NEW MOVE, NEW LIFE

Dear All expats in France,

I am Berit from Vietnam. I have just arrived here in Figeac, France for 2 weeks to live with my French husband and son. Family (my parents in law) and people here are super friendly and helpful but I have a big gap of language barrier so I really feel uncomfortable in talks because most of people speak French while I do not.
Well, life in Figeac is quite cool for people who are tired of big cities, who love the historic works, who really want a peaceful to spend their retirement. I do love to live here, things are perfectly going by.
I am trying to get some French courses as well just to help out myself in dealing with daily conversations. But I would love to make friends who speak English just to share some coffee or chitchat with.

Stay safe, healthy and successful and let's be friends,

Hi Berit,

I wish I lived closer to you. I have just moved to France, well last year actually. I am learning to speak French but I think it will take me a couple of years before I can fully participate in conversations.
I live in La Rochelle and I am finding it difficult to make friends. I think I am going to start a meetup group for my area. Maybe you could try the same?

If you want someone to chat with on line.
By the way I travelled to Vietnam when your country first opened to tourism in the early 80's. What a beautiful country it was. Also your food is some of the best I have ever eaten.

X

Hello, Berit and Maydaisy,

I'm an American expat who moved from Berkeley, California to Strasbourg two and a half years ago. To supercharge your language learning experience, I highly suggest you learn French songs! Whatever you really like, whether it's Piaf, Aznevour or, in my case, Brassens. If you choose songs that turn you on, you'll listen to them over and over and you'll start singing them to yourself. What will happen is that your vocabulary, pronunciation and comprehension will improve rapidly. But you'll need good English translations to make this work. I translated Brassens' songs into English, if his work interests you.

Hi Robert,

Thank you. I am doing quite well with my French learning although have a long way to go. I am aiming to be fluent in French or at least competent within 2 years max.
Strasbourg is a beautiful place. Visited it a few years ago. I actually want to visit the Alsace wine region one day.

Hello all of you ;

I still living in my contry Iwish to leave there queqly realy i WANT TO get working there but Ineed some help if you can ..Iam algerienne by the way.

Great idea Robert about the songs! Thank you!

Hello Robert,

Thank you so much forthe suggestion. I will start basically an online French course shortly and hope I can be smooth in French conversations couple months later.

Cheers,
Berit

Hi Maydaisy,
My family and I just moved to La Rochelle from St. Augustine, Florida. My husband is French but I barely know the language. My high school son speaks French but not fluently.
If you create a Meetup group, PLEASE let me know as I don't know anyone here and would love to get to know both French and English speakers.
Thanks so much!
Holly

Holly, I live in Mazeray(an hour away in Charente-Maritime), and am looking to move closer to the coast.  I would enjoy chatting with you.  I moved to France from the US March of 2020.    La Rochelle is beautiful!
Warm regards,
Stacy

Hi Stacy,
I would love to meet you! From where did you move? Yes, I love the coast (we lived on the beach in St. Augustine) so I know how you feel.
Looking forward to meeting you!
Holly

Holly,
I'm originally from Maryland.  I moved to Montana where I practiced las.  Retired early and started house sitting, fell in love with France.  I then moved to Nevada for tax purposes and moved to France!  I've spent a lot of time in Florida( manatees, concerts, beach).  I looked at property but never found what I wanted.  I just got back from a few days in LA Rochelle yesterday!  The next week will be crazy with the last week of August holiday, but after, it would be marvellous to get together for lunch(, I rarely miss an opportunity to go to la Rochelle or Fouras.  I hope to hear from you soon.  Have a wonderful weekend.
Stacy

Hi Holly,

Yes, I will get around to starting the meetup group. I need to discover La Rochelle more to be able to organise places to meet and things to do.
I have just finished having a months worth of visitors to our home, so having a well earned rest!
My husband is also French but speaks English fluently. I am trying to study French every day and I am improving but it is a long haul 😊
If you want to meet up let me know.

Hi, Holly, and bienvenue en France! I had already posted my suggestion on a shortcut to improving your fluency, but here it is again:

"I'm an American expat who moved from Berkeley, California to Strasbourg two and a half years ago. To supercharge your language learning experience, I highly suggest you learn French songs! Whatever you really like, whether it's Piaf, Aznevour or, in my case, Brassens. If you choose songs that turn you on, you'll listen to them over and over and you'll start singing them to yourself. What will happen is that your vocabulary, pronunciation and comprehension will improve rapidly. But you'll need good English translations to make this work. I translated Brassens' songs into English, if his work interests you."

Bob

Hi Stacy,
Thanks for your message! What an interesting life you've led. I tried to google Lit, but am still not sure what that is. Perhaps you can enlighten me upon our meeting or in your reply?
Would love to meet somewhere after I get my son settled in school. I am not incredibly comfortable driving yet, but am practicing as much as I can. The roads are narrow and the rules are very different. Now I have a very uninformed question - - are these messages between just you and me or are they public on the forum? I'm very new to using this platform.
Have a great Sunday,
Holly

Hi Bob,
Thanks so much for reaching out with your suggestion! Nine years ago I lived in Marseille for about 3 years and was in French school. But when we moved to the States, I stopped speaking French entirely (bad mistake!) and now I've forgotten everything.  I used to love to listen to Zaz, and it seemed to help, so I'll give that a try again. I appreciate the suggestion and encouragement! I love your home town of Berkeley - what a fun, progressive and lively place.
Thanks again,
Holly

Thanks for your reply! It sounds like you are in need of a long rest. Having guests is fun, but can be exhausting as well. After our taxing move, I too, am taking lots of time to rest for the first time in months. Would love to meet you for a coffee or something. I will live in Puilboreau beginning September 1 in a long-term rental. (We are in a short-term AirB&B until the long rental becomes available). So after that, and unpacking after a month of living out of suitcases, I'll be good to go.
Hope your French is coming along. It's a tough language.
Holly

They're public, Holly.

Thanks for your prompt reply, Bob. Just wondering how people actually get in touch via phone or email to schedule a meeting. I'm not sure I would be comfortable putting my contact information out to the public... Any suggestions?

Just add Stacy (or whoever) to your contacts. If she accepts the contact request, then I believe you'll be able to exchange messages privately.