Giving Birth in Brazil

Hello Everyone! I am here because I am desperate in answers. I've heard that the best spot to give birth in brazil is in Florianopolis. Does anyone have an idea about the price for Cesarean Delivery? Hospital Recommendation? Monthly rent? As I'm travelling back to Dubai, after getting my baby's passport.

Just know that any kind response from you guys will be deeply appreciated. Hoping to get a reply here.

why not giving birth in your country????

Are you married to a Brazialian?

It is very unfortunate that all the ‘giving birth' related post has more questions, advices and out of topic arguments which has nothing to do with initial question.

Dear Jannah bi
I heard the same about florianopolis. C-section is not something on demand in Brazil. But it is possible. Specially in private hospitals. You have to make the deal before hand. After the birth, it should not take more than 15/20 days to get the passport and RG for the newborn.
For C-section you will be paying for the operating doctor, an assistant operator and anesthetist. A good private hospital will charge 3500-4500 Brazilian real. Rest, it all depends on your choice. Type of room and service and how many days. Same goes to your house rent. Try olx to have an idea.

what is unfortunate is that so many people use this site, originally made for expat people, to obtain information about how to trick the system, illegal things  such as illegal immigration, false marriage, unlawful childbirth, etc...
this site should not be the place for that... painful really...

If referring to my question it can help us with costs.  If she is Brazilian she may have insurance, she also has SUS. If she is not she may need a consultation and entry from a doctor.
People searching for the best health facility. in the bounds of Florianópolis, SC, Brazil have a variety of choices to look into in the nearby region. The doctors. within this hospital. provides you with outstanding assistance.
It is not unlawful to give birth in Brazil.

So you are one of those. Illegal childbirth? Get out of your ignorance mate. Your liking or disliking does not trump someone's right.
If a fat guy can come to Brazil for a tummy tuck then a woman can come here to give birth. None of our business. Never disrespect a women by calling illegal child birth.

I meet family from Canada who came to Brazil because its cheaper to give birth.
I meet family from burkina faso came to give birth because they think medical facility is lot better in Brazil.

Pathetic. No need to get judgmental without knowing the reality.
I hope u will not write any further to answer my comment just to destroy the thread.

11/06/21

Michel Duce wrote:

what is unfortunate is that so many people use this site, originally made for expat people, to obtain information about how to trick the system, illegal things  such as illegal immigration, false marriage, unlawful childbirth, etc...
this site should not be the place for that... painful really...

Brazil, like most countries in the Western Hemisphere, is a "jus soli" country:  practically anyone born here, except for the children of foreign citizens in Brazil on official business for their governments, is automatically a Brazilian citizen, regardless of the status of their parents.

Expat .com does not support illegal activity, or provide advice to assist it.  While the Brazilian Government certainly does not encourage birth tourism, it hasn't outlawed it yet, either.  As long as that is the case, it's legal, and we'll try to answer questions honestly and helpfully, while also being clear about the difficulties of living in and navigating a huge country where the questioner won't be able to work legally or speak and understand the language, at a very stressful time in anyone's life.

Since when was it illegal to give birth in Brazil? Also, I can choose wherever I wanna give birth, its my birth right. I thought this is a safe place to speak about stuff turns out some people aren't very nice to just answer or give a kind feedback at least. Where is his hate coming from?

arman737ng wrote:

It is very unfortunate that all the ‘giving birth' related post has more questions, advices and out of topic arguments which has nothing to do with initial question.

Dear Jannah bi
I heard the same about florianopolis. C-section is not something on demand in Brazil. But it is possible. Specially in private hospitals. You have to make the deal before hand. After the birth, it should not take more than 15/20 days to get the passport and RG for the newborn.
For C-section you will be paying for the operating doctor, an assistant operator and anesthetist. A good private hospital will charge 3500-4500 Brazilian real. Rest, it all depends on your choice. Type of room and service and how many days. Same goes to your house rent. Try olx to have an idea.

Thank you so much for  :heart:

Texanbrazil wrote:

If referring to my question it can help us with costs.  If she is Brazilian she may have insurance, she also has SUS. If she is not she may need a consultation and entry from a doctor.
People searching for the best health facility. in the bounds of Florianópolis, SC, Brazil have a variety of choices to look into in the nearby region. The doctors. within this hospital. provides you with outstanding assistance.
It is not unlawful to give birth in Brazil.

THANK YOU  :heart:

Michel Duce wrote:

why not giving birth in your country????

Because Its my choice?  :/

arman737ng wrote:

Dear Jannah bi

Very helpful, I appreciate it. :heart: Sorry what is OLX?

Hell y'all. What happened is, I called many hospitals (for birth delivery) and none have answered me in English. It was all difficult :( they just hung up phone on me, whener I ask cost for Cesarean operation. If any of you know a direct contact to an English speaking maternity hospital or a doctor. Id appreciate it so much!

