The opening was March 15 so only 4 have been issued so far.

- @pogiwayne
And you've been successfully doing back-to-back eVisas from inside Vietnam with a border run at least once, correct?
@OceanBeach92107

I have not..... I asked if anyone has.... In in the US now...."moving to Vietnam" I wanted to know if any one tried in online.....  When i'm ready ill try just wanted to know if anyone did it with success...

Thank you
@OceanBeach92107

I have not..... I asked if anyone has.... In in the US now...."moving to Vietnam" I wanted to know if any one tried in online.....  When i'm ready ill try just wanted to know if anyone did it with success...

Thank you
- @jglander

He was replying to Pogiwayne.
@OceanBeach92107

Thank you
- @jglander
@jglander:

As Colin kindly noted, I wasn't replying to you, but to the person who had already replied to you.

You'll get the hang of reading these threads (until admin changes the interface, again...)

However, since you are (on the one hand) talking about the possibility of stringing together 6 consecutive 30-day tourist eVisas, and on the other hand are saying you are "moving" to Vietnam, I hope you realize that, under current visa restrictions, you'll never get into a legal temporary resident situation unless you have a lot of money to invest ($130,000.00 USD for 3 years or about $26,000.00 USD for 1 year) OR you are able to be legally hired to work in Vietnam (English teacher?) OR you marry a Vietnamese citizen.

Good luck with your "moving" plans.

Cheers!

O.B.
Vietnam Advisor
Expat.com team

@OceanBeach92107
Wow there's a nonstop flight from sfo to hcmc? I wonder if there's one from Seattle?
@OceanBeach92107
Wow there's a nonstop flight from sfo to hcmc? I wonder if there's one from Seattle?
- @ivanactor

Contact the airlines to answer your Q.
@OceanBeach92107
- @ivanactor
Not on Vietnam Airlines.

Check Google Flights for other options (no one has mentioned any...)

@SteinNebraska I also arrived Tuesday trouble-free for a 15-day “visa free” entry, UK passport, without any vaccination certificate checks anywhere (travelled via Dubai), I just had to present at TSN immigration the departing ticket for a flight out on July 13. No questions by the airline at check-in or in transit about why I didn't have a visa.

I just applied for another 1-month e-visa to HCMC in August/September.  I hope they start issuing longer visas soon. 

This time I will try the Vietnam Airlines flight from San Francisco, in premium economy.  I hope it is comfortable. 
Thanks for that. I usually go premium economy too. What's the price range like out of SF? I'm from Vancouver, CA.
Closed