Censorship

I refer to the post by Jonesy1953 at 4.35 on the 5 April 2021 which was truncated by Dishka who I see has been a 'moderator' on this excellent expat discussion forum since 2018. The title of my post I hope gives a clue as to the subject of this entry.
I have been a member for several years now but have been reluctant to contribute to the discussions if only due to the fact that I do not reside in the Philippines. Alas I am a frequent business visitor to Asia and discovered the Philippine islands vicariously through my neighbour here in Bath UK who is married to a delightful Filipina.
It is to put it lightly unfortunate that the above post has been terminated through no shortcomings of the OP. His opinion was a genuine criticism of the downsides of a country that he has lived in since 2012. The 'shortcomings' are relevant, accurate and pertinent to any potential expat looking to relocate to the Philippines and therefore open to discussion. I say this having visited the country on countless occasions for business and pleasure since 2001 when the 'film star' President Estrada was kicked out of office.  The OP's views in my opinion (no pun intended) are articulate and from extensive experience of living in this archipelago: a democratic archipelago that allows free comment and discussion - something that this forum disallowed. One contributor (he knows who he is) became abusive and offensive towards the OP. The OP to his credit did not take the bait which riled the guy to become even more abusive. The moderator should have removed this post but for reasons best known to her chose not to. As a result a potentially and damning relevant discussion topic for future residees to this country has been curtailed - Xi Jinping could not have done a better job..

Agreed, no reason to remove the original post. As someone looking to potentially move to the Philippines I found the information helpful in clarifying some things I was already thinking about

Only an opinion but I find it strange that the OP of the locked post has managed to live here for 9 years, joins this expat site (perhaps a pseudonym) and lets out all the built up frustrations out in full detail and the five part harmony, surely there is good here to stay for those 9 years? I know I have a whinge now and again but a little here and a little there generally falls under the radar and not only the censorship of the moderators but the scrutiny of big brother looking for candidates to deport.

I look at the good which for me far outweighs the frustrations here. At the same time if my better half, while we lived back in Australia for 5 years complained about things there I would defend my country, his only gripe while living there was how expensive it was and was correct.

BTW free speech in any democratic country in my opinion is for that countries nationals and not guests.

If I slagged off Australia as a taxpayer and voter I have that right, here as a visitor in the Philippines?

Cheers, Steve.

Good points!

I came on late and flagged the one post by someone else which contained a personal attack and foul language as it was a violation of forum rules. By the time I read to the bottom of the thread it had already been locked by the mods.  I actually do not blame that individual for getting upset at the tone and breadth of the original post, however.  It was extremely demeaning to the Filipino people and contained many generalizations that cannot necessarily be extrapolated to the country as a whole.  I am glad it was closed as it was not balanced or constructive and lacked any sort of empathy for the Filipino people.

That said there certainly are plenty of problems and inconveniences to be found in any developing country and the Philippines certainly has it's share. All of us here have undoubtedly had bad experiences and have griped about them as Steve mentioned, but most of us also have enough respect for the people and love for their country to try to do so in a constructive way. If it's nor for you, why not just thank the people for your experience and leave?  Why store up that amount of grievance from NINE  years of perceived problems, join a forum that you have not made one prior contribution to, and publicly vent like that? 

I have to wonder, did the OP not visit beautiful islands? See a gorgeous sunset? Swim in the clear ocean water and see the coral reefs? Share a meal with a Filipino family and see the happy kids running around? If not, then he didn't get out. Personally I am filled with gratitude when I experience those things.

The OP also made several generalizations which reflect his personal experience but which may not be the experience of someone else, somewhere else, and which could be read by someone interested in the Philippines as the case all over. For example I have no problems finding high quality meats and sausages anywhere on the island of Cebu. There are many stores in Cebu City and individuals in the province, like a few Germans I know, that produce very high quality bread and sausages in very clean conditions.

Lastly, I didn't read one sentence on what he tried to do to make it a better place, solve a problem, or help anyone out. It was all about him and how he suffered, and I wonder how many Filipinos helped him in some way over those years that he forgot about. Wonder what they would think if they read his post.

Lotus Eater wrote:

I refer to the post by Jonesy1953 at 4.35 on the 5 April 2021 which was truncated by Dishka who I see has been a 'moderator' on this excellent expat discussion forum since 2018. The title of my post I hope gives a clue as to the subject of this entry.
I have been a member for several years now but have been reluctant to contribute to the discussions if only due to the fact that I do not reside in the Philippines. Alas I am a frequent business visitor to Asia and discovered the Philippine islands vicariously through my neighbour here in Bath UK who is married to a delightful Filipina.
It is to put it lightly unfortunate that the above post has been terminated through no shortcomings of the OP. His opinion was a genuine criticism of the downsides of a country that he has lived in since 2012. The 'shortcomings' are relevant, accurate and pertinent to any potential expat looking to relocate to the Philippines and therefore open to discussion. I say this having visited the country on countless occasions for business and pleasure since 2001 when the 'film star' President Estrada was kicked out of office.  The OP's views in my opinion (no pun intended) are articulate and from extensive experience of living in this archipelago: a democratic archipelago that allows free comment and discussion - something that this forum disallowed. One contributor (he knows who he is) became abusive and offensive towards the OP. The OP to his credit did not take the bait which riled the guy to become even more abusive..

Funny how you defend one guy's ignorance and disrepect and called it genuine criticism. Come on now. Abusive? Im trying to help the guy out of his misery. Be that as it may, I apologized already, but just can't stand back if i see people being rude disrespectful to others.

Parvaze wrote:

Agreed, no reason to remove the original post. As someone looking to potentially move to the Philippines I found the information helpful in clarifying some things I was already thinking about

Im sorry for you then. If your thoughts and opinions are on the same boat as of that guy, then this country is better off. Every country in the world don't need foreigners, that instead of being grateful and respectful, degrade and insults it.

bigpearl wrote:

BTW free speech in any democratic country in my opinion is for that countries nationals and not guests.

If I slagged off Australia as a taxpayer and voter I have that right, here as a visitor in the Philippines?

Cheers, Steve.

Very well said.

The OP I believe is the same person that has blogged about his views with very similar opinions into which there seemed to be an underlying message, in this other blog, that he got into legal troubles of an unsavory kind, which warped his views in a negative fashion. I can understand this fear of being a foreigner without the same rights as a citizen. One has to integrate into the Filipino society as much as one can, to appear not as the outsider. And spread the wealth a little. Dont begrudge an extra $20! You cant live as a foreign pauper in the Philippines, but you can live well with your foreign moneys, if you integrate. Act how you would want a foreigner to act in your home country