Cost of Living in the Philippines in 2020

My wife and I bought land here in Cebu and built a beautiful house in a golf and country club in Alta Vista Country Club overlooking all mountains behind me and all of Cebu and the sea in the distance in front.  Yes the land has to be bought under my wife’s name and the house is in both our names. I have zero regrets. We travel back to Florida once a year for a few months and then spend the rest in Cebu. We travel to other Asian countries,  play tennis, Swim in the club house pool and I’m learning to golf (lol) and I  enjoy the Philippines a lot. To all expats... once in a while it’s worth taking a risk in your life.

ARTHUR

arty5987 :

My wife and I bought land here in Cebu and built a beautiful house in a golf and country club in Alta Vista Country Club overlooking all mountains behind me and all of Cebu and the sea in the distance in front.  Yes the land has to be bought under my wife’s name and the house is in both our names. I have zero regrets. We travel back to Florida once a year for a few months and then spend the rest in Cebu. We travel to other Asian countries,  play tennis, Swim in the club house pool and I’m learning to golf (lol) and I  enjoy the Philippines a lot. To all expats... once in a while it’s worth taking a risk in your life.

ARTHUR

Hey Arthur can you share 10 pesos for a cup of coffee?

Sure

25k can do very well in 1st class municipalities.

I do not have direct experience in the last several years in the National Capital, but I am guessing it might be 2x that.

25k PHP is $500

That would not get much in anyplace in the US.

3x that is what you might be looking at and that is just for starters. $2000-3000 for a hovel in places like NY, CHicago, Seattle.

In the 90s I had a New York apartment that cost me 2k per month. It was about 1100sqft 2br.

I need to update that 25k estimate and make it a lot more detailed. It is a middle of the road figure.

Between PD & pnw cost estimates, budgeting USD 25k would do fine for a family of 3 around but outside Cebu City.
Do you maintain a house in the US or your country of origin? How much would that cost to keep/maintain?

Townhouse in Bethlehem, PA, 3 bedroom, 2 bathrooms, finished basement, about $170,000 market value, pay $3,600/year Real Estate taxes, so $300/month.  Electricty, used for heat runs about $150/month average, $350 in the coldest months, less than $100 in the summer using an airconditioner on each floor. Phone, cable and internet, including TFC is $200/month.  Cousin lets me throw our trash into his dumpster behind his office.  Age over 65 means we get to ride the buses for free.  So we spend $650/month plus food, travel and entertainment.  Like in the Philippines,  we live well on just my Social Security even having $140/month withheld for Medicare.

mugtech :

Townhouse in Bethlehem, PA, 3 bedroom, 2 bathrooms, finished basement, about $170,000 market value, pay $3,600/year Real Estate taxes, so $300/month.  Electricty, used for heat runs about $150/month average, $350 in the coldest months, less than $100 in the summer using an airconditioner on each floor. Phone, cable and internet, including TFC is $200/month.  Cousin lets me throw our trash into his dumpster behind his office.  Age over 65 means we get to ride the buses for free.  So we spend $650/month plus food, travel and entertainment.  Like in the Philippines,  we live well on just my Social Security even having $140/month withheld for Medicare.

And home insurance is almost $100/month, so total is more like $750 /month plus food, travel and entertainment.

I think your car prices are on the high side both for buying and on going running expensive
Cars are more  expensive in Philippines compared to Australia some are double the price but running costs are a lot cheaper as labor is very cheap
I was never going to buy a car but happy I did as it rains a lot and you don't get forced of the road as much as on a motorcycle,
I never use public transport no way
Always drive with caution as a accident can land you in serious trouble even if you are in the right, being a foreigner does not help.

barkz :

I think your car prices are on the high side both for buying and on going running expensive
Cars are more  expensive in Philippines compared to Australia some are double the price but running costs are a lot cheaper as labor is very cheap
I was never going to buy a car but happy I did as it rains a lot and you don't get forced of the road as much as on a motorcycle,
Always drive with caution as a accident can land you in serious trouble even if you are in the right, being a foreigner does not help.

what vehicle did you purchase?

barkz :

Living in Pasig City, I would never thinking of driving here. The drivers here are like peope riding the trains in India. Not enough stop lights and if there is one, it's ignored. Four abreast on a roads built for three abreast.

I ride Grab, avoiding spending money for a car purchase, gas, insurance, repairs and no place to park the car. If I lived in the Boonies I would reconsider. I let the Grab driver get the road rage, not me, I'll sit back and enjoy the cheap ride.

I only drove once while in the Phills my wife ex boss loaned me a car that the worse expeirence i had in my life driving, I am a profesional driver here in Australia I drive a bus for a living, no way I would own a car there, take a taxi or crab or urber jeepney bus let them have the stress and a hell a lot cheaper than spending big money on a car, in Cebu now free buses to sm mall Robinsons.