Moving to Amsterdam Tips and Advices

Hello Everyone !

I have decided to move back to Europe from Australia to be closer to my family in France.
I have set my heart to Amsterdam.
I will be moving there between January and March 2021.

I have started activating my professional network and I am now seeking any tips, recommendations and advices regarding the life in Amsterdam.
I have started looking into the tax process, and would love to know if the expat benefit will still be available in 2021 ?
Also, regarding rental, what is the process, what is the usual cost per m2 in Amsterdam? Which neighborhoods would you recommend for living ?
Regarding health and retirement, would I need a private health insurance ?
Any other tips and advices regarding life in Amsterdam are welcome :)
Thank you in advance !!

Marlene

Hello,

You are in the francophone forum. Thanks to go to the English language forum ;)

Renting: 800-900€ min 2 rooms. One room flats are very rare (600-700€). A lot of people are in flatshare :) Min salary 1650€

Hello everyone,

@Marlene Brangetto, please note that your post is now on the anglophone version of the Amsterdam forum:top:

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

Hi Marlene and welcome to the Forum.

As an EU passport holder, you have the right to live and work anywhere in the EU, that includes the Netherlands, so no problem in applying for residence permits and work visas.

You haven't told us what you do, but the Dutch are very big in qualifications and relevant experience.  If you work in any regulatory role, you will need to be able to speak, read, write in Dutch to a high level.  If you have qualifications, check to make sure they are recognised in the Netherlands, if they're not, find out what you need to do so they are.

If you have no qualifications and are just looking for "work", then it's harder, mainly because of COVID and the effect that's had on the Dutch job market; many people are looking for work.

At the top of this page is a link to our Discover section, if you mouse over that, you'll get access to our Discover Amsterdam guide; if you open that, then read it and any links it provides, it may answer many questions you may have.

If you have any specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team