Internet Outages in Brazil

It might be interesting to start tracking Internet outages and providers. 
TIM Fiber went down in Manaus last night for over two hours, from 10:55 PM May 19 to 1:15 AM May 20.

How's your service?

So far so good here. Tim works and Oi modem fine.
Strange there were 282 error msgs on email account " msg not sent"!
Heck I have not sent 282 email all last year. So deleted all

Texanbrazil wrote:

So far so good here. Tim works and Oi modem fine.
Strange there were 282 error msgs on email account " msg not sent"!
Heck I have not sent 282 email all last year. So deleted all

Your mail client probably kept trying to resend messages during brief outages or long latency, and noting each failure.

"Your mail client probably kept trying to resend messages during brief outages or long latency, and noting each failure."

Maybe, but it is an cryptic email account I do do use often. I just deleted all and changed password. Weird ......
I have received some phishing one as to my debit card...Never open because I only use at my bank

Claro has intermittent outages about once a month...

Five and a half hour TIM outage last night.  According to Fing, Manaus, Rio, and São Paulo affected. 
At least, we're finally connected to the Southeast again.  :cool:

Wow.

Texanbrazil wrote:

Wow.

I wonder whether TIM may be taking to network down purposely to fix or upgrade it, since it has to be under a lot of stress during the day.  The long outages seem to happening in the middle of the night, not during the peak hours when we'd expect a crash. 

But, maybe I'm just rationalizing incompetence..

abthree wrote:

Five and a half hour TIM outage last night.  According to Fing, Manaus, Rio, and São Paulo affected. 
At least, we're finally connected to the Southeast again.  :cool:

4-5hours outage, once a month is common occurrence in RS.

Have Tim here for cells, no issue. Oi for internet ok, except she is blaming service is slow when she has 10 windows open  :huh:
I read in the past that Tim internet was purchased, but not sure.

We have TIM for cell too, no problem  - except for the constant calls to upsell me.  😡

It's quite possible that they bought their network, since they were able to introduce an all-fiber network all at once.  We had Claro/Net before, bundled with cable TV.  TIM is cheaper, faster, and more reliable.   We've got 14 devices online at this very moment  (most idle, of course,  but still connected)  and a VOIP landline, and it's not sluggish.

AB3 - do you have a fingbox? If not, do you use fing to report on time down?

Thx
MattB

mberigan wrote:

AB3 - do you have a fingbox? If not, do you use fing to report on time down?

Thx
MattB

Yes, Matt, we do - I was an early adopter.  I find it very useful for tracking downtime, for network security, and for other uses.  It gets a little confused sometimes with the VPN - I need to pause the VPN to measure wifi speed - but that's minor.
How about you?

AB3 - well I don't have a fingbox but considered getting one to measure up/downtime here BUT my current provider has been doing a much better job especially during the current "isolamento."

I used to have OI as a provider, over copper wire and every 3-4 months I was tracking down a technician to go to the nearest box to swap connections given that the regular corrosion caused issues. I swapped to NetVirtua some years back and have had better luck except it seemed that weekends were always time (early morning) for change management for them.

Recently I was suffering a [self-inflicted] network issue and trying to work with NetVirtua (I was getting desperate) the remote support people simply doubled my speed to 30Mbps and must have done something else and my situation improved substantially, I also discovered that my internal security camera network was was causing issue. I'm settled now but still wonder if a fingbox might bring me better/clearer data about my network health (internal and external).

I also wish that I had a tool for the power grid. While I've got protection I think the power grid is all over the place. My "nobreaks" go nuts occassionally, usually at night, and I wish I could watch the data on spikes, drops and frequency.

I think you're in Manaus. How's power there?

Still thinking about a fingbox. Love fing for other network data!
MattB

Yep, we're in Manaus.  Power is surprisingly good, for Brazil.  Voltage is 127, so we can use our US gear.  When we bought the apartment we replaced the breakers and most of the old wiring, which certainly helped.  We're also in Centro, which, as in São Paulo, is the "Centro Histórico", not the place where everything happens anymore, but power failures here still have more visibility than they do in the more remote bairros.  The longest outage we've had in the last year was for eight hours; usually, they're more like 5 to 30  minutes, less than once a month.
I think you'll like Fingbox.  Ours is one of the very first, ordered pre-release before I left the US, and I'm tempted to upgrade, although they've been good about keeping the software up to date.   Definitely a purchase for the next trip to the US, though, if we go that way:  price on Amazon is $99, with an eye-popping $144.91 for shipping and import fees!