I am interested in this topic. I too want to fly to Brazil from Pakistan to give birth and also stay for 2-3 years. Any kind of advice is welcome! Since I don't know anything about it.

arman737ng wrote:

So you are one of those. Illegal childbirth? Get out of your ignorance mate. Your liking or disliking does not trump someone's right.
If a fat guy can come to Brazil for a tummy tuck then a woman can come here to give birth. None of our business. Never disrespect a women by calling illegal child birth.

I meet family from Canada who came to Brazil because its cheaper to give birth.
I meet family from burkina faso came to give birth because they think medical facility is lot better in Brazil.

Pathetic. No need to get judgmental without knowing the reality.
I hope u will not write any further to answer my comment just to destroy the thread.

hum, no hate here...  first thing illegal immigrants do when they arrive in brazil is to get some woman pregnant, so that they can claim for residency since they have a kid here...
this is not illegal either...
and you right, it is not illegal to come give birth in brazil, just to get a brazilian passport for the baby... 
lots of things are not illegal in brazil...
or even if they are illegal, nobody cares...

i guess i should not care either...

jannah bi wrote:

Hell y'all. What happened is, I called many hospitals (for birth delivery) and none have answered me in English. It was all difficult :( they just hung up phone on me, whener I ask cost for Cesarean operation. If any of you know a direct contact to an English speaking maternity hospital or a doctor. Id appreciate it so much!

Dear jannah bi,

i am based in Campinas/SP. i have no idea about Floripa. I would suggest smaller and quite towns. It will make your life easier.
OLX brazil is a classified website. You can have an idea of your house rent by city. Use auto translator.
In a good private hospital in campinas, cesarean, and VIP accommodation( they call it) (private room, ac, one company, all food provided for both and so on) for 3 nights is around 2000-2500 USD. All inclusive package.

11/07/21

jannah bi wrote:

Jannah,

As I said above, Brazil is a rigorously monolingual country, and finding English-speaking professionals in  smaller capitals like Florianópolis, Santa Catarina can be difficult.  It is not surprising that the hospitals you called became flustered and hung up.

There is an Honorary Philippine Consulate General in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, the next state south of Santa Catarina.  They may be able to direct you to some English-speaking services, since Santa Catarina is in their region.  Unfortunately, it's an honorary consulate, so it's not staffed by professional diplomatic personnel, and the office hours are probably erratic; it's there to help Filipino citizens, though.  Here's their contact information:

https://www.embassypages.com/philippine … gre-brazil

After your baby is born, you'll probably want to register the birth at that consulate.

You should carefully consider Arman's advice on Campinas, since he and his wife have had good luck there.

With respect to another comment, it would be wise to avoid talking too much about "rights" to give birth in Brazil:  no one has a right to give birth in a country where she is not a legal resident.  You'll be taking advantage of a loophole in Brazilian law that Brazilian authorities haven't closed yet, but many aren't comfortable with, either.  You're not planning anything illegal, but you're skirting the edge of the law, and there's anecdotal evidence of consulates rejecting visa applications and immigration officers turning people back at the airport whose stated aim was to give birth here.  You NEVER want to lie to Brazilian authorities, but being discreet and keeping a low profile is a very good idea.

11/07/21

The validity periods for Brazilian passports for children are:

Age                                                                                  Validity

0 - 1 year                                                                           1 year
1 - 2 years                                                                        2 years
2 - 3 years                                                                        3 years
3 - 4 years                                                                        4 years
4 - 18 years                                                                      5 years
18 years and over                                                          10 years

Until your child is 18, and especially in the early years when they grow quickly, you'll be getting a lot of passports.  If you're living in Brazil, it's just a matter of going to the Federal Police.  If you're living abroad, however, you'll always want to know how to get to the nearest Brazilian Embassy or Consulate.

abthree wrote:

11/07/21

jannah bi wrote:

Jannah,

As I said above, Brazil is a rigorously monolingual country, and finding English-speaking professionals in  smaller capitals like Florianópolis, Santa Catarina can be difficult.  It is not surprising that the hospitals you called became flustered and hung up.

There is an Honorary Philippine Consulate General in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, the next state south of Santa Catarina.  They may be able to direct you to some English-speaking services, since Santa Catarina is in their region.  Unfortunately, it's an honorary consulate, so it's not staffed by professional diplomatic personnel, and the office hours are probably erratic; it's there to help Filipino citizens, though.  Here's their contact information:

https://www.embassypages.com/philippine … gre-brazil

After your baby is born, you'll probably want to register the birth at that consulate.

You should carefully consider Arman's advice on Campinas, since he and his wife have had good luck there.

With respect to another comment, it would be wise to avoid talking too much about "rights" to give birth in Brazil:  no one has a right to give birth in a country where she is not a legal resident.  You'll be taking advantage of a loophole in Brazilian law that Brazilian authorities haven't closed yet, but many aren't comfortable with, either.  You're not planning anything illegal, but you're skirting the edge of the law, and there's anecdotal evidence of consulates rejecting visa applications and immigration officers turning people back at the airport whose stated aim was to give birth here.  You NEVER want to lie to Brazilian authorities, but being discreet and keeping a low profile is a very good idea.

