Driving to Malta

Dear Friends,

What is the recommended route to drive a car from the UK to Malta?

and, what are the hidden costs?

Best regards

Chris and Rachel

ChrisandrachelHolland wrote:

Dear Friends,

What is the recommended route to drive a car from the UK to Malta?

and, what are the hidden costs?

Best regards

Chris and Rachel

Have you read all previous posts in this subject using the search button?

My suggestion would be to drive to Genoa via France/Italy and get on the ferry to Palermo, Sicily. Then drive across Sicily to Pozzallo and get the ferry to Malta. It worked for me.

I have just checked ferry connections, as I was also thinking about driving down to Malta this summer (but from Austria - not the UK).

As an alternative to the Virtu Ferries connection from Pozzallo (Sicily) - which is rather expensive - Grimaldi Lines go to Malta from Catania and Salerno. I was looking at Salerno-Malta (return trip) and it would have been 500 for a car, 2 adults & 2 children, in an outside cabin. I think this price is quite reasonable, we paid more just for the Pozzallo-Valletta ferry in 2016. The trip takes 27 hours from Italy to Malta and 32 hours from Malta to Italy, though.

I did the Salerno to Malta trip last November.  It is more like a cargo ship with a few cabins while the GNV boat from Genoa is more like a cruise ship.  Its cheaper but you have to factor in the cost of the trip down through Italy.  You do save the trip across Sicily.

Thank you for your advice; most helpful. Chris

Hi
We are currently  in the process of the same route we stayed overnight in Macon but  are unsure whether to take the A40  Which goes above Turin or the A43  under Turin  to Genoa
Is there snow etc as we do not have tyres for this!!
Many thanks
Ali

If it's very windy the boat fromSicily to Malta is often cancelled.

I'm looking for info on roads to travel from Macon to Genoa!
Thanks