How do legally work as a freelancer consultant for a foreign company?

Dear forum,
in the next 6-7 months I am going to follow my wife (a Ugandan girl) in Uganda.

My current working place in Itlay is offering me the opportunity to keep working for them as a freelance consultant from home in Uganda (i do software and data analysis things so I just need a computer)

Which kind of work permit do I need to do it? What about a marriage permit?

Thank you a lot for your help,
Emanuele Martini

If you are to work here in Uganda u need to have a work permit and that's class of professional that cost $800 payable at the bank but all the process may end up costing  approximate $1200
For more inquiries please feel free to let me know and I can be of service were I can.
Abraham

but even if I don't need an office in Uganda and the company that will hire is not registered in Uganda?

Hello, as a lawyer who has dealt with this before i would say, it entirely depends on the duration you are spending here.

dear doreen,
thanks for your reply.
I honestly dont know for how long I will stay there... but it could even be an entire life or just one or few years.

I am really moving with my family so I dont know... but I really think at least some years

Okay so it looks like you are thinking long term, that would require a work permit, for freelancers working short term (3-5months) they process a “permit” known as a Special Pass. Definitely these two have different tax treatments which is a whole other discussion.

I think that I need it for some years (I am 1 year married, so I think after a while I could ask for a marriage permit) and I don't know if it makes sense to start with a special pass 3-5 months and then move to the working permit.
Or maybe it's just better to start directly with a working permit.

but it will work like being a self-employed consultant (so in someway I will have to register a Ugandan consultancy firm with only me?) and get a job from an Italian company not registered in  Uganda?

thanks a lot for your patience and advice and time,
emanuele

If you plan on working here for a much longer or indefinite amount of time, I would suggest you obtain a work permit which however shall necessitate the company your working for to first get registered as a foreign company in Uganda in order to obtain a work permit for its consultant.

It's a bit technical and demanding for one to execute alone but there are legal avenues that can help smoothen everything for you. Let me know if you need any further advise on this.

You're welcome.
Doreen.

With regard to what you said about being married, I went to immigration to see about getting a spousal visa after I and my wife got married and was informed that I couldn't apply for a spousal visa until we had been legally married (and you need to show documentation) for at least 3 years.  So, right now I am in Uganda on a special pass while my NGO is filing paperwork so that I can apply for a work permit.

Hey,guess if your wife is Ugandan and you are married by law you can work in Uganda because she is ugandan.

When you reach in Uganda, just keep on working on your computer at home you don't need a permit. Hen you get married then and you also start a company or work in a Ugandan based company. Then you will need a work permit.
Thanks

@emartini

1. You don't need a work permit for as long as you're not employed in Uganda
  2. You need a "Dependent Pass-Dependent on Ugandan-Spouse" category not a special pass
  3. For your work in Italy, you will be taxed as one who is exporting a service ( For VAT purposes, the service is zero rated  under Third schedule, VAT Act)
  4. Since you're staying for long, you will be taxed as a resident under Section 9, Income Tax Act
  5. ***

Moderated by Bhavna 4 days ago
Reason : Posting contact details on the forum is not allowed. Please use the private messaging option.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct