Motorbike License (Refreshing the thread of 2012)

If you have a car licence convert it to VN car licence then you can go take the test as the have ditched the computer part now if you have a car licence.

Need more info PM me

bddk1337 wrote:

Hello,

has there been any update on obtaining a A2 license as a foreigner if you dont have a motorcycle license from our home country (in my case, the USA)

Any help is much appreciated!

My helpful suggestion:

Read ALL the posts in this thread before asking your question.

The answer you are seeking is there (here)

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

The answer ...  is there (here)

and everywhere.

There have been some expats with a different experience, being able to do the A2 license without having to pass theory test. Information is a bit confusing and not consistent. I will try to find a testing site in province, go with a local and just ask to take the practical test. With some luck they will agree seeing I have car and A1. Has worked for some in the past, might work for me too. Who knows

bddk1337 wrote:

Hello,

has there been any update on obtaining a A2 license as a foreigner if you dont have a motorcycle license from our home country (in my case, the USA)

Any help is much appreciated!

I don't know the details becuase I had bike license in US so my A2 was a "paperwork only" thing but I do know that the "expat friendly" large motorbike shops have a way to do this for a few million.  Shops like Tigit Motorbikes.  There are more but that one is an option.  I don't know if they only help people that by larger bikes from them or if they help anyone that comes along.  Sorry it's not better information but it is all I know.

I got my A1 license in 2019 in district 10 (I think) Saigon. There is a guy who takes care of everything for you. You have to take the driving part which is an obstacle course and a figure 8. The motorbikes they provide for the test are old and manual and heavy to operate and shake when you give the gas. They are purposely designed to be a bit difficult to drive. You are only allowed to go outside the figure 8 I believe up to 4 times and after 4 times it's a fail. The guy I set this up with is a Vietnamese local in Saigon who speaks very good English.

The only thing is that I had to have a Visa in my passport that was for longer than 3 months. My Visa at that time was for 1 year multi entry and I'm from the USA. My wife in Vietnam couldn't believe that I was able to obtain a drivers license until she saw it herself. It never expires

I'm good to drive any motorbike in Vietnam but need to have the proper insurance paperwork as well. It is possible to get. DM if you want more info

Also forgot to mention that I think the cost to me was 2.6 million vnd but was worth it. His class fills up quick and he only takes about 7 or 8 students at a time so I had to wait about 3 weeks for the next class....practice at the driving license place on Wednesday night and Thursday night and test the following Saturday...then took about 3 weeks to deliver the drivers license to me...if you are looking for a quick way to get your drivers license there, you can forget it..nothing ever gets done in an expeditious fashion in Vietnam =) so you will have to be a little patient

Thats awesome man. Any details on that guy? Or his learning school?

Sent you a DM

Hello,

Yes i forgot to mention the part of where my research last ended.

It seems like if you ONLY have a car license from the USA(or some other countries?) then getting an A1 via an agent (a few reputable ones mentioned everywhere) is a breeze, where as for A2, is either next to impossible or even easier depending on-

Do you currently have a motorcycle license/endorsement from your home country (I believe USA is a binary have or don't have, but maybe for Europe there are a couple of different class of license?)

I've contacted most of the famous “agents” and they all gave me the same answer :/. I do have one last lead, it's a bit off the beaten path and claims they could help me. I'll keep this thread updated. Thanks

Where do I go to transfer my foreign motorbike license to the VN local one? Several of you posted that they did it, but without saying exactly where to go (I believe). Is it any police station (probably not)? The traffic central headquarter or something? I am in HCMC in D7 btw...but I dont mind going wherever it needs to be to get it done. I dont want to use an agent, want to collect my own experience.
Thxs for any quick heads-up.

This link tells you how and where.

License

Step by step instructions in this thread.

