How to get a motorbike license?

Hello to all members who read this,

Cab driving is more expensive and takes more time, thats why I need a motorbike license asap!

I already checked all possible ways to get one, unfortunately its not allowed to have a translator in the theoratical test because of cheating (the test includes 120 questions not translated into english). Is it possible to pay for the license instead of learning vietnamese perfectly to take the test, If yes? pls let me know asap!

Cheers to the members,

Doda23

I just googled your problem by Vietnamese and I got an answer that: you can bring your motorbike license from your country and exchange to a Vietnam license.

hej ! i went with my British friend to a practical driving test in Tan Phu Dist last May. here's the link http://motorcyclelicencevietnam.com/for … n-saigon/. i went to help cuz i thought that he would have to pass a theoretic test like our local do but he said no need. he just needed to pass the practical test to get a license after a week later. u dont need to bring ur own bike cuz they will set up bikes for the test, only bring ur passport and a test registered paper and maybe the license from ur country (i couldn't recall about this one). He practiced around the Number 8 round but he failed once when he was in the test. So i had to convince a girl in the jury to give him one more shot 15' later. he finally passed (i had to yell out "turn right,turn right" out side lol). wish you luck !

nexus_cph wrote:

hej ! i went with my British friend to a practical driving test in Tan Phu Dist last May. here's the link http://motorcyclelicencevietnam.com/for … n-saigon/. i went to help cuz i thought that he would have to pass a theoretic test like our local do but he said no need. he just needed to pass the practical test to get a license after a week later. u dont need to bring ur own bike cuz they will set up bikes for the test, only bring ur passport and a test registered paper and maybe the license from ur country (i couldn't recall about this one). He practiced around the Number 8 round but he failed once when he was in the test. So i had to convince a girl in the jury to give him one more shot 15' later. he finally passed (i had to yell out "turn right,turn right" out side lol). wish you luck !

What a hoot!

Guess the Tan Phu District office will be swamped with Foreigners. Is it the HCMC district or the one in Dong Nai?

Note that Foreigners with home licences don't have to do the theory.

When I took the theory I knew little Vietnamese, so I went to the special preparation classes on the weekend and then sat the test.

Failed four times, the examiners knew me by name. What they didn't know was that I was surreptitiously recording the examinations and with a VN friend we analyzed the test and the training book words and developed a list of key words.

Using only the grouped key words and ignoring the verbiage I managed to pass. No bribes, either.

Now, all you need to know is a CGST guy who can get you a licence, registered on the main computer, for a few tens of dollars!

it's in HCMC Jaitch ! i didn't even know that place so we took cab there (i guess it's about 6km from the airport). yes, Foreigners with home licences don't have to do the theory. anyway, i just used my word to convince the girl, no bribes :)

nexus_cph wrote:

it's in HCMC Jaitch ! i didn't even know that place so we took cab there (i guess it's about 6km from the airport). yes, Foreigners with home licences don't have to do the theory. anyway, i just used my word to convince the girl, no bribes :)

Thanks, Nexus, so many distrivts have the same name.

If you use a foreign licence to get a VN licence, it has limited duration and limited engine size.

If you take the theory AND the figure 8's you get a life licence AND you can ride any engine size machine.

Thanks, but i forgot to add that I am in HCMC without an own home country license that normally means no vietnam liecense without theoratical test,and i cant take the test without speaking vietnamese fluently...... There must be a way around it thank you guys anyway............

So what happens if you stopped by the police and you don't have a licence? I rode a Honda win from Hanoi to saigon, 3300km in all! I went to the mountains north west of Hanoi first, a place called Sapa, simply amazing! I got stopped once but they just smiled and waved me on when they realized I was a foreigner, but I believe it's different in the south? Or so I've heard? Can anyone tell me what would happen?

Jed

jedimac wrote:

So what happens if you stopped by the police and you don't have a licence? I rode a Honda win from Hanoi to saigon, 3300km in all! I went to the mountains north west of Hanoi first, a place called Sapa, simply amazing! I got stopped once but they just smiled and waved me on when they realized I was a foreigner, but I believe it's different in the south? Or so I've heard? Can anyone tell me what would happen?

Jed

it's a good question. My be is, you not really want to find out.

Some month ago in one of the Vietnamese newspapers , there was a story about a Russian (?) guy, been stopped by an accident. He killed somebody

If I remember right, they send him home,........... after:

- being in VN Jail for quite some while
- a huge payment from his family
- a embassy secured payment on a monthly basis + a one off
all figures together where in huge numbers

* as side note: quite often is to read, that a death here in Vietnam with about 2 mio VND settled.

Doda23 wrote:

Thanks, but i forgot to add that I am in HCMC without an own home country license that normally means no vietnam liecense without theoratical test,and i cant take the test without speaking vietnamese fluently...... There must be a way around it thank you guys anyway............

I didn't know a lot of VN driving terms when I took my test.

Ran the Driving Manual (booklet from Fahasar) through a language analysis program, listed out key words, learned what they meant and took the written test a couple of times and passed.

Judging by the way Vietnamese drive after allegedly getting a licence says a lot about the quality of the test!

Don't forget, actually taking the test means you can actually drive a hawg whereas trading means you are limited to 175cc.

See: < http://sgtvt.hochiminhcity.gov.vn/web/d … /case1.htm >

jedimac wrote:

Jed

If you do not have a license, the police (Cong An) can take your motorbike and throw it on their truck. If you ever drive in the South region, you will find police on the side of the road with trucks next to them. In order to get your motorbike back, you would have to pay the fine. I've "heard" it could be around 700,000 VND or more.

Hello guys,

If your infractions are minor, knowing that you are a foreigner, the traffic cops will let you go free here as well.  But, if you ride like a maniac or being as ass about things, they can take you back to the station for clarification.  At the end of which, if you don't have a Vietnamese motorbike license, they will issue you a ticket and impound your bike for 30 days.  So be nice and gentle guys.

In the event of minor accidents, and you don't have the proper license, be cool and work out a settlement with the involving party.  Don't drag the traffic police into it.  Then, it will be a big old mess.  Therefore, work on your Vietnamese and negotiation techniques.

Major accidents?  Without proper documents?  God forbid...  You will be in deep shit.  But again, your attitude will be taken into account when the punishment or fine is considered.  In Vietnam, the lady of the law is not blindfolded; she sees your expressions...

Doda23, if you are going to be here for awhile and going through the Vietnamese riding test is such a challenge to you, have people send you your license from home.  That process is much much easier.  Whatever you decide, don't ever get into buying those unofficial licenses, my friend!!!  They can hurt more than they can help.

Howie

Phi Long wrote:
jedimac wrote:

Jed

If you do not have a license, the police (Cong An) can take your motorbike and throw it on their truck. If you ever drive in the South region, you will find police on the side of the road with trucks next to them. In order to get your motorbike back, you would have to pay the fine. I've "heard" it could be around 700,000 VND or more.

Hey Phi long

I liv here 5 years around 53 times police stop me and pay 100 ngan VND or 50 Ngan VND. since they stop me just keep silent to them, no talking anything,show pasport and identity bike card is enough for them. from HCM to Bien Hoa and Binh Duong, Vun tau.. also same..never pay more then 100 Ngan..I use Air blade...for ~125cc bike any license or not for me is same.

Thanks guys,

That's what I thought! So I should always have 50,000 on me, just in case I get stopped!

*smiles*

Jaitch wrote:
nexus_cph wrote:

Thanks, Nexus, so many distrivts have the same name.

If you use a foreign licence to get a VN licence, it has limited duration and limited engine size.

If you take the theory AND the figure 8's you get a life licence AND you can ride any engine size machine.

1) you can get licence by paying money under table, lots of vietnamese girl do this way.

