Looking for help, advice and friends in Accra :)

Hello All :)

I'm Scott. I'm hoping to move to Accra as soon as I can fly from England in early April. I was living in Nairobi for a year before this global situation and come back home to see my parents. I am not going back to Nairobi now I want to come to Accra. I have been told it's a vibrant city from a few friends I met in Nairobi. I'd greatly appreciate some help if you could and it would be really nice to make some new friends as I am coming alone.

What is the visa protocol?
What injections do I need to get in the country?
What are the best reliable sources to find a room or an apartment to rent?
(It would be nice to rent a room first to get to know my way around and make some friends, then I'd want my own place as soon as possible so I wouldn't stay long. Maybe a month to find a place)

What I want from my location is to be close to a decent gym and also be close to some nightlife so I can get out and listen to live music and meet new friends. I don't want to be anywhere noisy, I love going out but a home is a sanctuary for peace and quiet for me. I am a highly energetic person when I want to be but also incredibly peaceful and very chilled out as well at home. I'm into allsorts of things and I'm always up for fun activites, sports, nature, music, eating, comedy, fitness, yoga, retreats/spas...all the stuff that makes you feel good haha :)

Thank you for reading this far. Any help, guidelines or advice would be amazing.

Best wishes

Scott

Visas:

https://www.kenyahighcom.org.uk/news/im … nce-systemhttps://www.kenyahighcom.org.uk/news/im … nce-system

Entry requirements:

https://www.kenyanevisa.com/entry-restrictions/https://ears.health.go.ke/airline_registration/https://travelbans.org/africa/kenya/

A little reading to get you started.  Check with the UK and Kenyan embassy sites for updates and be prepared.

For accommodation you don't mention budget but there are serviced apartments available. I suggest you Google serviced apartments in Accra. Airbnb is another option.
Good luck with your search

Hello Scott,

I work in real estate so I'll answer your questions on housing.
First of all, I would advise you book a serviced apartment or hotel for maybe a month. This should allow you some time to familiarize yourself with the city before making any firm decision on where you want to live during your time here.

With regards to location, you might want to look at areas like Osu, Cantonments, Labone, East Legon, Airport and Dzorwulu. They are the most bustling parts of the city with lots of business and recreational activities.
Most residential developments (apartments and townhouses) within these areas come with swimming pools and gyms for residents so you have nothing to worry about.

You can reach out to me if you need more information on further assistance in these areas.
Thank you.

Thank you very much. Great help :)

I think with your expectations renting a house at East legon or Airport residential area will be cool for you. Or better still spintex road, in these areas, you are likely to meet someone from where you're coming from, you can as well decide to rent at Adenta, oyarifa or aburi, so that you can enjoy the weather over there since it's a bit different from Accra. You don't have to stay in a hotel for a month it's useless.

All you need is let say 3days or a 1week stay in a hotel, or a guest house, so you can check out on the houses of your choice .
You know that  the cost of stay in a hotel is expensive, unless you tell me you are supper rich or loaded.

Now with covid19 protocol, you will have to adhere to it especially at our airports, they will only check your temperature and I think you will have to come along with a proof that you have been tested and you don't have the virus. ***

Moderated by Priscilla 3 years ago
Reason : no free advertising please

Hi Scott,
What's your purpose here in Ghana, do you have any business to do here or you just want to have fun in Ghana.

Hi everyone,

Kindly note that a few posts have been removed from this thread

Thanks,

Priscilla
Expat.com Team

Just a reminder about renting in Accra, you have to pay at least 6 months rent up front so be prepared for that. Also there are plenty of bogus landlords so make sure the people you are speaking to and pay money to are genuine property agents. If you look on accraexpat.com you will get high-end property prices on Tonaton.com you will get more reasonably priced properties.

Really appreciate this thank you.

I'm looking for somewhere to live. I can't stand England. I've always loved Africa and everything about it but never got to explore it. I have been in Nairobi for a year and a half before this global situation but I now want to come to Accra as I was told the music scene is incredible and diverse. This cultural melting pot of creativity is one thing I'm attracted to. I'm a music producer and I want to be in a vibrant city.

I also want to get involved in some form of volunteer work with children some how. I don't know how but I do want to. I have had quite an eventful life with a lot of trauma in it from an early age and it destroyed my life. The early years of my life were tainted with abuse and it shaped my existence in a very detrimental way. I was also conditioned in such a way that led me down paths that would never lead to inner heartfelt fulfilment in life.

I had a bed bound illness for 6 years when I was 30 which led to me having a very intense spiritual awakening and my reality got flipped inside out. I realised so much of how my life was conditioned in such detrimental ways come from my early experiences. I would love to be able to help children create solid loving godly foundations to build their life on and also give them the psychological tools to be able to be as energetically balanced as possible with their outlooks and perspectives. There's so much we should be taught at an early age in school about life itself, that is neglected here in England. The education system is basically an indoctrination. I want to give children life tools that will help them embellish their true potentials to be the greatest loving versions they can be. This is missing in education I believe.

I want to bring value to where I go if I can, not just have fun. That's just a small part of the equation.

Sounds a very worthy thing to do. There are various organisations that allow you to volunteer, as to stay here you will need a resident's permit.

Thanks for the heads up on the areas. I don't want to live in a place full of people where I come from haha. I want to immerse myself in your culture and find out more about you as a whole. Going specifically to an expat area isn't really my bag.

Have you any official websites for local letting agents , please?

What's the situation with a visiting visa, please? Do you know how long this is for? A residents permit is something I'd consider if I want to stay.

It is usually for 3 months. Look on the Ghana Immigration website for information

Thank you :)

For accommodation out of expat areas look at tonaton.com

This is awesome. It will be great to have you in our great city of Accra, Ghana which is enrich in culture,tourism,music etc The Motherland will always welcome you with an open hands my friend  :)

Thank you so much :)

Thank you that's great, really appreciate this.

Thank you so much and looking forward to

Hi Scott

Ghana is a beautiful place and I'm not sure if you're already in Ghana but I can assure you'd love it here.

With the global pandemic youd definitely need to get the Covid tests and possibly the vaccines.  You'd also need to get the covid test on arrival at the airport.

Accomodation, nightlife, gyms, yoga centers etc are easy to get. There are serviced apartments, short stay apartments and many others.

The people of Ghana are very friendly. Trust you'd enjoy your stay here.

Hi Scott, i am fatima and i am in Accra . You can email me on *** and hopefully i can be of help?

Moderated by Diksha 2 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Is better you get an insider, I mean Ghanaian because not all house at Tonaton are genuine
Not all people are genuine over there
Don't follow Tonaton Tonaton Tonaton
Get someone in Ghana to assist you more on that before u fall a victim