Mortgage in the Netherlands for Dutch Nationals abroad

Hello,

I am a Dutch national currently living in the US on a green card, and am looking to purchase a house in the Netherlands. Does anyone have any information regarding how Dutch nationals living abroad can obtain a mortgage to fund the purchase?

Essentially, we would prefer to buy something instead of having to rent accommodation every time we come and visit, which is normally 2-3 months out of a year. I have seen specialized services that offer mortgages to USD earners (non EUR incomes), but they are all vauge on whether one needs to be physically residing in the Netherlands to qualify. We have BSN numbers so that makes life a little easier, it's just the foreign currency income that's a challenge

Any thoughts or experiences from folks who've undertaken a similar journey would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Hello, its really quite easy. Contact Ciara Dunne she does international sale/purchase and can advise you +31 621437961. She just helped me sell my place in Amsterdam since I am back in SA. Best of luck!!

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Assuming you can get a bank to give you a mortgage, the only thing of note is that the National Mortgage Guarantee scheme will limit you to a mortgage of under 310k euro.

Speak to your bank in the Netherlands and watch out for scammers.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

If you can get a mortgage which I doubt to be honest with no income in the Netherlands or the EU. Finding a place would also be very difficult the housing market has an enormous shortage of payable houses or appartments.

Ik wens jullie in ieder geval veel succes met de zoektocht.

When I researched this some 6 months ago, I found the ABN AMRO bank the only bank willing to provide a mortgage for a pied a terre, based on a non-NL income.

hupsakee wrote:

When I researched this some 6 months ago, I found the ABN AMRO bank the only bank willing to provide a mortgage for a pied a terre, based on a non-NL income.

Well that's great up to the next hurdle: finding an house or appartment. Do you still have family in the Netherlands to help you look at houses and actually do the bidding on them for you?

You are going to need someone to help you guys here in the Netherlands otherwise it will be very tough.

Again good luck!

Ramses K. wrote:
hupsakee wrote:

Well that's great up to the next hurdle: finding an house or appartment. Do you still have family in the Netherlands to help you look at houses and actually do the bidding on them for you?

You are going to need someone to help you guys here in the Netherlands otherwise it will be very tough.

Again good luck!

That's indeed the reason I put this on hold, although I do know of people who succeeded in purchasing fully remotely. Technically it's possible, but best to have some help locally

Apologies for the delayed response. Thanks very much for all the comments and suggestions! They're very helpful. I'll get in touch with ABN Amro and post updates of my experience.