May was a pretty dismal month for us with TIM Internet.  We had outages on five days, the longest over two hours on May 19 (Happy Birthday to me!  :sosad: )
Our Fingbox measured only 18 good days out of 31, including a continuous run of bad days from May 3 to 11:  those were sporadic, but still bad enough for us to note at the time and to remember.
Fing ranked our ISP in the top 44% in Brazil last month; hardly impressive, but it could be worse.

Last few days Oi has been off and a minute later comes back (of course wait on modem and sign in again). Many sites take a while to open.
Must be the chilly weather  :joking:

me i work with independant contracters / resellers for internet as i have very specific needs and traffic shaping i require for a maintained connection for work ( as my job is in canada ) i want to try claro or oi or etc. but i live on top of the hill. fat bird doesnt get the worm right ? so i have to have people come out - they usually install the fiber for free as i dont mind paying extra for a quality connection vs * fast download / upload * as those are generally only good within brazil, when dealing internationally 35 down is written off as 3.5 down same goes for uploads.

If i have a stable connection for work i technically only need a 5 down 5 up line.

*disclaimer*

I have had enough interactions with ISPs here in regards to them usually talking shit out their ass without solving any requested routing / traffic shaping events they can handle. i let that go a few months before i slammed them who their internet was sold from, then their internet was sold to etc. go up the whole chain, point out where their whole network is and where their issues are, ended that note with that company stating if i ever have to solve your shit again, i will be putting in a fee for work. presented them a buleto, the angry look their boss gave them! lol

Its hard to tell people ive worked with computers since the dawn of commadore 64, lol good times video games on  cassette tapes!

now claro oi tim, they are all using the .net infrastructure. ideally you want that as its a well maintained system, now its the other contracters you need to worry about!

I guess it cold. I tried to log in on this site, waited 5 minutes and restarted. Worked fine then. Oi modem

Good evening, y'all!  I hope my message finds everyone doing well tonight.  I wanted to contribute about the wifi here in Zona Sul Sao Paulo.  We have VIVO Fibra and we haven't had a loss of service of our WiFi but we have lost electricity several times for 2 or 3 hours each time.

https://i.redd.it/eo6248sth0pz.png

these will be the prime locations of quality internet to north america and other countries. im going to see what i can do in regards t opossibly finding a decent map ( asides weather providing your LTE modem or satelite or straight cabled )

TIM was out for 20+ hours today in Manaus, from 2 AM to slightly after 10 PM.   :o. According to Internet reports,  Rio, São Paulo, Belo Horizonte, Salvador, and Recife were also affected, as well as several sizeable cities in the interior of SP.  I suspect that they took the network down for scheduled maintenance,  then couldn't get it back up again.

Holy crap. BH would panic!!
Welcome back

Claro had only 4 hours outage yesterday. Probably routine maintenance.

Hey folks, thinking about moving to Rio de Janeiro in September. I am an IT security analyst and need my internet connection consistent and stable. Is it worth moving?

01/22/23 @natebriscoe1.  Welcome!  I would expect that you could get a good connection in Rio; hopefully someone who lives there will chime in. 

My post above about the 20 hour outage is from 2020.  We haven't seen anything nearly that bad since, the trend is positive, and our infrastructure is a lot weaker than Rio's.

may may not, your going to find rotating outages depending on your provider. even in highly dense cities, example someone hits a pole. as there is no underground cabling internet can depending on location have a full day outage. other issues you will find is while connection in brazil is fast. line monitoring from external locations outside usa will hit the hubs and then you will see things get slower as well.

essentially it will be a constant gamble. and the other thing not sure how weather is in the south but heavy rains will make it creep to a crawl as well, again hard to sheild some hubs from external weather factors too.

We have Vivo and it is fine most of the time.

I had Xfinity in MD. and Cox  in RI. They were both awful.

Roddie in Retirement 🕵🏽

I had Xfinity in MD. and Cox in RI. They were both awful.

Roddie in Retirement 🕵🏽
-@Roddie Simmons

Rhode Island??????

Hot dog!!!!!

My favorite place!!!!

I had a tool route for a while in South Providence and Johnston, this going back to 1995-6

Used to go a lot to Newport, Providence ( my haircut was there ), and my mechanic was in Johnston.   

Hit a lot of golf balls there in Warwick over the winter.  That dome  Played some 9 holes on Buttownwood by the former Quarry.

