To U.S.A. expats.. choosing a state of residency

Hello all!

First I'd like to thank the members of this forum.  I've been reading posts and learning a lot from everyone for several years now.   Having visited the Philippines (Cebu/Palawan, pre-pandemic), I am now moving forward with my plan to move there as an expat.  I've been working for years to get my financial ducks in a row, and am now starting to sort out the logistics prior to my move (at least a year out for my final escape).

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions between now and then, but my current question regards choosing a state of residency.  Like most, I've narrowed down choices to those most tax friendly of states.  I currently reside in Arizona, so establishing residency in Nevada wouldn't be much of a stretch.  However I have friends/family in Tenessee and could establish a tax-friendly residency there, with the added bonus of not needing to use a mail forwarding service. 

Flying to and from the TN address would be a bit more complicated from the Philippines.  My question is to those who have established residency here in the U.S. , how much did you take ease of access into conisderation?   I can't imagine I will be making this trip more than once per year if that but I am interested in any words of wisdom you have to offer on this subject.  I'm sure there has to be more to consider than just taxes etc. 

Thanks again for all the great information to this point, and any help you can provide in the future!

Incidentally, I hope to visit again as soon as travel opens up.  I'm looking at Cebu, Bohol and Negros as initial spots to live.  Feedback on any good places on those islands are welcome and appreciated.

Regards,

Mitch

I've lived in both and Arizona is by far the best choice

meeyatch69 wrote:

Hello all!

First I'd like to thank the members of this forum.  I've been reading posts and learning a lot from everyone for several years now.   Having visited the Philippines (Cebu/Palawan, pre-pandemic), I am now moving forward with my plan to move there as an expat.  I've been working for years to get my financial ducks in a row, and am now starting to sort out the logistics prior to my move (at least a year out for my final escape).

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions between now and then, but my current question regards choosing a state of residency.  Like most, I've narrowed down choices to those most tax friendly of states.  I currently reside in Arizona, so establishing residency in Nevada wouldn't be much of a stretch.  However I have friends/family in Tenessee and could establish a tax-friendly residency there, with the added bonus of not needing to use a mail forwarding service. 

Flying to and from the TN address would be a bit more complicated from the Philippines.  My question is to those who have established residency here in the U.S. , how much did you take ease of access into conisderation?   I can't imagine I will be making this trip more than once per year if that but I am interested in any words of wisdom you have to offer on this subject.  I'm sure there has to be more to consider than just taxes etc. 

Thanks again for all the great information to this point, and any help you can provide in the future!

Incidentally, I hope to visit again as soon as travel opens up.  I'm looking at Cebu, Bohol and Negros as initial spots to live.  Feedback on any good places on those islands are welcome and appreciated.

Regards,

Mitch

Regarding choosing the state of residency, are you actually plan on living there from time to time?

I came from Nevada, no state income tax and low property tax. If do not plan on living in the states, get a re-mailer (mail forwarding service) and use their address as your US address.

Believe me, you do not want the burden of friends to receive your mail and then having to send it FedEx at $40 or so a pop.

Also traveling back to the states, you could fly PAL nonstop to LAX. Drive a rental car one way
to Vegas. This is quicker by hours and hours including the drive than multiple plane changes. PAL allows you two bags of 50 lbs, a carry on (under the seat) and a laptop. If you have to make plane changes you could get excess baggage charges. (The more changes the better chance of lost baggage or missing things from your baggage.)

Welcome Mitch!

I'm in AZ also - works well for me. Low taxes, low cost lifestyle. Great Mexican food. I generally fly from PHX to HNL, spend a day, then catch the 11am PAL flight from HNL to MNL (5pm arrival) then on to CEB on the hop that leaves at 8pm. SInce PAL is always late (PAL=Plane Always Late) I get into Cebu around 10pm - not too late for my GF to pick me up. I do like PAL, many benefits as Bob mentions. They never even charge me if I bring a bike. Great airline.

One can also certainly fly from LAX to CEB (via HKK or TPE) as Bob suggests, but it is a long-ass 14 hour flight and I go stir crazy on those. And they don't have Prem Economy, makes it even worse. I literally cannot sit for that long, hence my preferred route through Honolulu. But if you can do the long flights you will def get there quicker that way, haha.

Washington state, no income tax; close to PDX so lots of flight options.

Washington has sales tax....ouch!! Oregon has state tax but no sales tax....except for some out of state tourists in some coastal cities! PDX is certainly one of the best flight hubs in the US! Portland is one of the best cities in US! Good schools! Great night life! Many craft beer joints!

Sekmet-Here in Philippines taxes all combined(a whopping 12% approx) and what you see as the price when you buy it is the price you pay. Broken down on the receipt Its called VAT tax ....Baguio Jimmy(They pretty much charge for everything to make up for their poor economy.) On the tourist visa I had for the 1st 3 years 2012-2015 the charges were doubled on the bill just worded differently.If you ask them about it they just smile and give you some kind of a lame answer. Life goes on!JIMMY

capricornrising wrote:

Sekmet-Here in Philippines taxes all combined(a whopping 12% approx) and what you see as the price when you buy it is the price you pay. Broken down on the receipt Its called VAT tax ....Baguio Jimmy(They pretty much charge for everything to make up for their poor economy.) On the tourist visa I had for the 1st 3 years 2012-2015 the charges were doubled on the bill just worded differently.If you ask them about it they just smile and give you some kind of a lame answer. Life goes on!JIMMY

The big problem with VAT tax the poor, middle & rich buys food and some of the same stuff, while VAT Tax hits the poor and middle class a much bigger percentage of their income.

You forgot to mention the anarchist looting and committing arson almost nightly. No thanks. I'm from Washington and I avoid Portland like the plague.

Carl

meeyatch69 wrote:

Hello all!

I'm sure I'll have tons of questions between now and then, but my current question regards choosing a state of residency. 

Regards,

Mitch

Mitch I asked this question before: Are you planning to come back to the states as a visitor or maintain an actual residence of your own?

Or are you planning on moving to the Philippines permanently? The answer to that question will get you the correct answer.

Thanks for the quick reply!  My plan is to live in the Philippines and return to the USA at most once per year (preferably less frequently.)

Thanks again for the info!

Mitch

I really appreciate the info!

Thanks!

Mitch