Cheapest cities in Brazil

Hello everyone,

Budget is an important consideration when moving to Brazil. Ideally, expats would settle down in a city in Brazil where the cost of living is low but where they could also enjoy a decent quality of life. Would you be able to give a few tips to someone planning a move to Brazil by answering the questions below?

What are the cheapest cities in Brazil?

Why are they cheap? What singles them out as a city where the cost of living is low?

What is the average budget for one person living in these cities?

Is it easy to find a job as an expat in these cities? What is the overall quality of life like?

Are they expat friendly? Would you recommend these cities to someone looking to settle in Brazil?

Please share your experience,

Bhavna

The cheapest cities would be far north. In my experience the southern part of Brazil is more expensive
because of the very European culture - better restaurants and more amenities and comfort. Jobs are
more abundant because there are more business opportunities.

Hi Robal, thank you so much for the feedback.

In some countries, the more you move inland, away from coastal regions, the less expensive cost of living would be. Do you think it would apply to Brazil or it would be more likely be a South - North basis ?

:cheers:
Bhavna

Hi Bhavna,

With regards to the cost of living in Brazil, the principle of inland geo-targeting is valid.
Coastal living is always expensive in or off-season. I haven´t seen any inland city even
bordering Argentina, Paraguay or Bolivia to be equal or more expensive.

So the north in principle is always cheaper coastal or in-land compared to the south.

robal

I do not know the majority of cities, therefore can not say as to the cheapest. We have a home in Foz do Iguacu and Curitiba. Foz is the cheaper of the two by far. Taxes on home is less and dining is less.
Curitiba has more options as to dining and different places to see. Whereas Foz has one of the 7 World Heritage Sites, Iguacu Falls. Over 1.8 million visitor come to see 275 water falls located in one place and tourism is the main source of income for those working in Foz.
Curitiba is the capital of Parana and many shopping, banking options and better hospitals.
Foz is a smaller city (300,000) and more relaxing than Curitiba, Foz also border Argentina and Paraguay which allows many to travel to see the many places in Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay.
We often visit other cities in SC, RJ and SP states. Thanks to an international airport in Foz and the close Puerto Iguazú, AR airport we can travel to Peru and B.A., Argentina often and RJ, SP and Curitiba
Many things as labor is cheaper in Foz. Many from Argentina and Paraguay can preform maintenance items in the home for less.
Many different dining places are in Foz and do draw many tourists. Also with the 2nd largest hydrogeneration plant in the world supplying many states in BR and 80% of Paraguay. Thus offering many jobs, but lower pay.
We live comfortable in foz for around $2000 U$D per month. Private health insurance and housekeeper is the largest expense each month.
Curitiba has better infrastructures as roads and parking. Electricity is much less being close to the major generating plant.

Texanbrazil wrote:

I do not know the majority of cities, therefore can not say as to the cheapest. We have a home in Foz do Iguacu and Curitiba. Foz is the cheaper of the two by far. Taxes on home is less and dining is less.
Curitiba has more options as to dining and different places to see. Whereas Foz has one of the 7 World Heritage Sites, Iguacu Falls. Over 1.8 million visitor come to see 275 water falls located in one place and tourism is the main source of income for those working in Foz.
Curitiba is the capital of Parana and many shopping, banking options and better hospitals.
Foz is a smaller city (300,000) and more relaxing than Curitiba, Foz also border Argentina and Paraguay which allows many to travel to see the many places in Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay.
We often visit other cities in SC, RJ and SP states. Thanks to an international airport in Foz and the close Puerto Iguazú, AR airport we can travel to Peru and B.A., Argentina often and RJ, SP and Curitiba
Many things as labor is cheaper in Foz. Many from Argentina and Paraguay can preform maintenance items in the home for less.
Many different dining places are in Foz and do draw many tourists. Also with the 2nd largest hydrogeneration plant in the world supplying many states in BR and 80% of Paraguay. Thus offering many jobs, but lower pay.
We live comfortable in foz for around $2000 U$D per month. Private health insurance and housekeeper is the largest expense each month.
Curitiba has better infrastructures as roads and parking. Electricity is much less being close to the major generating plant.

You want people to crowd your city? You shouldn´t be advertising like that! I know it´s nice there
and the restaurants are outstanding! But Novo Hamburgo is also nice with good infrasructure and restaurants but I think the Gaucha women are the most beautiful in all of Brazil!

robal

Think word is already out.
"Cowgirls just want to have a good time". I'm with you there.
Only been at Porto Alegre airport for a connection. Looked nice and highways!!! Only one we have is 277 and many road stops with highway patrol, PF and RF looing for stuff.

Yes, the north is the most affordable. I lived in Rio for many years and now live in Cumbuco.
Cumbuco is west of Fortaleza, CE. Come on up for the easy life.

I live in the north inland on a river in Imperatriz. It's a small city has a local Airport. The close Internations Airport is Belen. 9 hour by car from Imperatriz. The cost of living here depends what you do and have. We have new car pay for insurance 5500 a year license 4200 a year and health Insurance not sure what that cost I think around 1,600 to 2,000 all cost are in Reals. We own our house average bills 750 for electric, water about 70 internet 150 and homeowners insurance 422 a year. Food is about 1,200 to 1,400 a month restaurant are mostly cheap great rib dinner 42 for 2 or high end Restaurant 250. Gas for the car full tank 190. Depends how much we travel. We have a daughter who live 3 to 4 hour drive each way we visit. That takes two fillups but that bring up back to full tank. My wife go to a gym 80 per month and we have a maid once a week 350 a month. Over all our average expenses in Dollars is around 2,200 a month. We don't have car payment. There is a  drops in our expenses since we pay off out car and house insurance in 3 to 4 month each year. This is the total   of our monthly equal to Reals around 8,500. The negative living here if we wants to flight anywhere except São Paulo is direct. We usually have to go through many cities and layovers. The direct flight to São Paulo leaves at 2am arrive at 5:30 am. I am not sure what people considers as cheap but we live a good life her.

If you must be near a job pool, then the term cheap should not apply.  Bad choice of words.   

Affordable with good quality of live, decent health care, and close enough to Sao Paulo, here are my top picks:

the ABC Metro Region.  Sao Caetano do Sul, Santo Andre, Sao Bernardo ( large elderly population ). Close to Sao Paulo, overall decent quality of life, infra structure. 

Campinas. Good hospitals, schools, a high tech hub.  Adjoining cities also deserving ( Paulinia, Holambra, Sumare, Valinhos, Vinhedo, Indaiatuba, Jundiai  ).

Sorocaba. A manufacturing hub, developed urban planning. 

Vale do Paraiba : Sao Jose dos Campos, Taubate. Solid industrial base, decent hospitals, schools.

East of Sao Paulo Mogi das Cruzes.  Huge Japanese heritage in Mogi and Suzano .

Ribeirao Preto, also nicknamed the Brazilian California. This is an Agribusiness and Industrial Hub with excelent hospitals and eductional system .

Also the Santa Catarina. Seeing your are Indian. you might be suprised to see some industrious hubs such as Blumenau ( Brazil's Software City ), quaint Florianopolis, and so many others.  Even smaller towns have some decent health care and educational systems.  Thank the German emigrees for such great heritage.

Curitiba.  At one time a darling in urban planning.   Good schools, strong manufacturing base.  At one time in the past, if you did not have a job, and a place to live, they send you on your way back with a return bus ticket. They wanted to avoid the development of slums around the city.  No longer a practice, stil a gorgeous town to see. 

Folks from Curitiba are a bit provincians and wary of outsiders.  They tend to not warm up to you that quickly.    Winters are cold and humid there.