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=837566

danrodri wrote:

Where do I go to transfer my foreign motorbike license to the VN local one? Several of you posted that they did it, but without saying exactly where to go (I believe). Is it any police station (probably not)? The traffic central headquarter or something? I am in HCMC in D7 btw...but I dont mind going wherever it needs to be to get it done. I dont want to use an agent, want to collect my own experience.
Thxs for any quick heads-up.

I did it 3 weeks back & this is the deal.

The office is at 252 Ly Chin Thang, Ward 9 District 3 HCMC..........its up an alley at the end LH side is office, RH side is parking.

You will need to dress not formally but no sleeveless T shirt & no shorts, long jeans are ok.

You will need to provide proof of address in Vietnam, Passport, TRC (in my case) your Home Country Driving License.
You could be in there up to 1 hour, hand in your documents, you will get photo taken, given back your PP & TRC, given a receipt & told to come back in a week to 10 days.

For your information I used an agent because I dont like hassle & the less time filling in forms, sitting in crowded offices with the possibility of having done some form wrong & back to the drawing board just dont cut it with me these days, after 14 years here the adventure bit has worn a bit thin. The agents fee cost me 1,500,000 VND & all I had to do was sign a couple of forms, get the photo taken. All the form filling in, contact with the desk at the place etc was done by the agent. I was in & out in all of 5 minutes & back on my bike & off for another adventure.

You will see some posts on here & You Tube about some people (especially Americans) who have got the A2 license here without any problem, just walk in & walk out with one!:/  but I can tell you right now, I have a full UK all categories MB license & cant get the A2 here without doing the practical test & that's a fact!!  Mind you as we know, anything can be done here if you use the right approach I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MjGKSQMN08&t=177shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSB8cY7J-So&t=66shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjaGMbYK2TA

Is it correct you did not need to bring passport photos yourself? Also, did you get the same expire date as in your original foreign driving license or just the expire from your residency permit in Vietnam?

Actually, I'm doing it now. Will update as soon as I have it.

danrodri wrote:

Is it correct you did not need to bring passport photos yourself? Also, did you get the same expire date as in your original foreign driving license or just the expire from your residency permit in Vietnam?

It goes on which expires first.

colinoscapee wrote:
danrodri wrote:

Not always, if you read the posts some of us got the unlimited expiry date as in the driving license. Some a year-by-year one. I'm wondering what is the "trick" to make them put the same date as the original. Because I dont want coming back every Christmas :)

danrodri wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
danrodri wrote:

Not always, if you read the posts some of us got the unlimited expiry date as in the driving license. Some a year-by-year one. I'm wondering what is the "trick" to make them put the same date as the original. Because I dont want coming back every Christmas :)

If you don't have a bike licence and do the test here you get an unlimited A1 VN licence, if you convert your licence to VN you get a licence that expires same time as your docs (which ever ends first).

To convert your licence to a VN without an agent is easy cost is fee for notary for copy/sign passport & translate your licence around 100k. cost for VN licence application is 135k takes around 8-10 days.

You need:-
One copy of your passport with the photo page and the visa page (both visa and passport need to be valid with 6 months or more).
+ One copy of your existing driver license, with a translated and notarized version (by a public notary place)
+ Filled in application form (download driver license application form for foreigners)
(https://www.vietnam-immigration.org.vn/ … icense.doc)  if mods don't post link, google "Application-form-for-Vietnam-driving-license.doc on google search look for "Necessary documents to apply Vietnamese Driver License"

Done at the Department of Transport (License Conversion) 252 Lý Chính Thắng, Phường 9, Quận 3, Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh, Vietnam

Just take your docs to any local notary place type notary in google maps for your nearest,,, show them docs and mime, ask, google translate copy,, also google translate "please translate to Viet" or take a VN speaker if you have. they may ask you to come back for the translation, pay the fee.

It's very easy once you have your docs,, walk in to Dept transport go to counter put doc's in the in tray at counter, sit wait for your name,,, pay fee, sit wait again until your name, step up and have photo taken, get receipt with date to come back,,, come back pick up your licence.

