Residence permit (ikamet) / Bank account conditions

Hi all,

I am brand new here and brand new in Turkey. I have had a look at the forum but could not find an answer to my following question.
I am about to apply for a residence permit for one year as my wife (Turkish citizen) is going to work from Istanbul for a year. I remain employed by my company in France so I don't qualify for work visa.
My question is around the supporting documents for permit application, especially the ones showing my financial support. Do I have to open a Turkish bank account and transfer money in TL to show the sufficient funds for my stay or could I use my French bank statement with € (once again sufficient funds)? If the latter, is there any translation / other validation steps to fulfill for these French bank statements?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Julien

Sir, don't transfer any money in Turkey.
They should accept your bank statement.
Worse case spend money for an official translation of the bank statement.
TL it is very unstable.  You don't need headache. If you want, you can open a bank account in Turkey for one year, and transfer online (using the phone) the founds from your card to the card in Turkey. Just the amount you spend monthly.
After this Corona crisis, you don't know what will happen. French banks for example, diny money transfer in other countries. They just abuse people. Is crazy but true.  I don't know about Turkish bank system, but I was shocked by the French system. I couldn't imagine that one can't do whatever wants with own money !!!
But I am surprised you can't get a work permit, with a Turkish wife ...
Being married with a Turkish woman (citizen) you have rights to passport in Turkey, right to have residence permit and work permit as well. Talk with a lawyer. You never know. Turkey has free and good health care system like In EU.
Success !!!

Thanks for your reply Pariste.
Actually I can't get a work visa because I don't qualify for it. As well as for the Turkish citizenship yet.
I know TL is unstable vs EUR/USD and that is why I really am in favor of keeping my money in Euros now and exchanging it bit by bit.
I did not have any trouble using my euros in Turkey here though, whether paying with credit cards or converting euros into TL. I am surprised of your experience. If you continue so I recommend you to use online money conversion services or online banking with multi-currency accounts. It works quite well, fast and they are reasonable pricewise.

How to use banking online? Buy any thing online? Foods?

Hi, I meant online banking like banks which are pure players on the web: you open an account online. These are the ones with the cheapest fares for converting money and sending money abroad.

I have a one year residency permit and likewise receive my income outside of Turkey. I had bank statements available when I applied, but was never asked for them.

Regarding banks online.
Revolut it is a good choice.