2) even when you get licence (what we mention here is A1 license), you are allowed only use engine smaller than 175cc. bigger than 175cc you need A2 licence which contain very hard conditions even for vietnamese

3) tips: since you are a foreigner, police rarely check you unless you pass red light or racing, because of language difference. if they do, money can solve your problem :D

Hi,

There's no harm in getting a VN license, but if you live in Saigon, you practically don't need a license.  As a foreigner, most cops don't want to speak with you since they most likely speak no English, so pulling you over would be pointless.  Unless you are (as previously noted), speeding wrecklessly, starting an altercation, or something more severe.  Traffic here (if you don't know already) is a free-for-all, and a license isn't needed to ride your bike since people always drive on the sidewalk, drive down the wrong way of the road, and countless other things.  Maybe technically it is, but I don't know any expat who has his or her license.  All in all, I'd say, it's good to have, but don't stress over getting it.

SaigonTed says "it's good to have, but don't stress over getting it" 

Na don't stress over it, till you hit a little old lady crossing the street, and she has some serious injuries, then you'll find out how many cops can speak English real quick. No licence? No insurance. Na, don't sweat it.

Budman1 wrote:

SaigonTed says "it's good to have, but don't stress over getting it" 

Na don't stress over it, till you hit a little old lady crossing the street, and she has some serious injuries, then you'll find out how many cops can speak English real quick. No licence? No insurance. Na, don't sweat it.

No problem, they will lock Ted up until he comes up with the cash.

One problem with having your wheels impounded. If you have fancy accessories they might not be there when you pick it up. Go back ASAP and take pictures of your bike, the cops will always hover around so get them, too, discretely, so when you get it back you have proof how itwas when they nicked it.

Budman1 wrote:

you'll find out how many cops can speak English real quick

I have been speaking to a group of Vietnamese college students here, just giving them a chance to practice their English; and I have been pleasantly surprised my their level of understanding.  I mean Vietnamese didn't really start to learn English until about 15 years ago... 

But, most definitely, never take these people lightly.  Getting caught riding without a license here is one of the worst things that a foreigner can do to him/herself and his/her embassy.

Howie

In many Western countries I have been in driving theory is taken on computer terminals with a free choice of language.

It's a pity that the Transport Ministry didn't get out of the language training business. People will use their mother tongue when driving, so what, really, does testing in Vietnamese do?

Sure they have a few weird signs and road markings, many of which I have never seen in all my travels in this country, but our process will not say that's a Cau, then translate it into bridge.

If the Transport Ministry made the smallest effort there would be 100% compliance. Using bilingual screens would make it no more harder for the examiner, especially since they use multiple choice.

Of course the elimination of all the bribery and corruption surrounding licences would significantly reduce police income.

I have ridden motor cycles all my life, I have a VN license up to 175cc as that is all that is allowed. I do not ride a motor cycle in VN as it is too dangerous, trust me given time you will have a accident. If you have the money get a car and driver. If any expat tells you you are better off riding a motor cycle as it is faster, and better for the environment do not believe them as the real reason they say that is they can not afford a car. I have seen a few foreigners riding their motor cycles with a video cameras attached to their helmets, they are just scared to death of being held liable "when" they have an accident. Think about that, yes you will,and you might even be maimed or worse.

If you really have to ride a motor bike, you need to understand the traffic rules. Study that. The VN people are IMHO the best motor cyclists in the world. Good luck you will need it.

I have a drivers license from my home country and not a motorcycle license. Would I be able to just take the practical test and get a motorcycle license in Saigon?

wrightEd wrote:

I have a drivers license from my home country and not a motorcycle license. Would I be able to just take the practical test and get a motorcycle license in Saigon?

No, you will receive a license for a car only, not a motorbike. I think though you can ride one if it is under 50cc.

You need to have held a motorcycle license from your home country. Trust me even if you could write, read and speak VN you would not want to sit for a car license now, 405 questions! They are making it very hard to drive a car in VN.

Thanks for the reply Vietaust. I will not be in Saigon for another couple of months so I'll try and get one before I leave the U.S.