The above is valid for bike licence convert or car convert to VN licence, there are multiple threads saying how & where to get test done so I will not mention that part.

Andybris2020 wrote:
danrodri wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

If you don't have a bike licence and do the test here you get an unlimited A1 VN licence, if you convert your licence to VN you get a licence that expires same time as your docs (which ever ends first).

To convert your licence to a VN without an agent is easy cost is fee for notary for copy/sign passport & translate your licence around 100k. cost for VN licence application is 135k takes around 8-10 days.

One copy of your passport with the photo page and the visa page (both visa and passport need to be valid with 6 months or more).
+ One copy of your existing driver license, with a translated and notarized version (by a public notary place)
+ Filled in application form (download driver license application form for foreigners)
(https://www.vietnam-immigration.org.vn/ … icense.doc)  if mods don't post link, google "Application-form-for-Vietnam-driving-license.doc on google search look for "Necessary documents to apply Vietnamese Driver License"

Done at the Department of Transport (License Conversion) 252 Lý Chính Thắng, Phường 9, Quận 3, Thành phố Hồ Chí Minh, Vietnam

Just take your docs to any local notary place type notary in google maps for your nearest,,, show them docs and mime, ask, google translate copy,, also google translate "please translate to Viet" or take a VN speaker if you have. they may ask you to come back for the translation, pay the fee.

It's very easy once you have your docs,, walk in to Dept transport go to counter put doc's in the in tray at counter, sit wait for your name,,, pay fee, sit wait again until your name, step up and have photo taken, get receipt with date to come back,,, come back pick up your licence.

The above is valid for bike licence convert or car convert to VN licence, there are multiple threads saying how & where to get test done so I will not mention that part.

Quite accurate info from Andy. Just two notes: you need all the copies twice. So, 2x notarized translation of driving license and so on.
Also, still, if you read previous posts, some did transfer their foreign driving license and got the indefinite expiry date. Possibly they are more strict now, I hope not. I will be going this afternoon and will let you know what happens.
Regards

danrodri wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
danrodri wrote:

You didnt state whether you were doing the full driving test or just getting a license in line with an existing overseas license. The law stated that a VN license would be good for the term of your visa, maybe it has changed again.

colinoscapee wrote:
danrodri wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

You didnt state whether you were doing the full driving test or just getting a license in line with an existing overseas license. The law stated that a VN license would be good for the term of your visa, maybe it has changed again.

My UK license expires ...08.11.2023
My VN license expires ...30.10.2022
My TRC expires ..............30.10.2022

goodolboy wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
danrodri wrote:

My UK license expires ...08.11.2023
My VN license expires ...30.10.2022
My TRC expires ..............30.10.2022

Makes sense as you have to go back and get another sooner,,,

danrodri wrote:
Andybris2020 wrote:
danrodri wrote:

Quite accurate info from Andy. Just two notes: you need all the copies twice. So, 2x notarized translation of driving license and so on.
Also, still, if you read previous posts, some did transfer their foreign driving license and got the indefinite expiry date. Possibly they are more strict now, I hope not. I will be going this afternoon and will let you know what happens.
Regards

Opps yep 2 copies,, (I copy/pasted from site I forgot they need 2 - next door to dept is a cafe that has a photocopier BTW)

Hi, I just went now. So, this is how it worked (a bit a repetition from previous but maybe with the advantage that its news from today)

1. Get two official translations of your driving license into vietnamese language. (can be done at Pasteur where the cathedral is...there are some translation offices). Can be done in the day or next day depending on which language. Charged me 200.000 for the two translation at 95 Pasteur, name Khai. 
2. Make 2 photocopies of passport info page and visa page. AND 2 photocopies of residency if you have
3. Go to 252 Ly Chin Thang, Ward 9 District 3 HCMC..........its up an alley at the end LH side is office (Note: they close from 11:10 until 13:00ish).
4. Fill out form that is available at the counter (has english translation)
5. Go to the lady at the top left. drop your docs in the basket and stand there until she sees you (the vietnamese will try to cut thru....try to stand your ground). Give her the 135.000.
6. Wait and they call you for taking picture. Then you are good to leave.
7. I did it today and should receive it on the 30th Dec. (6 working days)

