Financial requirements

We intend moving out to Spain to live in April next year 2022, we are from the UK
What is the actual legal financial requirements needed to apply for visa

Have I missed something?
I thought December 31st 2020 was the deadline for completing any permanent move if you're from the UK.
I live in Spain and I have friends from the UK who've owned a property here for thirty years and, prior to the end of last year, could come and go as they pleased.
However, they chose not to become Spanish residents before December 2020 so from now on, can only stay here for three months at a time.
And two of our neighbours (also from the UK) have children they were hoping would be able to come to Spain to live with them but they couldn't get over here to sort out the paperwork because of Covid, so they missed their chance.
Now they can only visit for three months at a time.
If you're planning on moving here from the UK in 2022 to live permanently, I'd love to know (genuinely) how that's possible.

Hattie2,
I'll let you know next week after speaking to my Spanish lawyers..

Hattie2 wrote:

Have I missed something?
I thought December 31st 2020 was the deadline for completing any permanent move if you're from the UK.
I live in Spain and I have friends from the UK who've owned a property here for thirty years and, prior to the end of last year, could come and go as they pleased.
However, they chose not to become Spanish residents before December 2020 so from now on, can only stay here for three months at a time.
And two of our neighbours (also from the UK) have children they were hoping would be able to come to Spain to live with them but they couldn't get over here to sort out the paperwork because of Covid, so they missed their chance.
If you're planning on moving here from the UK in 2022 to live permanently, I'd love to know (genuinely) how that's possible.

The same as any other 3rd nation national, apply for one of the available visas.  Brexit does not mean that people with a UK passport can never work/live in Spain ever again, just they no longer enjoy the same rights as other EU citizens.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Cynic wrote:
Hattie2 wrote:

Have I missed something?

The same as any other 3rd nation national, apply for one of the available visas.  Brexit does not mean that people with a UK passport can never work/live in Spain ever again, just they no longer enjoy the same rights as other EU citizens.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks, Cynic,
Well, I'm really confused now!
It doesn't matter to me, because it doesn't apply (we've been residents here for twenty years), but if what you say is the case, I don't understand why my neighbours' children, and the friends who've lived here for thirty years, were told by the Spanish authorities that they couldn't become permanent residents after the end of 2020.
But if they can, I'll pass the message on!
Thanks for the info.

barriestewart63 wrote:

Hattie2,
I'll let you know next week after speaking to my Spanish lawyers..

Thanks, barriestewart63,
Cynic's reply has clarified the situation a little, but I'm still a little confused!
No matter, good luck with your move, if you get it all sorted. :-)

Hattie2 wrote:
Cynic wrote:
Hattie2 wrote:

Have I missed something?

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks, Cynic,
It doesn't matter to me, because it doesn't apply (we've been residents here for twenty years), but if what you say is the case, I don't understand why my neighbours' children, and the friends who've lived here for thirty years, were told by the Spanish authorities that they couldn't become permanent residents after the end of 2020.
Thanks for the info.

Perhaps they don't meet all of the requirements to qualify for permanent residence under the Brexit process, but there are thousands of other nationals living quite happily in Spain without an EU nation passport.

Thanks cynic,
That is why I'm using a lawyer, it's still very do able, but a little more complex,

Cynic wrote:
Hattie2 wrote:
Cynic wrote:

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Thanks, Cynic,
Thanks for the info.

Perhaps they don't meet all of the requirements to qualify for permanent residence under the Brexit process, but there are thousands of other nationals living quite happily in Spain without an EU nation passport.

Yes, I understand that--we have neighbours from outside the EU, it's just this particular situation that has surprised me.
Honestly, I didn't look into it personally because it didn't apply to us, so I'm only going by what I was told, but I know the plan was for our neighbours' children to move here as their dependents--our neighbours are financially secure, and have the funds to support them all.
The only thing that stopped the process was that the kids weren't able to travel here because of UK lockdowns and travel restrictions, and were told by our neighbours' solicitor that they had to be here in person. They couldn't get here in time, so were told it was too late and they'd missed the deadline. There was nothing else stopping them.
I've just called my neighbour to tell her and she's going to call her solicitor tomorrow for advice.
Very strange.
Thanks again.

Physical residence is normally a requirement to be granted a residence permit anywhere; it could also be if the kids are over the age of consent and not resident, that they didn't qualify.

Cynic wrote:

Physical residence is normally a requirement to be granted a residence permit anywhere; it could also be if the kids are over the age of consent and not resident, that they didn't qualify.

The kids are 18 - twins - and were planning on working in their parents' business. The thing is, the discussions about them moving here started in 2019--it was always the plan and my neighbours were told it wouldn't be a problem once they'd finished school.
The only reason they were given for the request being denied was that they couldn't physically be here to complete/obtain the necessary documentation.
As I said, it all seems very odd in light of what you've said, Cynic, but maybe there's more to it that I don't know.

The reason given pretty much reflects what I said, i.e. that "Physical residence is normally a requirement to be granted a residence permit anywhere".  Being over 18, they no longer qualify as dependents, so would have to qualify in their own right.