Thank you, ill take note of that, is it ok to say, im going to brazil to give birth when asked by immigration?

arman737ng wrote:
jannah bi wrote:

Dear jannah bi,

i am based in Campinas/SP. i have no idea about Floripa. I would suggest smaller and quite towns. It will make your life easier.
OLX brazil is a classified website. You can have an idea of your house rent by city. Use auto translator.
In a good private hospital in campinas, cesarean, and VIP accommodation( they call it) (private room, ac, one company, all food provided for both and so on) for 3 nights is around 2000-2500 USD. All inclusive package.

Thanks! Also, I was told, I can give birth to  public hospital,  even as a tourist? Is that right? And is for free.. 🤔🤔 i hope my source is correct.

I understand you want to give better options to your child, I really would do the same in your position...

but, be cleaver!! don't say anything at immigration!!! ffff.... in usa, u sure be banned... and I think here too....

good luck.....

11/08/21

Yes, you can give birth in a public hospital,  and it is free.  The actual delivery care is competent, although naturally,  100% in Portuguese.

Understand that pre-natal care is generally not available to non-residents in the public system, nor, according to the people I've known who went through it, is anesthesia.   If the attending physician determines that an emergency c-section is required,  that is performed under anesthesia, of course.

11/07/21

jannah bi wrote:

Thank you, ill take note of that, is it ok to say, im going to brazil to give birth when asked by immigration?

Millions of people come to Brazil every year on vacation:   there's so much to see and do here, that the attractions are easy to understand.

Some of those people also have babies while they're here.  It's just the nature of things, and I doubt that it comes up in any conversations they have with Immigration on arrival.  Immigration probably won't bring it up if they don't.

jannah bi wrote:
arman737ng wrote:
jannah bi wrote:

Dear jannah bi,

Thanks! Also, I was told, I can give birth to  public hospital,  even as a tourist? Is that right? And is for free.. 🤔🤔 i hope my source is correct.

Dear Jannah,
Don't get me wrong. I have just gone through the same situation. And i did not get all the right informations from here. I was even scared to ask any question thinking that i might get humiliated. Now that i am through, i try my best to leave all the current informations relating to the issue. There is a big difference between Birth Tourism and Medical Tourism. I got protective about you, thinking you might be at the same situation as i was. I for one whole heartedly support medical tourism but not Birth Tourism.
We came for a holiday 5 months back and our border got closed for Brazil. It is still closed. We kept on waiting thinking that it will open soon, which never happened till date. I could have taken the option going via 3rd country. But we did not take the risk thinking, what if she goes into labour during the process. Last 5 months was not easy for us. It was only me who was allowed to travel back n forth, provided i am on my uniform. (Under a spcl law). Brazil stood beside us during our bad time. So we took the permanent residency. We as parents will make sure that our son fulfills all the duties as a Brazilian. (Military, voting and so on)
I as a level headed person, always try to think positive. I dont make stereo type, generalize comments just because u asked about giving birth in Brazil. But I would say Brazilian public fund is for them not for you and i.
I hope u would take it positively.

arman737ng wrote:
jannah bi wrote:
arman737ng wrote:

Dear jannah bi,

Dear Jannah,
Don't get me wrong. I have just gone through the same situation. And i did not get all the right informations from here. I was even scared to ask any question thinking that i might get humiliated. Now that i am through, i try my best to leave all the current informations relating to the issue. There is a big difference between Birth Tourism and Medical Tourism. I got protective about you, thinking you might be at the same situation as i was. I for one whole heartedly support medical tourism but not Birth Tourism.
We came for a holiday 5 months back and our border got closed for Brazil. It is still closed. We kept on waiting thinking that it will open soon, which never happened till date. I could have taken the option going via 3rd country. But we did not take the risk thinking, what if she goes into labour during the process. Last 5 months was not easy for us. It was only me who was allowed to travel back n forth, provided i am on my uniform. (Under a spcl law). Brazil stood beside us during our bad time. So we took the permanent residency. We as parents will make sure that our son fulfills all the duties as a Brazilian. (Military, voting and so on)
I as a level headed person, always try to think positive. I dont make stereo type, generalize comments just because u asked about giving birth in Brazil. But I would say Brazilian public fund is for them not for you and i.
I hope u would take it positively.

Which border is closed?

Turkey. They closed their border for Brazil on 30th of June 2021.

@jannah bi so after all the madness on this thread did you end up making it to brazil? you never came back to give a follow up.... Would like to know how your experience went.

@jannah bi It was a legitimate question. Texanbrazil is one of the most highly regarded members of expat.com. Your answers will help clarify what is possible.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

@jannah bi Brazil is a very Portuguese language country. Hardley anyone speaks English. It would be easier to find a bilingual person to assist you then to find an English-speaking person to talk to.

Roddie in Retirement1f575.svg

@Texanbrazil Good information