Hospitals in Porto Alegre

Hi,

My name is James, and it looks like I'll be here in Porto Alegre for a few weeks yet, living alone in an AirBnB apartment.  Due to my age (77), it looks like I'm in a precarious position, and likely to become severely affected by this virus, should I come down with it. 

I would appreciate it if someone could give me the name of a local hospital here where I might go if needed!  I have been here isolated for a few weeks now, and so far, so good!  Thank you for any recommendations you might send me!

First check united airlines. They are flying to SP to Houston or Newark until Mar 27, then no more flights to Brazil.
Do you have health insurance?

Hi TB,

I do have TRI Care from the military, and it should take care of me down here if needed.  But, i found a place to stay, and will "hunker down" for the next month or so.  Right now i am planning on return to the US in May.

James,
Best of luck!
The Brazilian Ministry of Health has launched a free app, "Coronavírus - SUS" that is available from both the Apple and Google Play Stores.  It centers on your phone's GPS location, and shows you all the medical facilities near you on a map.  Clicking on a site's icon gives you the address.

First, thank you for your service.
TRICARE I believe will cover for it you update your overseas information in DEERS.
Would like to be a fly on the wall explaining TRICARE in a Brazil medical facility. :unsure

Good luck.
TEX USMC

Hi AB3,

Thanks for you message.  I did find that site on Google Play.....but, I could NOT download it!  It did not give me the option to do so!  I'm not sure what I did, but, all I could find was stuff from the US.  (Not much help here in Brasil!)   Suggestions?   Thanks!

Hi Tex!

Semper Fi!

I once called the folks who administer TRI Care for overseas people, and was told that they have a large bi-lingual staff on hand that will accept any medical stuff from south-of-the-border in either Spanish or Portuguese!   (At one time, we had to send this in only after getting it translated by someone from the local US embassy!) 

I did get some help from the consulate here in Porto Alegre, who sent me a list of hospitals, as well as various doctors I might contact in care of troubles!  Great service!

Stay safe in these troubled times!

Aim High ... Fly-Fight-Win
We are here if needed.
Thanks to the Consulate for their help.

chefjim wrote:

Hi AB3,

Thanks for you message.  I did find that site on Google Play.....but, I could NOT download it!  It did not give me the option to do so!  I'm not sure what I did, but, all I could find was stuff from the US.  (Not much help here in Brasil!)   Suggestions?   Thanks!

Jim,

You can try going to this link; don't know whether it will work:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta … .guardioes

Hi AB3!

Got it!  Thank you so much for your tip!  I'm sure that it will go a long way in helping me adjust to my current situation.   I appreciate your kindness in sharing!

Jim

Glad it worked for you -  all the best!