Finding a job in the Philippines during the pandemic

Hi everyone,

Looking for a job in the Philippines is not something you can take lightly, especially now. If you found a new job in the Philippines during the pandemic or if you are currently searching for one, we would like to know how it went.

How did you go about it? Which job board do you recommend? Did you use a headhunter?
In which sector did you find a job?

Did you train in order to find a new position? If so, which training course(s) did you follow and why?

What about your package? How does it compare with your previous jobs and are you satisfied with it?

What are the most important elements to prioritise or negotiate in a package for a job in the Philippines in 2021?

Thanks for your contribution!

Diksha,
Expat.com team

I suppuse its much harder now in covid times.
Im MAKING jobs by starting a new business now   :)      (For myself plus Filipinos plus we have contact allready with two foreigners with own businesses, who perhaps will export the products we will make.)

So I suppouse best chance for foreigners to get a job in Phils is to make one. ..

Hi what are u making to sell ? I'm in Baguio

cltisdale wrote:

Hi what are u making to sell ? I'm in Baguio

I dont tell  :)  because I want to go on buying more such businesses cheap without competitin raising the prices of the businesses,  until we dont want any more (which will take at least 4 years because we will buy more such for the money wil earn by them we are buying now which I expect will take around 4 years until old owners ae corrected. Probably it will be third such purchase from money we will earn from the second too. Then we will perhaps be satisfied  :) 

Baguio.  "The onion place". The Philippines are short of onions because of shortage of soils and locations suiting growing that and garlic so they are "standard" among the most profitable crops  in Phils. Baguio and a few places more in Phils suit to grow them.  Much are "exported" to the rest of Phils from Baguio region.
Phil s is so short of onions so someone even tried to smugle a bunch of containers with oinions saying to the customs it was coffe cups and such   :lol:   but got caught.

Before covid a Filipino earned good by growing. leasing and organising VEGS transports from south Luzon somewhere to Manila.,
I know there were lorry loads going from Baguio to Manila too, but I believe more like singlöe truck owners than biger organiced as te vegs from south.

So Baguio can be a good place to be at for onion and garlic related business. Perhaps you can get a piece of that pie by geting involved in growing or trading.

I dont know if there is any "Harvest sharing" concerning onions as in several places e g concerning rice. Thats a very simple way to earn money if finding good farmers to cooperae with. "Harvest sharing" is like temporary partnerships for a growth period from planting to harvest where one have land and do the work while the other just finance.   Common deals depend of crop and situation but for rice its common with financiere get money back plus 25- 40 percent of the rest. 
I knew a Filipina who pushed max and almost doubled her money in 4 months a GOOD year.  A bad year it can be a loss, but mostly good earning.
I know two foreigners who did such mainly to be nice to some farmers they knew and asked only 10 percent share.  One newer got foopled, the other didnt get pay ONE time.
In difference from money lending, this is good deal for BOTH partners by te farmer get much better harvest by geting proper fertilizer plus farmer pay a share of EARNING instead of ridicous  high interest, so "Harvest sharing" is NICE opportunity to give poor farmers.   Alternatives for poor farmers are lending with crazy high interest, or borrow from trader and be FORCED to sell the crop to that trader for the price the TRADER decide.)
If do "Harvest sharing" just look up to not make any dangerpus one angry by they lost that farmer.

coach53 wrote:

Baguio.  "The onion place". The Philippines are short of onions because of shortage of soils and locations suiting growing that and garlic so they are "standard" among the most profitable crops  in Phils. Baguio and a few places more in Phils suit to grow them.  Much are "exported" to the rest of Phils from Baguio region.

Phil s is so short of onions so someone even tried to smugle a bunch of containers with oinions saying to the customs it was coffe cups and such   :lol:   but got caught.

You can't find a decent sweet onion in the Philippines, so I decided to grow my own. I imported seeds from the US with lots of red tape, fees from Baranday & business license,   clearance  and fees from the Department of Agriculture, paperwork for Customs clearance and Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency and lots of help from the local FedEX agent once everything arrive in the Philippines.

I bought two Mars Grow Tents and two sets of Led Grow lights, Miracle Grow water soluble plant food from the states, fabric grow bags and 15 bags of loam soil.

