Not paying credit card bills and leaving SG

Hi,
I worked in SG for 3 years and had 16k debt in one bank. I lost the job due to COVID and came back to India. Currently, I am jobless and have to pay 500SGD as a monthly installment. From this month, I cannot pay the debt since I have no income source. What if I am not paying the bills for few months (3-5)?  If I am not paying the total sum, will they come to India to issue a notice or am I get any police problems in India?
Please help me in this matter, I need help since no job, I couldn't make my payment on time.
Now I applied for US VISA and it is on hold bcz of the COVID issue in India. Is it a problem if I leave for the US without paying the amount?

best
Kr

Kr: You also sent the same to me as PM. We discourage doing that - posting a message here is sufficient and PMs are reserved for private messages.
To answer your question: Not paying your debt, like other examples of not doing what you promised (here: in the loan contract), is legally and morally questionable - and you can get into trouble for it. I hope you learn from this to never spend more than you have!
Unless you find a mutually agreeable solution with the bank (whom you should contact about this!), they will eventually sue you (and the fees and interest will multiple your debt). You will not be able to return to Singapore (even in transit) if this happens, unless you cooperate and fulfil their demands.
I do not know how the international judicial system works and whether such an issue would be pursued in India. You could ask this on the India forum.
There are probably better chances of pursuing it in a developed place like USA, so moving there hoping to escape justice won't work. I also doubt that you can get a USA visa if they know about this issue.

I am sorry for that, I am new to this forum and don't have any idea about it.

Thank you for your reply and as you said, I will pay the debt once I get the job before that, it is difficult for me to do so. The US doesn't have any issue with this since I paid properly so far but in the coming month, I have a problem in paying the sum. That's why I asking you guys.

Thank you again for your time.

Take a loan to pay off the credit card sum in monthly installments. it would at least clear your name from a foreign land. Once you get the job pay the loan parallelly.

Don't spend more than you can afford. Savings are important buddy.
Be Safe, this time will also pass.

@beppi unsecured debt in Singapore cannot be chased in another country.  ICA won't be informed and it's not a criminal act so he won't be stopped entering Singapore or even getting another EP.  The USA will never find out he's missed a repayment to a financial institution in Asia, how would they even know? and they wouldn't care.  If you don't know what you are talking about it's better to say nothing at all.

@Octopus2000 Sorry to say, but you are wrong!

Depending on the amount owed, the bank can (and will) go to court and an arrest warrant can be issued for not appearing to the court hearings - which of course will be known to ICA. Pursueing the debt abroad is possible in some countries, but it is costly and the risk of failure high. So they won't do it for just a few thousand dollars debt.

@Octopus2000

Boils down to the amount one owes to a bank really. Legal fees are not cheap plus banks have reinsurance to cover lending.

To add to Beppi's point above, yes ICA will be informed, the defaulter will be blacklisted and in almost all cases prohibited to gain employment in SG or even enter as a tourist (provided bank notified law enforcement).

@beppi unsecured debt in Singapore cannot be chased in another country. ICA won't be informed and it's not a criminal act so he won't be stopped entering Singapore or even getting another EP. The USA will never find out he's missed a repayment to a financial institution in Asia, how would they even know? and they wouldn't care. If you don't know what you are talking about it's better to say nothing at all.
-@Octopus2000

Corect

@beppi unsecured debt in Singapore cannot be chased in another country. ICA won't be informed and it's not a criminal act so he won't be stopped entering Singapore or even getting another EP. The USA will never find out he's missed a repayment to a financial institution in Asia, how would they even know? and they wouldn't care. If you don't know what you are talking about it's better to say nothing at all.
-@Octopus2000
Corect
-@pareiss2010

Hello pareiss2010,

Anything you would like to add? 1f914.svg

Hello guys. I'm planning to return in Singapore soon. And I had a $500 credit card unpaid there. But it was 10 yrs ago. I wasn't able to pay before because I was bankrupt and forgot to pay as the years go by. Can I still re-enter Singapore? And I will work there with the same boss. And of course, I'm planning to pay as soon as I get there. Am I get arrested? Please help. Thank you

@Joe1113 Please do not post the same message several times - I had to delete your other ones.

This topic has been discussed before, e.g. just a few days ago. Please read (and follow) advice given in these other threads. If something is still unclear, please feel free to come back and post it here!

@Octopus2000 how sure are you that the immigration will not hold you for the unpaid CC debts years ago? Do you know anyone who managed to enter SG again without a problem? Thanks

@pareiss2010 do you know the law that it is not a criminal act not to pay your CC? So there is a possiblity to enter again? Thank you!

Banks will not inform ICA if incase they wont approach legal courts and there is a arrest warrent is issued

[Inappropriate content removed - please read the forum rules! - Moderator]

Few things go wrong in life not everything and everytime goes as per plans thats the reason its call LIFE not a planning board.

When it comes to entering singapore YES if there is no arrest warrent you can enter and transit

One of my neighbour had moved to USA skipping payments after 5 years he came back , he requested banks for DEBT consolidation as the about is very HIGH  they agreed and now he is living in singapore with a jobs

[Inappropriate content removed - please read the forum rules! - Moderator]