Driving

Hello everyone

Just wondering if you can drive on the left side in Malta of course if you find that car? Here in Canada and US you drive on the right side so just was wondering

Also is it better to buy a used card from dealership or it doesn't matter? Can i buy and insure a car with my Canadian DL as i have to wait one year as i have been told by transport Malta

Thanks

Noah11 wrote:

Hello everyone

Just wondering if you can drive on the left side in Malta of course if you find that car? Here in Canada and US you drive on the right side so just was wondering

Also is it better to buy a used card from dealership or it doesn't matter? Can i buy and insure a car with my Canadian DL as i have to wait one year as i have been told by transport Malta

Thanks

Driving here is the same as UK on the left, although locals drive in the middle, you cannot purchase a car until you have your residence card, don't know about insurance.

Thanks Mo
I know i can't buy a car now but just in general.Is there cars drives at same side as in Us,Canada and Europe or it has to be on the left or in the middle?
Thanks

we drive on the left, not like the rest of europe - same as UK, Japan, South Africa, Australia, Cyprus, Hong Kong and a number of small places.

Noah11 wrote:

Thanks Mo
I know i can't buy a car now but just in general.Is there cars drives at same side as in Us,Canada and Europe or it has to be on the left or in the middle?
Thanks

I said on the left, it's not a case of you cannot purchase a car now I meant when you first move here.

Noah11 wrote:

Thanks Mo
Thanks

This will give you a little understanding of LHD & RHD.

Noah11

I found this that might help you.... Tips on driving on the Left side

You will not get insurance from a Maltese insurance company without a drivers license from a EU country.  You cannot take the test in Malta until your eResidence card is 6 months old.  In the meantime you can rent a car and drive it with your canadian license.

LHD or RHD makes less difference in Malta than other places because of the way the roads are here.   The best cars for Malta are the small ones.  The smaller the better.

timcob wrote:

You will not get insurance from a Maltese insurance company without a drivers license from a EU country.  You cannot take the test in Malta until your eResidence card is 6 months old.  In the meantime you can rent a car and drive it with your canadian license.

atlas helps non eu people for a period of a year, depends on situation but its not a out right you wont get it.

South African driving licences are not even transferable here we have to re-take our license from scratch and Atlas does insure people in that situation.

Glad to hear you had good luck.  We were refused cover from atlas both directly and through a broker for a small toyota,last year.  35 years us license with no accidents and a transferable no claims bonus.  Had to wait and do the test from scratch.  I called every company and number I could find to no avail.

Thank you everyone for all the info you shared but one of my questions if there is right hand driving cars available in Malta or only left hand driving or it has to be that way
for example as i said in Canada,US and many other countries as you know people driving on the right but if you have a car on the left you can drive it as well
Hope i explained my question better
Thanks

There is both and I have one of each.  I use my LHD car for trips to europe.  In Malta it is a bit of a pain at tolls etc since I have to get out and walk around the car to pay or get a ticket.  You would not really want a LHD car if you were buying and it would also be very difficult to sell later.

Most Maltese drive RHD cars which are the correct cars for driving on the left.  A large number of second hand cars are imported from the UK or Japan and sold on the used car market.  Few people drive their cars to Italy since the ferry fare is expensive and the flights are cheap.

Great you absolutely have a good point
Thanks timecob