New members of the Singapore forum, introduce yourselves here - 2020

Hi all,

Newbie on the Singapore forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Singapore if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

My wife Britta and I arrived in Singapore earlier in January. We both work in the Petrochemical industry and are expected to live here for 3 to 4 years. I'm Belgian and Britta is German and although we moved here from Houston, we still consider Belgium our home country. I have got a 28 year old daughter and a 26 year old son and both of them are living in Belgium. We are looking forward to getting to know Singapore, meet interesting people and explore the region.

I am Isaac from Ghana and now planning to move to Singapore. I will be looking for a job in Singapore and i hold a Bachelors degree in Business administration. In Ghana, I work for a child and youth development center as a project director. I have passion for children and inculcating into them the values of Christ Jesus.
I still consider myself as an open minded person who is always ready to learn new things. I am also open to new challenges and new opportunities in Singapore.

Isaac: Welcome to the forum!
You should be aware that Singapore is an open and tolerant multi-religious society with only a small minority of Christians. Since religion is seldom mentioned in public (and any kind of missionary activity frowned on), your statement "I have passion for children and inculcating into them the values of Christ Jesus" makes you unsuitable for jobs in schools, kindergartens and public child care institutions or organisatioons.
I am not sure if there are any more jobs in your field. You may try at the local churches.

Oh okay. In Ghana thats the work I do. But I am open to job opportunities that may arise and not into teaching alone. I hold a Bachelor's degree in business administration and ready for any new career challenge. There is a saying that when you go to Rome ,you do what the Raman's do, so if Singapore is less church country I have to abide by their rules should I make it there. Thank you so much for letting me no , I never knew. Am most grateful.

It seems you should do a lot of reading about the place, before you venture to Singapore.
This forum, by the way, has lots of dicussions about how to find a job in Singapore. Do follow as much of that advice as possible!

Thanks very much . I really appreciate your advice

hi there
it is quite a pleasure connecting to this forum.
I am a banker by profession (core skills in administration, sales, finance), with a strong entrepreneurial streak.
Lived, studied, and worked in Cameroon for the past 44 years of my life.
Presently I desire to move out and discover the world and Singapore seems like the place to be, from what i have read so far.

I will be delighted:
* to meet / make friends with whom I will be able to correspond to prepare for my eventual moving to Singapore, especially with respect to getting a job initially, knowing that I will proceed after that stage with establishing myself in business.

Once more it is quite a please having to introduce myself on this forum.

Ayongwar: There are lots of discussions on this forum, containing good advice about looking for jobs in Singapore. I encourage you to read (and follow) as much of it as possible.
Keep in mind that millions of people from all kinds of places want to move to Singapore, so in order to succeed you have to be better than them in some respect. It won't be easy!

Hi. I'm new to this forum but first arrived in Singapore in January 1989, moving here full time 16 years ago. Been training at Singapore Institute of Management (SIM) for 31 years and train and speak in companies and government on time management, leadership & motivation. Happy to share with people what I've learned over the 3 decades here coming from the USA. This is an amazing country to live, grow a family and do business. Plan on making it our retirement home too. God bless you all.

Welcome to the forum, Michael!

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
Don't be bothered: I'm highly skilled and have generally been among the top performers in whatever organization I've been in.
I'm impatiently looking forward to learn and get connected.

Ayongwar: Sorry, I didn't mean that you may not be better than others, but that it won't be easy to convince potential employers of this. The criteria for getting a work visa have just been tightened. Do you have a university degree that is recognised by MoM?

Hello, i am fiordalyso from different countries (long story:))
I've been living in singapore for the last 3 years with my husband and now we have a 8 months baby. Although i have a significant work experience ( United nations) and speak 4 languages i could'nt manage to find a full time job in.singapore... I am only working few hours as.a part time language teacher in a private school. Still job hunting like crazy...

Maybe for.this paricular reason i dont like life in singapore. There must be a job for me in this country where is it ?

I find it difficult as well to make friends in this country. In general local people are not friendly as well ( at least they dont show it , they dont smile, they dont say hello.....) i have few expat friends but non a single local friend which is incredible i lived in.many other countries in.the world and i've never had any problems socializing. I find singapore boring as well...

What i like about singapore ?  I love changi airport, pack my bags and go for.a trip. Spending a whole month in.singapore drive me crazy. Now with the baby and this virus around i feel stuck here... Obiousely singapore is one of the top countries in the world, smat city, very modern, practical, baby and children friendly, very well positionned to travel around, an.effcient healh system.. But i dont feel it's the country where i should be.
Sorry for this negativity, what about your experience ?

Fiordalyso: This sounds like a very bad outcome of the adjustment phase (if you read the Wikipedia entry for culture shock, which I co-authored, I would classify you as „rejector“).
Unfortunately, Singapore and its people will not change for you. So the only way to improve the situation is that you change, by either finding a more positive attitude or by moving away.
Withdrawing into a limited circle of likeminded folks, who complain about the „hostile“ host society together, does not help!
If it‘s any consolation: You are not alone with such an issue, and neither education/intelligence nor prior foreign experiences prevent one from falling into the negativity trap.
But with dedication, persistence and an open mind to accept your host country the way it is, this can be overcome!

Many thanks Beppi for your answer,
I understand what you're saying however i am not absolutely looking for likeminded people to start a complain group, i wanted to share my experience in an honest way and learn from other maybe more positive experiences.

Also I worked and lived in many countries even very difficult ones in difficult times like war ... But i've never felt this way and i consider myself open minded.

However As you said this cannot prevent us from falling into negativity. And as i mentionned earlier, the fact that i didn't find a full time job didnt help me to feel better in.singapore.

I've arrived very motivated in singapore and very positive about finding a job a'd having a new life i can tell you that i fell in negativity only after 3 years almost.

I cannot change country for now so i have to overcome.

I'll have a look on wikepedia.

Many thanks again.

Thanks Beppi

Sorry to hear about the tightening of work visa conditions...
What essentially had changed?

And about getting recognition for my University degree by MoM, what's the process please?

You should read related forum posts and other sources before posting a question.
The changes in work visa criteria have been discussed in length here, in the press and are also available on government websites.
For recognition of degrees by MoM: There is no such pricess - it is recognised or it is not. Full stop.

Thanks.
Well noted

Fiordalyso wrote:

Many thanks Beppi for your answer,
I understand what you're saying however i am not absolutely looking for likeminded people to start a complain group, i wanted to share my experience in an honest way and learn from other maybe more positive experiences.

Also I worked and lived in many countries even very difficult ones in difficult times like war ... But i've never felt this way and i consider myself open minded.

However As you said this cannot prevent us from falling into negativity. And as i mentionned earlier, the fact that i didn't find a full time job didnt help me to feel better in.singapore.

I've arrived very motivated in singapore and very positive about finding a job a'd having a new life i can tell you that i fell in negativity only after 3 years almost.

I cannot change country for now so i have to overcome.

I'll have a look on wikepedia.

Many thanks again.

I'm sorry you feel this way!
Singapore is basically a city state where everything is super efficient, and everything runs like clock work, but maybe in the current economic environment where you have growth stagnation/covid 19 spread & mass job cuts being planned due to recession worries are seen hitting home all at once. Securing a new job is one thing/Holding onto your current job is another!...Many locals may feel the immense pressure that everyone/
everything else is a competition, and maybe this has lead to them not smiling as much as you would like them to. Maybe trying to understand the current stressful environment would be the best remedy.
Anyways best of luck in your search for a job and happiness.

Thanks

Hi All,
I'm a Canadian Mech.Eng.Tech. with a background in mechanical design,manufacturing, machining, welding, NDE, etc, 38 years.  Love it when it's the right job.
I want to live in the Malaysian, Thailand region, provided I can find the right job.
Once that's looked after, the food, the culture, the people and the ability to get off the beaten path...I used to ride dirt bikes and buggies in the Northern Saskatchewan Forrest...a lot.
I'm interested in the adult stem cell treatments available...cuz I'm 54 and I rode dirt bikes...a lot, and washed the dust down with Whiskey an beer...a lot. lol

I want to get back into SCUBA, I've had the full training and certification, not resort certified.  In my 20s, I shot a 118 lb sturgeon in a north Sask river. 
I quit drinking and am looking to get back to the things I love

Neil Wig: This is the Singapore forum, not Malaysia or Thailand.
While your job and visa chances are probably higher here than in the neighbouring countries, you won‘t find any of the outdoor activities you seek in this crowded city state.

Hi all,

this is Annabelle from Singapore. Frankly,  joined this forum today as I am inviting participants to an upcoming webinar that is happening this Saturday 18 July @ 11am.
It will cover topics including:

• Current Singapore Immigration Landscape
• Common mistakes make when filing your own application.
• Factors affecting Singapore PR/ Citizenship application.
• How TIP can assist you to secure your place in Singapore?
• Why is NOW the best time to file your application?

I created a thread earlier on. However, unfortunately it got removed.
I posted here again because after reading through many of the questions in the forum, I honestly feel that the webinar might be useful for some of you.

That aside, I am a native Singaporean and have been living here for more than 20 years. :D If someone is new or a tourist in Singapore, I highly recommend you to visit

1) Gardens by the bay (the exterior is beautiful even if you don't purchase tickets to enter the conservatories)

You can go to P.S cafe Fullerton and try the banana cake with vanilla ice cream after that! From the cafe, you will also be able to see the Merlion. :)

2) Treetop walk at MacRitchie Reservoir (you will get to see monkeys!)

There is a vegan cafe nearby called WellSmoocht. They serve good vegetarian food and ice cream!

3) Henderson Waves (good place to catch the sunset!)

You can visit Sentosa from there or head to Vivo City for dinner.
There is a good burger place in Vivo City called Hans im glück.
They serve both vegetarian and non-vegetarian burgers.

Lastly, if anyone has any questions about Singapore or would like to find out more about where to find good vegan/vegetarian food, feel free to drop me a message! :)

Julien wrote:

Hi all,

Newbie on the Singapore forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country, or to tell us more on your expat projects in Singapore if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

I am dinesh Hegde, my country of origin is India and city of birth is Mumbai  maharastra. I am undergraduate and My profession is housekeeping in hospitality industry from last12 years of experience.
Infact mostly I worked in gulf countries and now I l want to shape my future in Asia/ Europe countries. I am married .Just recently I quit my job as a housekeeping supervisor . Now it's a right time to start new beginning for me.
Thank you

Hi everyone!

My name is Raima and I am a fresh graduate from Aerospace Engineering department! I have always admired Singaporean culture and have heard great stories about the country.

I wish to find a job in Singaporean Airlines and to settle in Singapore in the coming years. I am hopeful towards moving and finding a job in Singapore.

Hello everyone,

Welcome to dinesh140872 and RaimaH  :cheers:

Thank you both for the introduction.  :top:

Get in touch with recruiters by creating your CV in Jobs in Singapore.

You can also check the latest job offers.

Should you have any questions, do not hesitate to post them on the Singapore forum;)

Best luck,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

Thank you for the information Cheryl!😊

I am Dinesh Hegs3 from Mumbai India looking for a job in Sentossa, Singapore for a hotel industry. Will anyone can help me please provide your email address so that I can send my full details.
My email address ****

Moderated by Cheryl 3 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, contact details should not be posted on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Hello there, my name is Andrew and I moved here on mid 2014.  I'm working in the semiconductor field as Technical Support for an US company. My origin are Italian and I had my brother here working for a while as Chef as well. I was supposing to stay here like three-six months, but then, after I quickly joined the italian groups in FB, the way I was leading my job and the general satisfaction I decides to keep going my adventure here........ Right now, I don't think it will be an option to come back my hometown, last year I was lucky to go back my places 5 times (running some services) and I found out I'm not interested anymore to come back. OK, have a nice day you all.

Hello asingle,

Welcome to Expat.com

Thank you for the introducing yourself to the community.  :cheers:

Do not hesitate to start a new topic on the Singapore forum and share with us your experience as an expat. For example what influenced your decision to stay in Singapore? Or even tell us more about how the job hunt was.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

Hi All,

I'm Gary and I just moved from Hong Kong to Singapore. The reason to move here is I want my kid to have better education and environment for him to grow up. My son got the student pass in September.  I'm fortunate enough that my company allow me to relocate to Singapore from Hong Kong so I don't need to worry about finding job here.  I got my EP approved recently in November.

I would like to get more tips on education and how to accommodate my new life here.  Although Singapore is quite similar to Hong Kong, I'm sure there's lot of differences too.

Thank you and have a good day to you all!

Best Regards,

Gary

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=916079

Thanks!

Closed