Digital marketing jobs in Vietnam

I have a Vietnamese friend who studied accountancy in college and has worked in tourism until everything closed down due to the Covid 19 outbreak. She has good English and has just completed an online course in digital marketing.
I have worked all my life in advertising and I am trying to help her, can anyone give me advice as to how she could get a job in this area, preferably in or near HCM.

I don't know anything about digital marketing job, but I know a multi-business owner who needs an accountant for the next 5 years -- in VT, not Saigon.  Your friend wouldn't have to live in VT full time but she needs to deal with the authority in this province.  To start, she must help him filing for business license in this city (he's fully legal in Saigon up until now), then balancing the book, paying scheduled taxes, etc.

He doesn't speak Vietnamese but is fluent in French, Spanish,  Portuguese, and English -- the last one with heavy French and Spanish accent.

Thank you for the response, however she seems to have her heart set on digital marketing, she says accountancy is boring.

A job is a job. Once you have one it's easier to find another or just seems that way

I think you miss the point, she doesn't just want a job, she wants to get into digital marketing.

Malcolmleitrim wrote:

I think you miss the point, she doesn't just want a job, she wants to get into digital marketing.

There are times when you have to take what you can get.  This would seem to one of those times.

Honestly, she's not stuck for a job, she just wants to change her career path.

I can sympathize with that.  Accounting is only a joy to a rare few.  A friend's wife who had a good job as an accountant for a CO-OP supermarket elected to pick fruit in Australia even though she probably could easily have found accounting work in the Vietnamese expat community.  Her husband told me by email that it was because she was so sick of accounting.

Precisely, there you have it. Personally I don't fancy digital marketing either but my friend seems to think it would be an interesting move.

THIGV wrote:

I can sympathize with that.  Accounting is only a joy to a rare few.  A friend's wife who had a good job as an accountant for a CO-OP supermarket elected to pick fruit in Australia even though she probably could easily have found accounting work in the Vietnamese expat community.  Her husband told me by email that it was because she was so sick of accounting.

My wife got her degree in accounting.  Did it for two years and hated it.  Boring.  No interest in doing it again, even in the US when we move where she could be paid well.

Malcolmleitrim wrote:

Didnt miss the point, but surely a job is better than no job?
Once she has a job bizzarly you become more attractive to other employers - always the way

Malcolmleitrim wrote:

I have a Vietnamese friend who studied accountancy in college and has worked in tourism until everything closed down due to the Covid 19 outbreak. She has good English and has just completed an online course in digital marketing.
I have worked all my life in advertising and I am trying to help her, can anyone give me advice as to how she could get a job in this area, preferably in or near HCM.

It seems like it would be similar to the way you found work in the advertising field. Usually, getting hired for a job in most any field involves networking with others, searching for leads and contacting potential employers.

I imagine she may also need to develop some sort of portfolio of ideas includung her assignments from the course and mock campaigns she has created in lieu of any experience.

Anyway, as a growing field, I would guess there are a lot opportunities, but here in VN, undoubtedly, there is plenty of competition as well.

Malcolmleitrim wrote:

Precisely, there you have it. Personally I don't fancy digital marketing either but my friend seems to think it would be an interesting move.

Saw a position come up for digital marketing vacancy on both vietnamworks and also on careerbuilder. Might be worth her registering her CV or profile and going from there
Ifni sport the link again I'll post it

Jlgarbutt wrote:
Malcolmleitrim wrote:

Saw a position come up for digital marketing vacancy on both vietnamworks and also on careerbuilder. Might be worth her registering her CV or profile and going from there
Ifni sport the link again I'll post it

Thank you, I'll suggest that to her.

I'm a digital marketing consultant with 20 years of experience, working for a global company but stranded in HCMC at the moment due to covid. I'd be happy to share knowledge with your friend if she wants to know more about the industry.

TomVdB wrote:

I'm a digital marketing consultant with 20 years of experience, working for a global company but stranded in HCMC at the moment due to covid. I'd be happy to share knowledge with your friend if she wants to know more about the industry.

Thank you, I'll pass this on to my friend.