Medication in Saudi Arabia

Good morning everyone,

Whether it's a simple cold or a chronic illness, medication and medicine use vary from country to country and culture to culture.

When you are used to certain brands or types of drugs, being in a country like Saudi Arabia with different rules can affect your daily well-being.

Some drugs also differ in name, price, dosage, active molecule, so we would like to hear your opinion on these issues:

Have you ever had difficulties finding familiar or useful medicines for your health in your host country?

Have you ever been faced with a shortage of medicines in Saudi Arabia?

Would you have said that in Saudi Arabia drugs are more or less expensive than in your home country? Do you find them more or less effective or of similar quality?

What is the place of alternative medicines in your host country? Have you ever used them?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

No, it has never been a problem in finding any medication

regarding the prices, yes ultimately, the prices in pakistan are in Pak rupees and prices here in are in saudi riyals

and lastly, saudi arabia is a beutiful country with everything available to everyone and the government of Saudi Arabia is also very kind in dealing with everyone in the country

if you have any other question, feel free to ask me

Regards
Yousaf

I can get anything in Saudi that I can in the US except my name brand eye drops (Visine) and antacid (Rolaids) there are alternate brands so no problem. The prices are in line with the rest of the world except the US. I use a Ventolin inhaler for asthma which is 20 riyals in Saudi and is 200 riyals in the US and you need to have a doctor's prescription to get it, in general drug prices in the US are ten times higher.

no
Under these circumstances, anyone who feels something can contact 937 of the Ministry of Health to direct to the nearest hospital

The quality and range of medications in KSA are at par as in the rest of the world, and more often as compared to the USA prices are much lower.

Hi,
My experience in Saudi Arabia with regards to the hospitals and medication it was, I can say a very good one. Although you would wish to avoid as much as possible hospitals, unfortunately when you are having a child it's hard to do so. The healthcare system is very very  good. Most of the doctors studied abroad, UK, America..etc. And there will never be a shortage of any medication.

Not at all.
I have never experienced any shortage in medication.

I'm a type 1 diabetic. So for me I've never had issues with medication availability in KSA.
Everything from my home country is available here, sometime as a different name, but majority is available.
Costs are about the same - some pharmacies will provide things that normally require prescription in my home country over the counter.

Hospitals unfortunately are being staffed more and more by demotivated and rude staff. Especially in the last year - so that part is really not improving at all.

Good evening.
I find purchasing medication for myself is a problem as it is never stocked here, therefore I have to come away with an alternative.
Last night I went to a local pharmacy, they didn't stock what I required, an alternative was shown to me, but they wouldn't sell it to me without me having to first visit a doctor. I know what I needed, but ended up going without ... very frustrating.
Also, yes, I do find medication here to be much more expensive than in the UK.

Hello
All medications are available here good quality never faced any problems.

Hospitals & Clinics here working with advanced equipments. Doctors & Staff Nurses are qualified and experienced. Most of the company providing good  medical insurance. So treatments  are almost free. May be we have to pay 20% maximum. Even cash Payment also affordable.

if we have insurance card then its good without insurance the medicine and hospital charges are very high

Here Every treatment is available but cost of medicine, test and consultant fee is very very high. Specially for labourers and visitors are very difficult.

You say its very high? Do you have a price comperison with KSA vs your home country? Were are you from?

I find the medical visits overpriced, but medication very cheap compaird to home.

My country is Pakistan. Rates are 100 times. Such as  Renitec 10 mg here in Saudi Arabia 120 Saudi Riyals 30 Tab.
While in Pakistan there 20 tab are 240 Rupess ( 6 Riyals).
Same are others.

X ray here in Saudi about 200 to 300 SR. While in Pakistan it is just 300 to 600 Rupees (7 Riyals to 14 Riyals)

No.
I never faced this problem, Even we never heard about the shortage or non availability of any Medicine here Saudi Markets.

Basically the drugs are similar but the brands and the dose are different hey.

Asalamualikum , well I never face any shortage of medicines regarding price I think it's a bit expensive but if through MEDICAL insurance it's very cheap in price .

I can not find plasmaquin in Khobar or Dammam. They do have plaquinol but I need to take it daily to treat RA. DHL also not willing to courier it from my home country. Same issue with Prednisone, though available in Saudi in liquid form. The BP medication and coxflam has alternatives or equivilents and comparing prices very similar to what I pay in my home country.

I am exactly in the same situation. I am told DHL requires an import permit from Drugs control authority.
Their numbers are difficult to get through to.