Where to deposit US stimulus paper check (Philippines)

I have a question and maybe someone with the same case? I tried to deposit my 2 stimulus check to my friend Us bank account because we thought it is ok to deposit but the bank close her account what will happen to my 2 stimulus check? We called the bank and it says that they will return the money to Irs, my question is will the Irs return the check to me? Thank you

Hi, how much the initial deposit? thank you

jdy2134 wrote:

I have a question and maybe someone with the same case? I tried to deposit my 2 stimulus check to my friend Us bank account because we thought it is ok to deposit but the bank close her account what will happen to my 2 stimulus check? We called the bank and it says that they will return the money to Irs, my question is will the Irs return the check to me? Thank you

This smells like two months old unrefrigerated Tilapia.

If the checks were deposited in her account, then she had the money in her account. If the bank closed the account any balance would be returned to her.

Most accounts are closed for insufficient funds (overdrafts, rubber checks).

I believe you better find better friends and don't eat the Tilapia.

So there will be no other way that the Irs will return my check?

My first stimulus check went to an old, closed bank account. They held onto it for a week, then sent it back to the IRS. About a month later, it was mailed to me, so if that bank sent your checks back, they may send paper checks to your on file address. However, if any were from last year, you might have to claim them on your tax filing. If you already filed for 2020, you would probably have to file an amended tax form.
You can visit the irs website, they used to have a “where's my stimulus payment” section where you could find out about missing stimulus payments. You can also update your information.

Did you call the Irs to mailed you the paper check? It's been 2 months since we deposit the check and the bank close her account. What I have to do? Do I need to call the Irs to mail the paper check to me?

Nope, it happened automatically without my intervention. Have you tried accessing the IRS website? That's a good place to start

Hi,

I had my stimulus direct deposited to Bank of America but it was through Payoneer, a payment platform similar to Transferwise and they rejected it. I called the IRS and they said I should receive a notice by Sept 20th and to follow the instruction on that notice. Did anybody have the same experience? What did you have to do?

Direct electronic deposit is the only way to go.

My check got rejected by the bank too and the funds was returned to IRS after 5 business days. When I called the IRS on Tuesday, I was told that I should receive a notice in the mail here in the Philippines and to follow any instructions on that notice. From my understanding, they do the same thing for funds sent to a closed bank account. You should have either received a notice or your paper checks in the mail depending on the situation. This is my first time filing for the stimulus check so maybe they need to verify my identity first before they send my check. They also said that they will investigate why the bank rejected the funds which will take about 8-10 weeks from the date they expect me to receive the notice they sent (Sept 20). You might want to call the IRS to find out what happened.

I will try to call Irs, thank you

Hi, how did you call th Irs? I can't contact the number posted online. Thank you

1-800-919-9835

Thrilled that I found this thread , we also went with the LandBank option.
Quick Q : On average, how long does it take to clear ? Lady at the bank said 2 months! , Is that accurate ? Or could it be less ?

Landbank is slow at cashing checks. We also have an account at security bank and they cash checks from the US in 8 banking days. So far we have deposited three checks and all cleared and funds available in less than 8 days. Good luck

Actually checks should clear fast but the bank puts a hold on crediting to your account. I have deposited checks drawn from my Citibank account to my BDO account. Checking my Citibank account online the checks cleared the next day but BDO puts a 20 day (working days) hold before making the funds available.

So instead of me drawing money by check from Citibank to BDO and paying a fee to do so, I now use "wise", getting the money in a few hours with a fee slightly larger than BDO would have charged me.

Thanks , wish I would've known about Security Bank beforehand . What was the initial deposit requirement to open ?

I have a Landbank account. Its a 15 working day clearing and a 10 working day hold. 25 working day total. Landbank is the most lenient when a comes to requirements.

What are the requirements to open a Security bank account?

Enzyte Bob wrote:

Actually checks should clear fast but the bank puts a hold on crediting to your account. I have deposited checks drawn from my Citibank account to my BDO account. Checking my Citibank account online the checks cleared the next day but BDO puts a 20 day (working days) hold before making the funds available.

So instead of me drawing money by check from Citibank to BDO and paying a fee to do so, I now use "wise", getting the money in a few hours with a fee slightly larger than BDO would have charged me.

Think it's called OPM. Making interest money by lending Other People's Money to others. "It's more fun in the Philippines"

Hello! I tried depositing my stimulus checks to my BPI Dollar account, and endorsed them with my BPI account number on the back (handwritten in pen). Unfortunately BPI won't take them. I'm still trying to sort out whether or not the BPI acct number on the endorsement will invalidate my checks, since apparently countersigning checks are no longer accepted here...
Anyway, once that is sorted out, I plan on opening a Landbank dollar account and have them deposited there. Does Landbank continue to accept US Treasury stim checks? I'm just a little worried after reading a comment here that they've stopped accepting these.
I'm a dual Filipino/US citizen so documentation isn't a problem. Thanks!

