Deposit before signed lease (housing agent)

Hi everyone!

I will move to Copenhagen together with my partner in April to start a new job as a research assistant. So we have been desperately looking for an apartment for a while now. We found a very nice one through a housing agent (housing company.dk) and we got send the lease as well as the prepayment request. The woman told us that it is the normal procedure of a housing agent to first request the signature of the tenant and the deposit and AFTER receiving the payment, will send back the lease signed by the landlord. Has anyone made experience with this?
Usually, my number 1 rule is that I would never send money without having a signed contract, however the company looks legitimate and we have also seen the apartment (via video call) and double-checked the landlord registered in this address.
Thanks for your help!

Be very careful about giving money before you get your lease. I never heard of this way of doing business. Be aware of so-called landlords in Denmark.

Hi MalinJ

What to say? I don't know because the company seems to be okay, but it is against my nature (and all good advice) to pay in advance for something you haven't even seen?

I didn't know of the House Company before reading about it here. Has the company been recommended to you by your future employer? In that case, it would be a sign of reliability. Can your employer help you in any way regarding the housing market?

If you read the column for owners/landlords you'll find the House Company's description of what they can expect corresponds to your information above.

If the lease is a sublease, the prepaid amounts wanted may be substituted by a bank guarantee if the tenant prefers that solution. If not, you could ask if it is possible to use that solution also in your case.
https://boligraadgiver.dk/hvad-betyder/depositum/https://trm.dk/temaer/private-lejebolig … talt-leje/

/Nellie

I didn't know of the House Company before reading about it here

It's a small company that's been running since 2007. The address is a corner house on a normal street with one of those pole with a circle of ropes clothes line in the garden. It has a wide band TV aerial, an omnidirectional VHF radio anrenna, and a second TV aerial. The middle of the three suggesting they have a decent stereo.
The bushes in the garden are well kept, that suggesting the owner's neatness of personality.
Their satellite dish is an older type and looks like it has a 0.9 LNB, a geriatric as far as SHF electronics go. One wonders if they still use it, or if it's just a remnant of days gone by.
It shows as legitimate at first glance, but I haven't taken it too far.

Thanks for your answers! Very reassuring, since the company looks legitimate but this way of doing business is strange

Hi, I want to rent an apartment and I was told exactly the same thing. Can you please tell me what happened in your situation? Thank you