Buying a multicab/truck in the philippines

I am planning to purchase a *brand new 'Multicab wif a double canopy sometime this year. It would cost all-in wif 3yrs registration about $200t pesos. (Well maintained Used ones 2-3 yr old ones are available but *NOT very much cheaper for some strange reason!)
FYI : All Philippines Multicabs are basically small farm trucks that are scraped & then exported fm Japan to the Phils. They are then locally retrofitted/welded back together, and put up for sale as *brand new fm the likes of Rusco Motors (Surigao) branch.
It basically is a 2 seater with a long steel back frame; onto which they retrofit a double canopy together with 2 long seats. It has a v.small 660cc engine/12valve/3 cyclinder/4 speed manual set up & I find it to be very easy to handle. I am a 6 footer and fit quite easily into it & I've driven my current relatives multicab for 3 months to get a hang of it...top speed is only about 60km/h...a good speed for defensive drivers!!!..hahaha)
I would have liked to purchase a brand new larger truck like Toyota / Nissan but the prices being asked is a little out of my range even for those 2 to 3yr old models + driving those branded larger trucks in the Provinces (Like where I am) with endless dirt road/dangerous drivers all around would be a REAL challenge + would attract unwanted attention; which is the last thing I want.
Appreciate any feedback/tips from those who many have some experience with these multicabs.
Thanks Again

I have known a couple of people who had one.

They are everywhere so parts should be plentiful and there should also be lots of people around who know how to fix them.

no opinion on reliability

Two negatives I have seen and heard:

1. They are not the best for crash survivability - especially head on

2. They are under powered.

Philippine Destiny wrote:

I have known a couple of people who had one.

They are everywhere so parts should be plentiful and there should also be lots of people around who know how to fix them.

no opinion on reliability

Two negatives I have seen and heard:

1. They are not the best for crash survivability - especially head on

2. They are under powered.

Agreed
Hahaha... 'underpowered' is an understatement! used to drive a bmw e63 in SIngapore... but those days are over. :)

Yes god forbid a 'head on' collision but this will be driven 95% in rural areas at much lower speeds (<50km/h)..so I shud be fine....fingers crossed!

Thanks

A clip fm an expat here using the multicab..

https://youtu.be/o1u7UzTotsI

Enjoy :thanks:

I will give you my 2 cents worth don't waste your money on a multi cab unless thats all you can afford they are nothing but headaches suggest you put the money towards a good used HIlux, Ranger, Bt-50 or Montero I have lived here 18 years I know of no one that has ever purchased one of those that did not have a head gasket problem in time the suspension also needs constant repair they are usually 20 year old pieces of 2 or 3 trucks welded back together by in experienced welders the bondo usually holds them together if your a masochist you love owning one

he also had nothing but problems with it and sold it in 12 months for 90,000 as it was over heating

(Well maintained Used ones 2-3 yr old ones are available but *NOT very much cheaper for some strange reason!)
It's the same with any vehicle here in Philippines, most Filipinos think when they come to sell it's still worth what they paid for it.

Thanks guys....Good points raised!
Overheating/Head Gasket/Used car prices not being low enough.

Guess  I need to research a little bit more!!!

:/
Thanks again.

Don't be down hearted with the responses manwonder, there are millions of these here + or -  for a reason.
They serve a purpose, are cheap to buy, run and maintain. I have looked at these beasts as a run around (local) but the better half advised that a mio can do that at only PHP 70K. He is lucky because we also have a decent car for long/fast trips for touring etc.
All my research leads me to believe that if you want a versatile motorised large wheelbarrow then why would you look at spending more than the 200+ K, ego? It's a work ute that can also take you to the local sari store or the mall further afield and for the brave even further.

Wow that's only like 4K US for a (reconstructed) new set of working wheels, LMAO, I want one. Pimp it?
Go where your heart is manwonder, I'm sure you have done your research well.
You could always drop a larger engine and a 5 speed later.

Cheers, Steve.

BTW, a double cab reduces your carrying capacity, throwing the bulk over and behind/south of your springs.
I have a landcruiser ute (single cab) in Oz and I installed air bags some years ago for heavier loads, pump them up and put 2 and a half tons in the back and drives perfectly, another option ove an extra leaf or 2, fully adjustable with a compressor.

Cheers, Steve.

I would tell you to get a good used crosswind, but in my used car shopping I have found that most used vehicles are either way overpriced or ragged out or both at the same time.

stars have to align to get the right one

I think the multicab is a viable option compared to the alternatives. Just make sure that you know a mechanic ahead of time. One with a tow truck.

They are not suitable for people with legs...LOL not mushroom inside.

Thanks guys looking into the sky now and hoping the stars align!
Btw ...what am i looking out for :  a vertical, horizontal or mushroom alingment?

:D
Cheers

Munchie wrote:

They are not suitable for people with legs...LOL not mushroom inside.

took me until just now to get that

brain got stuck on it earlier   :D

I'm exercising my "have legs" too!!!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fhe1Su8nlAM

Thanks
:D