Where to move in Costa Rica

Hi - I am thinking about visiting Costa Rica and traveling around for a while while looking for regions to settle down in. I am 50 years old and would like to bring a little dog. Do you have any suggestions of regions I should visit, length of time I should stay, clean, pretty and reasonably priced places to stay ? Will traveling around with a dog under 10 pounds be a problem ? Any other helpful advice would be mush appreciated.

Hello,  I see no one responded to you yet. Unfortunately I won't be much help as I live in Minnesota but I am also thinking about looking for a place to settle down in. I am planning to visit Dominical, Grecia and Samara recommended me as places with a good number of expats in January. I would appreciate if you could let me know if there are forums to virtually meet expats at.

Taking a dog on public transport is a 'no no' so be prepared to try  find a taxi that will accept one  or leave your pup in the hotel room.
Your choices are popular areas, but I can't recommend a place I haven't lived in, but It is more expensive to live on the coast.

Check out Facebook pages for the areas you are interested in.

If you haven't already read up on the 'rules & regs' of living here, I suggest you check out the costaricalaw website

For some reason, I couldn't edit my response but of course you could ask about renting a vehicle that accepts pets.

It seems that the east coast is probably one of the more inexpensive places to settle down, Guanacaste more expensive and touristy...it really depends on what kind of "life" your settle down looks like.  Traveling around is super smart.  You will have more "opportunity" to explore and learn without the puppy but I've met many people that have pets and brought them from the US.  The whole country is beautiful and diverse so you will find your place.  I agree, get on social media pages of the areas and follow the threads.  You learn a lot from them.  PURA VIDA!