I have a Landbank peso account and i deposited all of my Stimulus checks
Theres a 25 day clearing and 10 day bank hold. After that it funds will be available.

I have been trying to help a friend for five months cash her stimulus checks.  I am an Enrolled Agent with the IRS (NO I don't work FOR them).  I do have 35 years experience.  This is the most upsetting thing I've dealt with in my tax work or dealing with IRS and banks.  Has anyone actually been able to deposit the stimulus checks in a Philippine's bank?  And get the money out.
# 1.  I know that it is possible to deposit your check in a Bank in the United States.  However, the IRS has told me that it is illegal.  If you are the one that has the check AND you are on the account with the person you are depositing it, then it is OK.  If you aren't on the account, IRS told me very clearly that it is against the law and that they CAN VOID the check.  ? I don't know if they really do.  I am going to try (again) to get a hold of an Agent that helps solve these problems. 
# 2.  I have had at least a half dozen banks tell me that they can open an account and accept the checks.  Most say it will take at least a month before they will let any of the money out of the account.  BUT I have NOT had any bank actually come through and do it.  She doesn't have a bank account now so that may be part of the problem.
# 3.  I have learned of a way to do it.  I think it works for most people, but it hasn't for my friend.  The checks get deposited into the State Department Federal Credit Union and the SDFCU will work to deposit it in an account abroad -- including the Philippines.  They best way to get accepted into SDFCU, in my opinion, is to get accepted into the American Citizens Abroad OR ACA. There is a fee of $70 she had to pay.  There may be a way to get that waived.  Once you get membership in ACA which doesn't take long to do that, you apply at SDFCU.  If you don't do this they want someone who is a member to sponsor you.  SDFCU puts a lot of priority with membership in ACA.  Then you have to go to the SDFCU.com or .org.  Actually, when you are accepted into ACA they have a link that takes you into the SDFCU application.  Take time to read the instructions.  You need copy of Passport, social security card, etc.  Her problem is the "Proof of Address" form.  They want one of these four options to prove address.  1.  Rent receipt (she had one but they didn't accept it.  It was month to month).  2.  Mortgage loan  3.  Utilities bill  or 4.  Cell phone bill.  This is just -- A BAD standard.  How many people are living with parents; friend, etc. and have none of these?  I feel like it has to be common.  She has really good documents that really do prove her address, but it isn't one of the above 4 and they have not accepted her.  I still believe SDFCU is one of the best options and won't be too hard to get in and get the checks cashed.  if you have one of those four.  **********  I would really appreciate a way that works to cash these!!  I will watch for answers.

Hello ,

You need to open a USD acct at a local bank here in the Philippines . Try the ones that only require a 100 USD initial deposit to open such as LandBank or PDB (Philippine Development Bank).
Go through the admittedly strenuous process of paperwork in opening the account , deposit the check and wait anywhere from a week to 2 months for the check to clear. Once cleared , withdraw your money 🤑💰.

Did you get your checks deposited.  Be careful of the Branch.  They still accept them, but . . .   my friend had tried three times  First said "NO" and then different things.  But this time it was that they had to have this "Alien Registration , ACR I-CARD .  I assume you have one.
She has just been a US Citizen for @ 15 years. Came back to Philippines to care for her mother who died.  By then Pandemic had hit and she did not have the money to leave and her green card has high penalties on it.  Do you know of any way to get those waived?  If get a dual citizen is there any way penalties will be dropped.  Where can she find help to wade through all these things.  Thank you.

My friend is in the same situation.  She hasn't been able to cash her checks.  Landbank has given her the run around on everything, but there is still hope.  I would appreciate an answer.  Thank you! 

@sarahw45 Hello, good evening, what is the requirements to open a dollar account?

Funny all my dollar checks are deposited at Landbank in a dollar passbook account.

FWIW. . . .

When arriving in the Philippines with my Filipina wife, (at that time we were married 11 years) she opened an account at BDO. We deposited a personal check drawn on our joint bank account in the states, which took four weeks to be credited. (Checking my account in the states it actually cleared the next day.)

Then some time later I received a check from the US Treasury, it seemed I made a mistake in my tax return and they sent me a check for about $400. BDO would not accept the check for deposit.

My stepson using a VPN and a banking app, deposited the check in Citibank USA with his smart phone, with no problem.

Hi Sarah.I'm same I have check.I try my peso account to rcbc tomorrow if work.I ask to Bdo not accept my check.I have 3check.

I didnt get any Stimulus checks, and I lost about 600k... FJB