Annex 49 and employment

Dear friends,

My friend and colleague just moved to Gent, Belgium via single job permit. After arrival he went to the city hall with my job permit and passport and they gave him annex 49. He opened a bank account and was going to work, but the employer says that he can't start working until he gets his id card which can happen in few weeks only because first he should wait for local police to check that he resides at his address, and then only they will start creating my id card.

He has rijksregister number already and normally he should be able to start working. One year ago it wasn't a problem for me to be employed with annex 49.

My question is - where can I get the information if rijksregister number is enough to be employed or no?

I will be very grateful for any information!

As he came in Belgium through a single permit, he doesn't need the register number or the id card to start working...
It's ok to start working as long as the period written in the single permit allow it.

The only thing that the employer might ask is the register number & the bank account number for the salary... So, no, I don't see any reason why the employer request him to get his id card before starting working... :huh:

I totally agree! Thank you! Can't imagine what's wrong there, it's not our job of course to find out how to employ an employee but my friend wants to start working asap, was waiting already too much while corona was holding him from the moving.

Hi dear,

I was getting some information about the changes in the annex 49 and the rules for a renewing process with another company, and I ended up reading your question. The new rule, in place since January 2019, says that the annex 49 grants temporary permission to start working after arrival and registration at the city hall.

Check the links:
- https://www.agii.be/nieuws/nieuwe-regel … -3-01-2019
- https://www.avocat-halabi.com/en/2019/0 … rk-permit/

lumozoid wrote:

Dear friends,

My friend and colleague just moved to Gent, Belgium via single job permit. After arrival he went to the city hall with my job permit and passport and they gave him annex 49. He opened a bank account and was going to work, but the employer says that he can't start working until he gets his id card which can happen in few weeks only because first he should wait for local police to check that he resides at his address, and then only they will start creating my id card.

He has rijksregister number already and normally he should be able to start working. One year ago it wasn't a problem for me to be employed with annex 49.

My question is - where can I get the information if rijksregister number is enough to be employed or no?

I will be very grateful for any information!

The company may also have their own policy. Technically, he can start working with temporary annex49 but the company can also add a policy that employees should obtain the ID card before they can start work officially (same as mine). 
Maybe for other companies, they dont mind the temporary one.