Complete failure, but I'm still trying.

I have:
Texas Yellow Granex Sweet Onion Seeds,
Walla Walla Sweet Onion Seeds,
Vidalia Sweet Onion Seeds,
Ailsa Craig Expedition Onion (Giant) Seeds.

Also a variety of Tomato seeds for big plump Tomatoes, also a failure.

I tried to control the environment: Sun Light, Sun Light Cycle, Temperature, Soil and Fertilizers.

Enzyte Bob wrote:

You can't find a decent sweet onion in the Philippines, so I decided to grow my own. I imported seeds from the US with lots of red tape, fees from Baranday & business license,   clearance  and fees from the Department of Agriculture, paperwork for Customs clearance and Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency and lots of help from the local FedEX agent once everything arrive in the Philippines.

I bought two Mars Grow Tents and two sets of Led Grow lights, Miracle Grow water soluble plant food from the states, fabric grow bags and 15 bags of loam soil.

I have:

I tried to control the environment: Sun Light, Sun Light Cycle, Temperature, Soil and Fertilizers.

What type of failure)?
Forj just growing for own use in small scale, I guess solvable. 
I dont know why it functions in Baguio and a few other locations.
Im guessing:
Good drainage?  Not compact soil there? Altitude? 

/E g a normal good location for root crops failed some years by to much rain and not enouh drainage.
/Some crops dont like to hot, so they need higher altitude. 
/I tried some root crops, but them suppoued to become round ended up thin as a common root   :lol:  by compact soil.

All (=only three of which one is tiny)  the good locations for onions I know of in Phils are in mountains or hils so perhap they have both less hot and good drainage?

coach53 wrote:
Enzyte Bob wrote:

I have:

What type of failure)?

Forj just growing for own use in small scale, I guess solvable. 
I dont know why it functions in Baguio and a few other locations.
Im guessing:
Good drainage?  Not compact soil there? Altitude? 

/E g a normal good location for root crops failed some years by to much rain and not enouh drainage.
/Some crops dont like to hot, so they need higher altitude. 
/I tried some root crops, but them suppoued to become round ended up thin as a common root   :lol:  by compact soil.

All (=only three of which one is tiny)  the good locations for onions I know of in Phils are in mountains or hils so perhap they have both less hot and good drainage?

The first onions, Vidalia,  I tried to grow had many sprout in 16 oz cups, transplanted the 16 healthiest plants to 15 cm (6inches) grow bags with drainage. Onions grew to about 1 inch in diameter.

Tomatoes come in two types determinate & indeterminate. They were grown in three gallon woven grow bags with drainage. The indeterminate are really like vines and outgrew the grow tent and had to be put outside and couldn't survive the temperature and had no pollination.

The determinate grow to a 1 meter height have fruit and die. With fans in the grow tent for pollination the tomatoes were very small, smaller than supermarket tomatoes. The grow tents are in our bedroom so the temperature is controlled, as our aircon runs 24/7. Tomatoes are supposed to be the easiest to grow, people in the states have to give them away as their garden crop is so abundant.

One grow tent was for onions and the other for tomatoes. I had more luck growing Herb in the states 30 years ago.

I would kill for a big juicy tomato and a large sweet onion. So the next time somebody inquires on what to ship to the Philippines when they move, I will tell them to bring their own onions and tomatoes.

Enzyte Bob wrote:

The first onions, Vidalia,  I tried to grow had many sprout in 16 oz cups, transplanted the 16 healthiest plants to 15 cm (6inches) grow bags with drainage. Onions grew to about 1 inch in diameter.]

Compact soil?   Perhaps wrong fertilized ?  I dont know about onions, even iif correct proportions TOTAL. some crops can need big diference in diferent phazes.

Enzyte Bob wrote:

tomato and a large sweet onion. So the next time somebody inquires on what to ship to the Philippines when they move, I will tell them to bring their own onions and tomatoes.

In that directiom, not the opposite  :)     When girlfriend to a friend of mine moved to Sweden permanent, a big part of her heavy lagguage were onions, so she didnt become happy when she got told , inspite of much higher vegs price in Sweden in average, onions cost LESS than she had bought them for  :lol: