Moving from South Africa to Singapore

Hello from Pierre Cilliers. On 01 August 2011 me and my wife will be moving to Singapore where she has been offered a position with her company. She is very excited and I am at this stage quite terrified and not sure I will be able to get a job over there. I currently have a very good senior position but obviously had to resign.

Any information about where to live in Singapore (Landed Property)will be appreaciated. We did go there for a one week Look/See but to short to really get all the info.

Hi Pierre,

Welcome on Expat-blog! :)

I have moved your topic on the Singapore forum for better visibility.

You may also view the "Life in Singapore" guide.

Thanks Christine

I have done quite a bit of my own research and have read the guide.

Hi, this is Jeffrey. A warm welcome to Singapore. Hope you and your wife will have a wonderful and memorable time here. You must be feeling exhilarated in starting your exciting living experiece in Singapore.

[moderated: please register in the business directory]

Hi Pierre,

We my husband and I just moved from SA to Singapore as well.  He's working, I'm not.  Which area are you people in and if you don't mind how old are you and where in SA are you from.  My husband works all week and only off on a Monday.  Maybe we could try get to meet each other?  I'm finding it quite difficult and a bit of a culture shock.  Hubby sorted though because he's working and has been here two months.  I arrived last weeks with our two kids (3 and 6).  Would like to meet and communicate with people from SA.

Hi Pierre and Genie,

My name is Careshma, my husband and I also recently moved to Singapore from Durban, SA.
It is truly awesome to hear that there are fellow south Africans here.
I am about to start my search for a job , as we have now moved into a flat and are settling dwn slowly.
it would be lovely to meet u guys, perhaps over coffee or drinks?

I am in Tanjong Pagar Road.

Thanks

Hi Careshma,

We are also from KZN.  How are you finding it in Singapore?  And hows this weather.  People we spoke to before coming here told us weather is like Durbs... Not, may more like Richards Bay in peak summer.  I'm battling a little bit to adapt, but I'm sure we will start settling in soon.  Do you have an e-mail?  Send me mail and I'll give you my contact number, then we'll arrange a cup of coffee.  Do you have children?

Regards

Genie

Hi Genie,
Gosh u absolutely right. This weather is crazy hot! No kids yet. Hope to also settle in soon. Please contact me on [email protected]. Look forward to hearing from you soon.

Hi Careshma.

Me and Zelma, my wife moved here on 01 August. Also no kids. Lets see if we can arrange to have a get together sometime. Would be interesting to hear other people's views. How long have you guys been here.

I know Genie' husband can not make it on a weekend. Maybe we should all get together one evening after work somewhere. Where do you stay.

Cheers

Hey there,

Yup that be a good idea. We in Tanjong Pagar. Please send me your email add, we can perhaps meet on fri evening?
Or sometime next week.

Cheers

My email address is [email protected]

Here is my Blog link and I am on Facebook

eviltwininsingapore.blogspot.com

Have a nice day

Hi guys, I believe there is a huge SA community here near Turf City and they get together for Rugby etc at Picotin on weekends.  Hope I'd be able to go there on Sunday for Rugby.   You are sure to meet some SA people there.

Greetings
Genie

Hi Genie

How did it go with the kids new school yesterday.

How do get hold of the South Africans

Hi Pierre,

The kids yesterday... that was a bit of a disaster to start of with.  Kayla (3 year old) cried her little heart our and to top it all they opened assembly in Chinese.  The kid almost lost it and to be honest, if my husband and Jo (my husbands' bosses wife - chinese) wasn't there I would have turned around and gone back home with my kids.  Today however was a lot easier.  She still won't go to assembly, but they are fine entertaining her until they are all ready to go to class.  My boy was extremely brave and did very well.  He's just such a strong little boy and really trying hard to make it easy for mom.

I had a business meeting after dropping the kids at Picotin, Turf City and I must tell you it felt like being back home, a typical Keg type pub.  Lots of Auzies, Poms and the guy that I met there is involved in coaching Rubgy, very much like the "bulletjie rugby" back home.  He told me about weekends being packed with SA people. You have to try and get there on Sunday for the rugby and check it out.  And if you can ask for Rob Devine.  He is the Australian involved in the coaching.  A hell of a nice guy.  I'm going to be working with him on the NBI stuff.

I won't make it to the rugby as I really don't feel like going there on my own without my husband and two kids in tow.

Let me know if you managed to get there and what it was like.

They also have lots of activities on Saturdays with the expats.

centaursgroup.com.  Amazing what they do.

Man, lets hope this is our breakthrough.

Cheers.
G

My sympathies Genie,
I can only imagine how she must feel. U are also very brave I must say.
Thanks for the useful info.
I hope to meet with you soon.
Please send me your contact details.

Cheers

Pleasure.  I'm on fb at the moment.  Will post it on your fb email.

G

Ok gr8 . Send me an invite Careshma Ramroop.
Chat soon
Cheers.

Hi Genie

Glad the kids are now better at the school thing. Thanks for all the information. I will investigate the rugby times and see if we can make it there.

I am sure we will meet more SA Expats as we go along and form our own little group.

Have a nice day

Thanks Pierre same to you.  How is your wife settling into her job here and have you come across anything viable for yourself yet?

Enjoy your day

Hi Genie

In your post you made it sound as if Picotin is close to you. Just checked it out on the map and how the hell did you get there??????

Hi Pierre,

You are starting to sound like a true Singaporean. LOL.  I took the MRT to Marymount and from there I took a taxi.  Total travel time was 20 minutes by train and taxi.  Not that bad. And it cost me approximately $8 in total in taxi fare. Not too bad...

It still beats Jhb traffic.

Good luck

Hi Genie

We went and watched the Rugby at Picotin on Sunday and it was fun and the food is really good.

Have you worked out an idea on how we can actually get to meet each other????Zelma said if we want to do it one evening in the week she will arrange to come home earlier. Round 18h00.

Let me know

Hi all. I am considering moving to Singapore with my 5 year old son. I have extensive experience in sport in schools. Anyone know of good schools where I could apply or sporting clubs etc.

is there any Zambian community in singapore