Adopting a pet in Hungary

Hello,

Are you a dog or a cat person? A pet can add life to a home and make an ideal travel companion during your expatriation in Hungary.

However, formalities or regulations might put you off traveling with your pet making adoption a better option.

Are there any particular rules or procedures for the adoption of an animal in Hungary?

What are the costs associated with adopting a pet in Hungary?

Are there different procedures depending on the animal?

Are pet-sitting options available?

Have you ever adopted a pet in Hungary? Is he or she still with you today?

Thank you in advance for your feedback,

Loïc

Honest to God, I wouldn't really wish to worry about a beloved pet in any country where I wasn't sure what was going on.
I have a HU husband but even he is not clear on matters here.
We did take my MIL's cat to the vet once to get "fixed" my nerves were shot over the entire affair.
Before that she had 2 liters within a short period of time.
One of her kittens was under the care of my 80 plus year old MIL. We were visiting for 6 months to help her out, giving the other sibs a so called, "break" from watching her.
Flew all the way for Vegas and quit good jobs to sit around watching her with her many cats and a old dog... Whatever.
Long story short my MIL got one of her kittens feet stuck in her folding bed. I awake about 4 am hearing my husband screaming and his elderly mother crying.
The mother cat had jumped on my husband's face while he was trying to save her baby.
My MIL totally had lost it and didn't know if my husband was helping our hurting.
When office hours were open I insited they take the kitten to the vet to look at it's leg.
Too much drama for me.
Kitten lived but limped along .
No way would I have a pet here, just me.
When it comes to health matters with a pet or child I always want to be 100% informed of what is going on, haven't really experienced that attitude here .

Loïc wrote:

Have you ever adopted a pet in Hungary? Is he or she still with you today?

Yes. And Yes. He and I are together in my Avatar image here.

Loïc wrote:

Are there any particular rules or procedures for the adoption of an animal in Hungary?

With a dog, as I have, one must get yearly Rabies vaccines and the dog must have a digital chip. That records the owner. Those are recorded on the animals registration card. When Adopting, if the animal does not have one or both, you have to pay to have that done.

Loïc wrote:

What are the costs associated with adopting a pet in Hungary?

Depends what the vet charges. I paid 10,000 HUF for the chip and 4,000 HUF for the rabies shot.

Loïc wrote:

Are there different procedures depending on the animal?

I am sure procedures vary. Depending where one gets the pet.
For me, the procedure was the owner did not want the dog. I asked if I could have him. The owner wrote a letter saying the owner was transferring ownership to me. Showed it to the Vet. The vet was good with that. Inserted the chip, which registered me as the owner, and gave the rabies vaccine and that was it. He was mine. Or maybe I was his... With Golden Retrievers it is hard to say....  :D

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

When it comes to health matters with a pet or child I always want to be 100% informed of what is going on, haven't really experienced that attitude here .

In Hungary? 100% informed?.....  :lol:  This may be the wrong country for you. I am happy with 10% information.... Amazed, delighted, astounded if I get more without a crow bar*.... :D

Forget officialdom. Just get a good vet. They will treat your pet. And they deal with officialdom. Don't over think it.

*Have had to use a crow bar... really annoying.....  and expensive. Because the info was not good for the PTB....   :(

klsallee wrote:
Marilyn Tassy wrote:

In Hungary? 100% informed?.....  :lol:  This may be the wrong country for you. I am happy with 10% information.... Amazed, delighted, astounded if I get more without a crow bar*.... :D

Forget officialdom. Just get a good vet. They will treat your pet. And they deal with officialdom. Don't over think it.

*Have had to use a crow bar... really annoying.....  and expensive. Because the info was not good for the PTB....   :(

Yes, don't really plan on burying my bones here but it doesn't matter in the end.
I like to be informed about anything medical with people and pets in my life.
I wish we had the internet when my dog was around, very helpful to get some basic info about things.
My dog had back surgery, which although I got a half price deal because the doc had seen the surgery done but never performed the operation himself was still more money to get done then many pets owners are willing to pay out here in Hungary.
Just saying a puppy is cute and all but most people forget about dogs aging and costing  more then their weight in gold to care for. I was shilling out over $125. a month for arthritis pills for about 2 years for my dog plus other meds.Worth it to me but not everyone is willing to do that.
If I put a price tag on having my beloved dog for 12/12 years it would be more then $10,000 in total with moving to Hawaii, treatments for his skin, back elderly care with meds, flying to and from on airlines and paying for obedience training, not to metion al the time to visit himin oock up in Hawaii, petrol costs etc.
Well worth it as he was just another child to us but many people don't see them as children once the bills start to add up. My older sister is in hock for vet bills now with 3 elderly dogs,