Pet Parrots?

Hi All,
Anyone have an idea of a pet store in Budapest that carries pet parrots for sale? There seem to be a few with little birds, but nobody with larger birds. Anybhelp as to some suggested stores here? Thanks!

Expatdition wrote:

Hi All,
Anyone have an idea of a pet store in Budapest that carries pet parrots for sale? There seem to be a few with little birds, but nobody with larger birds. Anybhelp as to some suggested stores here? Thanks!

I think you'll have to look on Jofogas or Vatera.

Hungarian for parrot is papagáj

FWIIW, a large parrot will probably out live you. It is a friend for life. If not aware of that, do consider that before purchase.  ;)

klsallee wrote:

FWIIW, a large parrot will probably out live you. It is a friend for life. If not aware of that, do consider that before purchase.  ;)

Correct - without really considering it, I had always promised myself a big parrot for when I retired, as I got nearer to the date I started doing the research and realised just how silly my idea was - gutted.

Cynic wrote:
klsallee wrote:

Correct - without really considering it, I had always promised myself a big parrot for when I retired, as I got nearer to the date I started doing the research and realised just how silly my idea was - gutted.

One could always get a Norwegian Blue. Beautiful plummage.

Cynic wrote:
klsallee wrote:

We had a super cute smart little Cockatiel bird.( Sad story about the airlines not allowing him to board last min, had to give him back to the lady who hand raised him)
OK, they may not learn to speak like a parrot but they can learn  whistles and tunes within mins. and remember them, super sweet birds who will sit on your shoulder and eat noodles off the table.
They do not live as long as a parrot.
It  would fly onto my head when I was doing tree pose in yoga, Funny little thing, had a temper too. Had a huge personality for such a small little thing.
My sister had an African Grey parrot named Elvis in the late 1960's.
She mentioned she would have to put him in her will.
Sadly somehow he got out of his cage when they hung it up outside for him to get some fresh air.
She looked everywhere for him, finally went to a bird sanctuary and found him.
The women running the place wouldn't give him back to my sister because she couldn't prove he was hers.
It was obvious how he went to my sister etc, but the women probably had dollar signs in her greedy eyes for a resale and not just hand him back to his rightful owner.
My sister was a Hippie back then and no one really bothered with paperwork.
My niece also had a African Grey growing up, wow, I must remember to ask her where he went, maybe he is with her brother.
Wonder birds but yes, they often outlive their owners.

Really I just wanted to say there are many other types of birds that make wonderful pets and don't cost thousands of bucks and outlive us.
Don't give up finding a bird just research what breed would do well in Hungary , not be too loud and not chew up your entire home.
We allowed our little bird to fly free inside the apt.
He enjoyed it but he ate up all my nice dinning  chair backs and we had to keep on eye on him for not eating wires etc.
Also you may have to get used to having your little buddy do his business on your shoulder at times....( Maybe even on top your head!)
If you've never had a pet bird before, a parrot might not be the best choice to start with.
My niece said parrot bites are very painful.