Sending money FROM Vietnam to the UK.

Can anyone please help with this? My son is a new teacher in Vietnam. His wages are paid into a Vietnamese bank which provides him with no banking facilities beyond an ATM card.

He needs to send money to his bank account in the UK.

Western Union say they can't do it. Via Vietnamese contacts he has been offered an 'informal private route' at a cost of 16%! Ludicrous.

Does anyone know the cheapest method for sending money from Ho Chi Min City to a UK bank?

Thanks for any help with this.

If he work here and have work permit he shoild go to Timo, open account with debit card same day

No work permit, no sending money out unless you use a black market system.

I have to ask why your son is not asking these questions?

If he work here and have work permit he shoild go to Timo, open account with debit card same day

Thanks, I'll let him know to investigate. He has a work permit and a full work contract. However, his Vietnamese bank has not issued him with a debit card,

FinlayFinlayson wrote:

Thanks, I'll let him know to investigate. He has a work permit and a full work contract. However, his Vietnamese bank has not issued him with a debit card,

Timo specialize in this for foreigner.. permit of working visa will be enough, same day appointment and account opening and atm card... just anout an hour in total.

I cannot remember which bank they are now affiliated weith, i thijnk its Vietinank

I had a similat response..sure have account but no atm card - pointless.

Step 1 open Citibank account in Vietnam
Step 2 open citibank account in UK
Step 3 Link accounts
Step 4 transfer money at will
There may be other international banks that do this as well but I have used citibank in 5 countries now that I lived in and its been the easiest

Does he not have a work permit? Assuming he does if hes a teacher. message me if he needs more help im in HCMC.

as i understand it from many previous posts, if your son has a job as teacher - and we are assuming - he therefore has work permit from school, he just takes that to bank and he can transfer money out.

otherwise the Citibank or Timo option

and i have ask - why is your son not asking himself? espec has he would have all relevant info firsthand.

myvietnam wrote:

as i understand it from many previous posts, if your son has a job as teacher - and we are assuming - he therefore has work permit from school, he just takes that to bank and he can transfer money out.

otherwise the Citibank or Timo option

and i have ask - why is your son not asking himself? espec has he would have all relevant info firsthand.

Be prepared to receive a private message from the OP explaining why the son cant do it himself. I also asked the same question and received a PM.

ckitano wrote:

Step 1 open Citibank account in Vietnam
Step 2 open citibank account in UK
Step 3 Link accounts
Step 4 transfer money at will
There may be other international banks that do this as well but I have used citibank in 5 countries now that I lived in and its been the easiest

It sounds like you are describing what they call Citibank Global Transfer (CGT).  Have you accomplished #4 from inside Vietnam or only in the other 5 countries?  My experiences with Citibank have been positive too, and  sending money in was generally easy (although the service into Vietnam did get shut down for a few months a few years back.)  However, once when I asked, I was told that there was a lot of documentation needed to send money out.  Generally these were the often mentioned ones, such as a work permit and receipts to show that income taxes were paid.

Hi all. Much obliged for all the helpful posts above. I've passed on all the information.

Kind regards

Finlay