WrightEd,

Three years ago, I presented the licensing authorities in Can Tho a translated portion of the California motor vehicle codes, which contained the part where for motorcycles 250cc and below, we needed no license to operate.  I also asked them that if I were to provide them with a California motorcycle license, were they going to be able to give me the Vietnamese equivalent, which is an A-2 license?

The authorities had their meeting, decided to give me an A-1 license along with a B-1 (for passenger vehicles) for my California Class C driver license, and I have been riding and driving ever since.  I had just renewed them for 10 years.

It all depends on who you deal with and the type of approach you take in getting what you want done done here.

Good lucks,
Howie

There is no straight answer in town when it comes to getting motorbike licenses.  I believe all these different comments from folks are true.  It's mostly about who can pull what strings.  5 years ago, my driver did all the paper work and procedures so I don't have a clue what the details are.  I never had to take any theory test.  I only needed to present my temporary residency permit.  Here is a funny but true story folks, on the day of my road test, my driver took me to Hoc Mon District in the western part of HCMC.  This place was just an open space with light reddish beige dirt surface with a hand painted 8 shape in around 15 meters in length.  There were about 4 or 5 other local VNs taking the test also.  The funny part is that the whole test was administered by a kid that looks like 11 or 12 years old wearing a dirty hat and dirty shirt with split toe sandles.  During the test, the area was surrounded by other kids (from 8 to teens), which I assumed neighborhood kids.  What's outrageously funny was that the kid in charge, told me in Vietnamese "Don't worry Uncle, you will pass even if you fall off the bike".  I did well on the test anyway, because I rode on 2nd gear of the Honda Dream 2 (100cc) and slowly going about the 8 shape without a problem.  Here is the best part . . . When the test was over, An adult looked around 50ish in office attire, slowly walked over and was busy talking on his cell phone with his right hand and carrying a brief case on his left hand.  I looked at my driver and he said to head back to the office.  In the car, I learnt that my driver paid 200,000 VND to the kid at the test site. 
Taking out all the confusion from this, it's easier to have a local to communicate and handle procedures.  It would be much more difficult if you try to handle things on your own especially if you are new in town.  The rules are in the books, but it's practiced differently depending on who's in charge for the day.

Docwood wrote:

it's easier to have a local to communicate and handle procedures.  It's would be much difficult if you try to handle things on your own especially if you are new in town.  The rules are in the books, but it's practiced differently depending on who's in charge for the day.

Kudos to the man who has this maze figured out.  :cheers:

Howie wrote . . .
Major accidents?  Without proper documents?  God forbid...  You will be in (moderated).  But again, your attitude will be taken into account when the punishment or fine is considered.  In Vietnam, the lady of the law is not blindfolded; she sees your expressions...

Howie is absolutely right.  If you get pulled over, the key is to stay humble and play dumb if you can.  The smarter you are the more trouble you will get.  To reduce your risk of major accidents, just go slow and enjoy the ride.  I only ride at night in HCMC because the traffic is much better and the air is not too hot.  I went with a local (brother of a woman who works in the sales department of my office), to Vung Tau for the weekend last year.  I rented out a Yamaha Noveau motorbike by asking a hotel clerk for it and she called someone to bring it in 10 minutes.  I took the back seat most of the time without a problem.  But as soon as I took the driver seat going slowly and enjoying the cool breeze, the pink uniform guys swoop by from no where and pull me over.  My guide immediately said to let him handle it and don't give them anything.  It turned out that they confiscated the motorbike registration taken from under seat compartment and left.  We went over to see the bike owner near by the market, and told him what happened.  He just LOL and said: "Don't worry, but just add 100,000 to your rental cost to take care of this and go on to enjoy the rest of your trip".  Different localities are probably different.  I wouldn't ride in HCMC during the day because the traffic is chaotic.  I found the lowest cost to get around is first take the bus to nearby where you want to go then either walk or wave down a taxi to get there before the meter starts running.

I have just signed up for a motorcycle course here in VA. I need to take one anyways and at the end of it I while have a motorcycle license from VA. I am planning on doing some traveling around Vietnam as well as commuting to where I would work so I figured a motorbike would be the way to go. Hopefully I'll get lucky and it will not be too much of a hassle to get a license once I get there. It seems like bribes are the way to go, I don't have a lot of experience in this area but I am open to learning.