No pictures needed. No confirmation of your residency needed. Expiry: yes, they do align it to the visa expiry :(

Btw...this is only part of my first adventure. Having the local permit, I will go to the countryside (maybe Mekong) and try to do the A2 skipping the theory. Hopefully it works. As they issue a new license for me, hopefully, I will try to kindly ask them to give me no expiry date on the other items in alignment with my foreign permit. Lets see if they kindly do it for me....I heard the countryside ppl are sometimes a bit more relaxed. Ill keep you updated.

My first driver's icense expired with my Visa.  My renewal expires with my VEC so at least I have five years on this driver's license.

Pleasant surprise this morning. I went to the office, where I supposedly would pick up my VN driving license on the 30th. I went in 07:35 and went out 07:37 with my driving licence in the hand. Cool! Well done, VN gov! Now will be heading to Mekong to rent a big bike for practice from a driving school and talk to the guy see how I can get A2 done.

PS: A local taxi driver who seemed to know his way around told me that if you have A1 and B1 (my case) no need to do the theory again for the A2. You are supposed to know that red means stop and green means go ;)

danrodri wrote:

Pleasant surprise this morning. I went to the office, where I supposedly would pick up my VN driving license on the 30th. I went in 07:35 and went out 07:37 with my driving licence in the hand. Cool! Well done, VN gov! Now will be heading to Mekong to rent a big bike for practice from a driving school and talk to the guy see how I can get A2 done.

PS: A local taxi driver who seemed to know his way around told me that if you have A1 and B1 (my case) no need to do the theory again for the A2. You are supposed to know that red means stop and green means go ;)

you need to read the previous posts clearly. That has already been stated, more than once.

Am i missing something?

B1= a car drivers license which you can simply convert from your home country.

A1= A under 175cc motorbike license, which as a foreigner you can get if you convert your car license from the US WITHOUT having a motorcycle license from back home or NOT needing to take the theory test in Vietnamese.

So if this is these two statements are true, then why is it that the general consensus is

-if you don't have a motorcycle license from home country OR cannot read vietnamese to pass the theory, as a foreigner, you basically cannot get an A2 license

Statement 2 is new to me. You get A1 as a gift, if you convert B1? I don't think this is true. Anyone else? Anyhow, there are different views on the necessity to take or not take the theory test to do A2 if you have B1 and A1. My taxidriver said no need. But I will probably know more this weekend when I talk to the instructor.

PS: a colleague just showed me his lifetime VN license he got when he transferred A1....lucky guy! he did it like 5 years ago. So, before the gov did that, now not anymore. So sad.

for some reason i can't pm you donrodri. could you pm me?

bddk1337 wrote:

for some reason i can't pm you donrodri. could you pm me?

I tried PM'ing someone this afternoon, error came up:

This page isn't workingwww.expat.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

I contacted expat.com support via the webform to report it this afternoon (Vietnam time). I'd be surprised if it's fixed before Monday.

ahh ok thanks. would be a little awkward to post our contact info on a public forum :(

To update you guys on my odyssey to the A2 license which I want to take here in Vietnam: I contacted "our" bike shop owner Trev. He informed me that the test bike of A2 used here in Vietnam is a Honda CB250 manual/gears. He suggested to ride a Honda XR150 to get used to the handling of the test bike. Obviously less cc, but should do the trick. I'm planning on renting this one from Trev starting this week for a month and after that head to the trainings site in Can Tho (only place they do exam on A2 in Mekong!). Why Can Tho? As I mentioned earlier, my understanding is that the countryside examiners are a bit more relaxed than the Saigon ones. True? No idea...but I'll try.

the biggest hurdle is the written test.... it's more like a language test for us...