Anyone here living in Natal??

Anyone here living in Natal?  I am from the US, have been living in Ecuador for the past 5 years. Looking for the next place, Natal is attractive to me because of the area and the beaches. Investigating  the cost of living on Numbeo.com, curious about any input about how accurate the Numbeo information is??

Many thanks
expat42451
Cotacachi Ecuador

Hi there, I'm from Belo Horizonte, but lived in Natal from 2014 to 2020. Also my whole family is from the city, so I've known the place all of my life. Happy to share advice.
Cost of living is relatively low compared to most major cities. Some examples:
- Rent in a 2-bedroom, 56 sqm apartment 3 blocks from the beach with ocean view: BRL 2,000 (including rent, property tax and "condominium").
- Gasoline is at BRL 4.75/liter
- Supermarket expenses would be around BRL 1,000-1,300 per month for a couple

Extra tip:
Depending on your profession, might be really hard to find work as the whole State economy is based on public service and politics is extremely strong. So, professionally, I'd recommend Recife and Fortaleza much better.

Are you a citizen of Ecuador?
It will make a difference as to MERCOSUR, You may work if you a MERCOSUR citizen. If not and a US citizen you will not be able to work, There are many COVID restrictions in place.

brunopalacio & Texanbrazil
Thanks very  much for the replies. All I have access to other than this forum is Numbeo.....  Far as Ecuador goes I have a national ID but do not yet have a passport. Work wise I am semi retired and most of my work is online with clients outside of South America so what work I do, dont think that would be a problem.....

Looking for a place to cycle and surf. Have been reading about surf spots in that part of Brazil.

Many thanks to both of you for the kind assistance and information.

Following up on Tex's question, Brazil has different -- more liberal -- rules for Mercosul citizens than for the rest of the world.

As a US citizen, you'll be allowed to stay in Brazil for up to 90 days, with an additional extension permitted for another 90 days, up to a maximum of 180 days in every 365.  You won't be able to open an bank account, and you probably won't be able to rent an apartment or a house, Air B&B is always an option; it's taken a big hit during the pandemic, but that could work to your benefit if any properties are renting.

Without an employment contract or a family connection (like marriage to a Brazilian), Natal is probably more viable as an extended vacation than as your next five year base.

What passport you have will be the starting point. If you are a US citizen with a valid passport, you will need to follow the COnsulate's and PF guidelines to become a permanent resident.
If you are a citizen of Ecuador he should not have an issue. Just an ID will not work.

Texanbrazil wrote:

What passport you have will be the starting point. If you are a US citizen with a valid passport, you will need to follow the COnsulate's and PF guidelines to become a permanent resident.
If you are a citizen of Ecuador he should not have an issue. Just an ID will not work.

Tex,

From his reply above, it sounds like he has permanent residency in Ecuador, but not citizenship, i.e., the  Ecuadorean equivalent of Brazil's CRNM, but not a passport.

If he has Ecuadorean citizenship, then yes, he can apply for two years' temporary residency at the Federal Police on his Ecuadorean passport, easy-peasy.  :)

Agree and really my point. If he is a citizen of Ecuador and granted a passport, all is well. Having a BR CRNM will not grant me the right to live in Argentina due to my US passport.
But what is an Ecuador ID?
If one recalls, many PY and AR citizens working in BR were bus to their borders. Once there were no jobs, they no longer had the status.

Texanbrazil wrote:

But what is an Ecuador ID?
If one recalls, many PY and AR citizens working in BR were bus to their borders. Once there were no jobs, they no longer had the status.

There's a special, more permissive law governing citizens of Brazil's immediate neighbors in the frontier zone.  In Foz, you're right in the middle of the frontier zone, so you get to see it up close and personal, busses and all.

Ecuador doesn't share a border with Brazil (through a historical quirk it has a border treaty with Brazil,  but that's another story.  :lol: ), so that regime wouldn't apply.  Besides, Natal's about as far from a frontier zone as one can be.

@expat42451

hi there are still there, we are living here in Brazil south of natal

Hello peanutme,

Welcome !

That member hasn't logged to the website for the past 2 years.

It would be better if you open a new topic on the Natal forum so that active members may guide you.

All the best

Bhavna