Vietaust wrote . . .
If you really have to ride a motor bike, you need to understand the traffic rules. Study that. The VN people are IMHO the best motor cyclists in the world. Good luck you will need it.

Wow, the best motor cyclists in the world??  Well I guess in true Communist utopia . . .  absolutely YES . . .  Because each person on the road expects to be cared from everyone else.  It's good to read the rules to be aware of what they are supposed to apply.  But the crowd seems to have their own rules, like you only look ahead and don't look back or side views and keep going even the light is red if there is no cops at the corners, because, if you don't keep going people behind you think you are the problem.  You will see the facial expressions when people pass you from behind and look back seeing you as being weird.  If you are not going fast enough with the flow of traffic, you are viewed as blocking their way.  I have a big laugh when I read some lonely planet articles about how to handle crossing the streets by keep walking and don't step back or stop.  Because if you step back or stop in the middle of the road, you get hit.  The whole traffic factors in pedestrians crossing the road by keep walking forward.  This is another true communist utopia that everyone expects to be cared for by everyone else.  I have seen accidents often happened when riders turn without looking back and blame the one behind who collided.  A few years ago, I was walking on the side walk to the bus stop on Tay Thanh Street in Tan Binh Industrial park.  In the evening, this street is not crowded at all.  I witnessed an accident right in front of me to the left, where a guy riding a bicycle close to the curve on the right, was hit by the taxi that just pulled up to a waving customer.  The taxi driver came out and said he did not see the bicycle in the mirror and therefore it's not his fault.  Remember that their rules are to look forward and not look back.  One time I came close to an accident on Ly Thuong Kiet Street riding my motorbike, because the taxi driver cut me off by pulling over without looking back.  I broke just in time.
So it's good to learn the rules, but one needs to learn the practical rules on the road in HCMC also.  I always look around and look back when making turns.  But beware of too many of those who don't look back and side ways.  I stopped at red lights too regardless of what corners and who is laughing.:)

Ed Wright,
Bribe is an ugly word in VN and should never be used.  We set aside some tea money or coffee money for practical purposes.

Hey Doda23,
the other option for you is to rent a bike for longer term.  The cost is around $80 to $130 per month depending on the brand and age.  The guys in the bike rental business seem to have known some body and get used to handling regular issues.  You can always discuss contingencies about impounding bikes or some other possible events before hand just to be sure there is a mutual understanding.  Also the traffic cops seem to have a way to recognize by the license plate that the bike is a rental.

Case No.1 : For holders of international or national driver's license eligible of operating both automobiles and motorcycles...

Continued

Case No.2 : For holders of international or national driver's license eligible of operating automobiles only...

Continued

Case No.3 : For foreigners who do not have a driver's license of any kind...

Continued

docwood wrote:

Hey Doda23,
the other option for you is to rent a bike for longer term.  The cost is around $80 to $130 per month depending on the brand and age.

Holy Cow! they sure saw you coming if you were paying those rices. I rented when I first moved here and paid 60usd per month for brand new Yamaha Nouvo. I don't know anyone who is currently renting that is paying more than $70pm.

I'd love to know what bike I'd get for a $130pm got to be a blinder at that price :)

LaidbackFreak,
I am glad to hear that you got it for 60 USD a month.  I now know I was taken that I thought it was reasonable because I had nothing to compare.  I was not bargaining hard enough.
Thanks for sharing.

Hey LaidbackFreak,
Actually I have the Airblade for 1.6 million a month.  I think the AirBlade is a little better than the Yamaha Nouvo.  So I was not really taken that much.  The AirBlade is more fuel efficient than the Nouvo also.

I'd say that's a reasonable price :) a little on the high side maybe but at the end of the day as long as you're happy that's all that matters :)

And yep I like the airblades nice bikes, but I'm biased I love Honda's owned and ridden many of them over the years. :)