Covid19 PCR tests in São Paulo?

Hi everyone,

has anyone get tested in São Paulo? If so, can you share your experience? I wonder if getting tested at a public hospital (I have SUS document), they will give me some kind of document in English in order to travel back home? Or are there any inexpensive private clinics? I heard that at Guarulhos they charge about 390 Reais nowadays, which went up from 290 Reais in December. A robbery.

SD has just traveled. Terminal 3 has a test site. $R390 4HR turn around and is in Portuguese and English. Open 24/7

If you've got time to spare, lots of Drogasil locations are offering a pcr exame for R$139,90

In preparation for my upcoming trip to Porto Alegre, I wondered about Covid testing down there and received some answers from the consulate, as well as friends living there.  The consulate said that one local lab was testing for R$350, with results in 3 to 4 days!  My friends said that a local farmacia (Sao Jorge) does the same test for around R$100, and has results in 5 to 30 minutes! 

That being said, I cannot help to think that there MUST be farmacias in Sao Paulo doing the same thing!  I suggest that you search for a large chain there on the net, and give them a call!  Boa sorte!

Thanks, I will Check Drogasil or São Paulo drogaria. Not sure if they print the result in English as well.

Everything has gotten so complicated

Were you able to sort this and how?

Its done in 20 minutes!  But beware the certificate is only in Portuguese and that might be a problem

Thanks paul.

Since my flight is latam. I found out there is a discount when u get tested at albert Einstein.

So the funny thing is that the unit at Guarulhos airport doesn't belong to that agreement.

I have my test today at Albert Einstein Perdizes for 290 reais instead of 350.

Results within 48 hours. So that shouldn't be a problem and I'll still be within the 72 hour time frame.

Hi Mitchel
Thats worth knowing but the GRU airport  test result  is known in 4 hours   . . .  which make things more compact for the flight.
Besides for me  waiting 48 hours to know the result is extremely stressful!
It surprising that a place the size of Sao Paulo has so few options
thanks

mitchel85 wrote:

Thanks, I will Check Drogasil or São Paulo drogaria. Not sure if they print the result in English as well.

Everything has gotten so complicated

Drogasil does not print the results in English. My family and I had our tests done in GRU, Better safe than sorry.

Guys
Several days have passed, but this may still be helpful:

There are 2 types of tests.
PCR detects the virus. Costs around R$250-400 and results take 1 to 4 days. Some countries require this test before you fly. This test is done in GRU airport in São Paulo and some other places. The clinic that performs the test gives you a bilingual results form.

The other test, I forgot the name. This other test only detects the antigen. This test costs around R$100-150 and takes up to 4 hours for results to come by. Several drugstores offer this test.

If a country requires the PCR test they will not accept the other one. Also be aware that drugstore tests by around R$ 100 with results in 4 hours or less are NOT the PCR test, are the other one.

Thanks. This is IMPORTANT   information.

I think Canada  requires the PCR test. Some Canadians have tried to return to Canada with the other test and were fined !

Do not know the cost
Einstein GRU
About the Unit
To offer more convenience to all passengers at São Paulo International Airport in Guarulhos, the Einstein GRU Airport Unit offers the collection and analysis of RT-PCR tests with emission of results within 4 hours, which can be removed personally or verified in the My Einstein application.

Convenience: With the My Einstein app you schedule and view your exam from anywhere, anytime. Download the app and see the available times.

With seven exclusive cabins for testing and service in Portuguese, English and Spanish, the unit also has a telemedicine service room, which can be used by all who have the positive diagnosis for Covid-19. If you prefer, the service for positive cases can also be performed remotely, from wherever you are, within 48h, by the Einstein Conecta application. Through this care, professionals from the Einstein care team will evaluate the patient's health status and pass all necessary guidance.

This is a great thread. Has anybody taken the Einstein GRU test yet?

Did you have to turn up at the airport 4 hours earlier than usual? What did they do to you exactly? Were there any problems or anything else that travelers should watch out for?

@paulthepom Sorry I didn't respond earlier.

I thought so too. I don't want to be stressed for 48 hours. But actually I did the test in the Einstein unit at 18.00 and I had the results the next day at 13.00 published online in Spanish português and English.

For 290 reais it's a real bargain

So I'm positively surprised.

PCR or NAAT?  My understanding is travel requirements from Brazil to the US is a negative antigen test within 72 hours of your flight. (as per CDC guidelines)
"All air passengers coming to the United States, including U.S. citizens and fully vaccinated people, are required to have a negative COVID-19 viral test result no more than 3 days before travel or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 in the past 3 months before they board a flight to the United States.Apr 27, 2021"

My local Drogasil offers tests for approx R$75,00.  The test comes back in @ 3 hours and is in Portuguese. There is no "English" requirement on the US Embassy site.

I will be traveling to Brasil next month and need to know if anyone has presented a PCR test instead of an RT-PCR test for entry.  My understanding is that the RT-PCR was developed as a Rapid Test that is cheaper. It has more false negatives than the PCR test which is the Gold Standard of COVID detection.

I can get the PCR test here in the states for free. RT-PCR tests cost about 130.-140. USD.

Will Brasil allow me to enter with a negative PCR test?  Not that it matters, but I am fully vaccinated with Moderna.

hopin4thbest wrote:

PCR or NAAT?  My understanding is travel requirements from Brazil to the US is a negative antigen test within 72 hours of your flight. (as per CDC guidelines)
"All air passengers coming to the United States, including U.S. citizens and fully vaccinated people, are required to have a negative COVID-19 viral test result no more than 3 days before travel or documentation of recovery from COVID-19 in the past 3 months before they board a flight to the United States.Apr 27, 2021"

My local Drogasil offers tests for approx R$75,00.  The test comes back in @ 3 hours and is in Portuguese. There is no "English" requirement on the US Embassy site.

I will be traveling to Brasil next month and need to know if anyone has presented a PCR test instead of an RT-PCR test for entry.  My understanding is that the RT-PCR was developed as a Rapid Test that is cheaper. It has more false negatives than the PCR test which is the Gold Standard of COVID detection.

I can get the PCR test here in the states for free. RT-PCR tests cost about 130.-140. USD.

Will Brasil allow me to enter with a negative PCR test?  Not that it matters, but I am fully vaccinated with Moderna.

Effective December 17, Brazil extended the restrictions on entry of foreigners by land (unless for transit) and sea, for an indefinite period.
The entry of foreign visitors traveling by air for a short stay of up to 90 days is currently permitted. All travelers to Brazil by air (Brazilians and foreigners) must present the following to the airline before boarding:
1) Traveler's Health Declaration (DSV): filled out (in print or digitally) agreeing to sanitary measures that must be complied with during the traveler's time in Brazil. The form is available here.
2) Negative COVID-19 test:  specifically, a document from a laboratory test (RT-PCR) for screening for infection by SARS-CoV-2, with a negative/non-reactive result, performed within 72 hours prior to the moment of boarding; Please see below further clarifications from the Brazilian government regarding the required COVID-19 test:
The COVID-19 test must be a document from a laboratory test (RT-PCR) for screening for infection by SARS-CoV-2, with a negative/non-reactive result, performed within 72 hours prior to the moment of boarding;
The document must be presented in Portuguese, Spanish or English;
The test must be carried out in a laboratory recognized by the health authority of the country of departure;
Also, check with your airline for its regulations