And visited the dames at those strip joints. 

Watched a lot of shows by the MET Caffee and Lupo's Heartbreak Hotel.

Rhode bikes on Bristol.

And that is from a New Bedford guy.

What part of RI you came from ?

Problem here folks, is that most of our fiber routes are above ground, This goes for Sao Paulo, as my template.  Can't vouch for other States.

Enel, the Licensed Power Utility in Sao Paulo ( Formerly Eletropaulo, formerly owned by Americans, now owned by Italians ) takes a big haul in renting out those utility poles, somewhere at a tune of R$ 100 million per year, so I've been told.   

No municipality wants to sink money in digging trenches to shoot fiber along sewer rights of way, never mind gas and power lines.   That would force the hand of utility companies granted oligopolies.   

Let's face  ladies and gents, no matter how proud Brazilians might be of their countries, a lot of economic decision making here is backwards.    It ain't like a visionary like  Bill McGowan  can flourish in this Country.  Our brand of Capitalism are oligarchs, not  trailblazers, out here. 

The amount of fiber laid out by independent metro carriers is scant, and most of them use the same poles. Fiber to the curbside is limited to a few areas, and capex is huge.

Qos here means diddle squat.  No one does give five nines  it on the commercial side, let alone on the residential /retail side.

Anyone know much about Starlink in Brazil?

I had Xfinity in MD. and Cox in RI. They were both awful.

Roddie in Retirement 🕵🏽
-@Roddie Simmons

And I watched quite a few Pawsox Games at Mc Coy.  Around the time Ben Mondor was alive.

Anyone know much about Starlink in Brazil?
-@Inubia

I hear.

Satellites devend on DVB links, and there's a built in latency into them, usually bigger than fiber.

You can run traceroute rests using an IP address to see it by yourself, if you manage to get a starlink user nearby.  Or ask their IP.

Granted, if you are out on the boondocks, then it''s satellite, even if only as a backup, or nothing. 

@Inubia

starlink is avaliable for preorder, for the speed they offer its actually not bad, ive worked on about 100+ of their connections, you dont notice much of a difference, polling latency from large volume can jitter some, boils down to how many individual items are loaded. streaming / large single file transfers are great. Disclaimer you would be paying out the arse so to speak even for avaliable service because even as spreal says olgipolis would cause that to get cut or raise the cost on starlink to cover their loss.

eo6248sth0pz.png

these will be the prime locations of quality internet to north america and other countries. im going to see what i can do in regards t opossibly finding a decent map ( asides weather providing your LTE modem or satelite or straight cabled )
-@Mikeflanagan

Out of these subsea drop spots, Rio, Fortaleza  ( Or Rio Grande do Norte ), not quite sure Santos-SP get the connect. From Europe, Fortaleza.

Old Level 3 -Global Crossing ( now Century Link )  and a couple other carriers used to run subsea fiber from Miami-FL .  Telefonica also runs fiber in Miami to feed LATAM.

Century Link has good capilarity in Sao Paulo, Rio, Brasilia.  In Sao Paulo, Santo Andre and Campinas, at least, I spotted their manholes.   They do not hand out maps or lit buildings to no one.  And they only handle large accounts.  Retail, therefore, is excluded. 

Last mile, is your local Incumbent Carrier, Vivo, ISP, Embratel/Claro, Telemar, TIM ( mostly South of the Country out of their purchase of Brasil Telecom a few years back ). Algar Telecom is strong in Sao Paulo and parts of Minas Gerais.   Great QOs .   Telefonica inherited all of the Telesp / CTBC business and rights of ways.  Claro owns Embratel, the old equivalent of AT&T , but their last mile is dog awful ( at least IMHO ). Also Telefonica bought a company from Parana a few years back, which was funded by a company in Colorado Global Village Telecom. which was part of the Sercomtel ( Londrina-PR ).

Telemar is strong in Rio and the Country's Northeast ( also dubbed by Cariocas as Telemerda  a few years back ). They just came out of bankrupcy proceedings, shrunk considerably ( they sold their mobile division ).  Claro bought Nextel on the mobile side.

A few years back, Global Crossing bought a satelite broadband provider in Brazil.  Can't remember the name.

It might be Hughes.   Not quite sure. 

@Mikeflanagan per month how many times would you say the outages happen?

@sprealestatebroker sounds like Starlink internet satellite plan is the way to go. For $99 per month I pay around that much now for Xfinity.