Duty free household goods

Upon retirement in RP one gets up to 7,000 USD duty free on household goods. How does this work , timeframe to make this happen and can these  imported goods be new?

Lat61 wrote:

Upon retirement in RP one gets up to 7,000 USD duty free on household goods. How does this work , timeframe to make this happen and can these  imported goods be new?

Hi Lat, when you say retirement do you mean an SRRV or retiring there with your Filipino partner as a returning citizen in her name? Other options also.
We shipped our household goods in a shipping container but in my better half name as a returning Filipino with permanent residency in Australia. About AU 7k for the container (we loaded and did the manifest) Shipped to Manila and delivered and unloaded to our house 6 hours north of Manila.

I was concerned with taxes and duties as my partner was only allowed from memory PH 250K so only US 5K the max for 5 years out of the country.
Not a problem, no brown paper bags involved, no taxes or duties on our manifest provided. That manifest never asked for values, we did insure for total loss with the shipper as part of the cost, nothing was broken or lost. My estimate on the value of the goods shipped both new and used was be 35 to 40K but we were never asked for a valuation for customs or BIR only for total loss with the shipping company for insurance which was part of our 7K contract.

While costly for shipping and handling we sent our best household goods as well as things that are not available in PH, simple things like a rotary clothes line, nuts and bolts, power tools, generators, 65 and 80" televisions,  Quality HiFi equipment, desk top computers etc etc.
It can be done but one needs to research and very well.

There is a plethora of info both here and other sites, some skirting around as well as tangible input.
PLZ let us know your visa status to secure pertinent advice/opinions and then some.

Cheers, Steve.