Me, my husband and our dog .... in PNG !?!

Hi everyone,

my husband and me got a job offer at PNG. we will be most of the time at Port moresby, and my husband will be going also to Lae and to the highlands.
i was looking a lot on the web the last few days and besides being a wonderful beautiful place, i read that crime is a real big problem.
So, my biggest question is about the personal security -
is it safe for a white women? is it safe for my husband to travel around ?

another question - we really want to being our lovely dog with us... are thier any places to walk with him (safe places...) at POM ? any advise?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome on board GITamir!

I hope other members will advise you soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi Armand

I have spent several wonderful holidays in Mauritius, truly one of the most beautiful islands in the world!

Hi Jennifer!

If you say so ... :P

I lived in PNG for 19 years and it is not safe.  Your husband's employer should provide you with secure accommodation - make sure of this as some areas in POM are better than others.  Most areas where expats live will probably have security.  Be very careful - most people are lovely but there is no unemployment benefit and not enough jobs.

i don't know about the quaranteen period for your dog, it might even be 6 months.  I think going from PNG to Australia it's six months so you may like to rethink.

The cost of living is very high, so you may think your husband is offered a good salary but it might not look so good once you get there

Having said that I loved every day of my 19 years there, I only left when I was forced to admit to myself that I wasn't safe.  But that hasn't stopped me loving it even  though I know it would be a mistake to go back

Hi Raines, Thanks for your reply !

all the comments i read are ambivalent
- its not safe, but still people love living there

the offer is for two years, and im really in a conflict about it, as its a great opportunity ...

do you know to tell me how safe it is driving around the country? like from POM to LAE and to the Highlands?

It is not safe.  They will stop you and demand money because the Government does not fund road maintenance so they use that as an excuse to rob people - and robbing you is the lease of your worries.  Yes expats still live there but be very conscious of security.  I'd say give it a go and if the stress (and it is stressful - you need to be careful even going to the supermarket in the middle of the day) is too much then you need to rethink.

wow !
definatly something to think about...

in a week, my 'boss to be' will return from there and i will ask him all about the security arrangements the company will provide.
thanks again for your reply - it helps a lot!

by the way, you live in one of the most amazing countries on earth... I LOVE AUSTRALIA !!

From POM
Raines sumed it up very well, it is very different, depends on where you are coming from. It's better to be pre warned.  It's a big step you are taking just make sure you negotiate a really good contract as it is expemsive and the social life is limiting.

Despite having to watch your back all the time I had a great social life, I lived in POM, Vanimo, Kimbe, Kundiawa, Rabaul, Mendi, Wabag, Goroka, Madang and often POM in between.  The last eighteen months or so running a couple of businesses in POM with some very good friends.  Even in the times of curfew in POM we had a ball - too late to go home, well just have another drink and stay.

When I went shopping at Boroko, three of my staff (highlanders) would always insist on coming with me.  One walked each side of me and one behind.   Loyalty like that is what I remember and why I didn't want to leave

Seems you're getting good advice about general life - re dog (was my biggest concern!) check out the great info I got on these conversations: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=81091https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=85637
My husband had an opportunity in POM and we decided against it in the end for various reasons, good luck in making your decision :-)

Thanks again for all the responds...
it alwyas better to hear from people that actually live in the place ...

another question - regarding the everyday life after work hour (also both of us are going to be working... alot!) -
is it possible to go and see and enjoy all the amazing scenery of PNG on the weekend for example, or is it so unsafe that you just stay all the time at your secured home ?? (that sounds like jail to me...)

Nay82 - i tried send an e-mail threw the address you wrote, still waiting for their reply!

If you are based in POM then options are somewhat limited as the rosding infrastructure is 3rd world.  Getting from POM to Lae is not driveable.  After hours the Yacht club is a really good option safe and affordable.  Eating out is also OK depends on your budget and salary negotiations/package.  Social interactions are important and vital, there are various clubs associations you can join.

[email protected]

Hi all, I was checking out this forum because we too have been offered work in PNG.. But seems my concerns have been answered just be reading some of the posts.. From what I gather; It is unsafe, expensive.. And every day life would be pretty much confined to a secure complex because of security issues. What do other expats do all day locked up in a complex? Is there any compelling factors in getting an Aussie to move to PNG? Thanks  :)

hi Aussiebroncos, welcome!

Im adding another question - are they any gyms or sports clubs in POM?

since im getting really good answers from this forum (thank you all again!) - i have one more Q - what can you tell me about gluten free food? is it easy to find? is it very expensive? is the local food celiac frindly?

Thanks GITamar!

If you and your husband do decide to go ahead and move to PNG, I'd love to hear how you are finding life over there. You seem to have the same concerns as we do, so should you feel inclined, I would be very interested to hear of your experiences.

To all the other forum posters.. Can anyone tell me what a 'secure complex' is actually like? I'll appreciate any answers!

Thanks heaps.

Hello Aussiebroncos!

It would have been better if you start a new topic on the forum for better visibility.

Harmonie.

hi Aussiebroncos

we got the job and suppose to move to PNG around October - November.
i'll let you know how we adjust and hope i can spill a bit of light on our questions :)

Bringing a pet into PNG is almost impossible directly - just about the only way is via an extensive quarantine period in Australia or if you can wangle some kind of diplomatic connection.
The regulatory authority is called NAQIA.
Good luck

I'm an Australian Expat living in POM with my husband and our two small children (under 5).  I love it.  I have never been more social in my entire life, nor have I been this busy - and I'm not working.
It is not a safe place to live, but if you stick to the guide lines (of which there are many) and don't go where you know you shouldn't at a time that you know you shouldn't then you don't have a lot to be scared of.  Be smart all the time and you have very little risk.
It is expensive if you have to pay your own accomodation costs, but most companies provide housing - all of which are in secure compounds in good areas, and the extra money you earn living here goes towards the slight increase in grocery costs.  Most things are much cheaper.  You can eat out in a very good restaurant for about $10 aussie dollars, a beer at the yacht club will set you back $2, and you can buy a bunch of the best bananas you'll ever taste for about 50cents.  Your contract should also include medical insurance including medivac, memberships to at least two social or sporting clubs, schooling for your children if applicable, personal GPS security monitoring, flights home to your country of employment and a week R&R in Cairns once a year.  These things are fairly standard now.  Electricity should also be included if you can get it - this is possibly the most expensive thing here after rent, especially if you like to use the A/C.
With regards to your dog - I have a friend who has brought her Cocker Spaniel over from Australia.  There is no quarantine on the way in.  But the air freight for pets is quite expensive and stressful on the animal.  The problem is when you return.  I think it is 3 months in Austalian Quarantine and you pay by the day.   Also, you may not have a yard and there is NOWHERE to walk a dog unless you live in a good compound with roads and gardens.  Vet care is not outstanding either.
There are loads of Gyms and health clubs, a lot of sporting clubs, running, cycling, bushwalking, sailing, diving, walking triathalon etc clubs and groups. 
It's a fun and exciting city with a fabulous community of like minded, fun loving, adventurous people and a terrific place to live and work.  However, if you're not the kind of person that moves around easily, meets people easily and aren't open to new adventures and challenging days - then don't come.
Good luck with your decision making. :-)

Also, the local supermarkets now stock a good selection of Gluten Free products out of Australia. Boroko Food Worls is the best and appears to have a large and varied selection.

Check out

smartraveller.gov.au

they have just issued a new travel advise.