Application for a S pass

Hi All,
I am a malaysian and just worked here about 3 years (worked at Malaysia about 4years after completed my diploma), im holding a work permit now and like to upgrade to S pass .My salary is SGD 2,150 , is it really not possible to get a S pass based on my qualification and my salary ? Or is it have any others way for my company management to help me on this (maybe write letter to MOM or etc)?

Another question is because of my bf is a Singaporean and he is worried that i cant get a PR even marry with him , and that is why he hope i can try to upgrade my work permit pass to S pass .

Hope u all can help me on this as we really got plan to marry maybe one or two years later.

Thank you very much.

if you marry your bf, ICA may not give you a PR or citizenship immediately, because they don't know are you going to marry him for real or just getting a citizenship and then divorce.

ICA gives you a PR or citizenship base on your qualification and your salary, and equally important is your bf (husband) salary, if he is not able to support you well, then chances of you getting the PR is lower.

if you start to have children with him, then your case will be much much easier, so get married, and have children soon, you will get your PR soon. if you get married but no children, immigration will give you a 1 year long term social visit pass, and if you manage to find work, then that company will change the LTSV pass to a work permit.

for people who are not planning to marry a singaporean, to go from a work permit to become a PR is like day-dreaming ... even these days, those who are holding a S pass and they want to get a PR, it is almost like day dreaming too, to become a PR, the criteria has risen very high, we probably looking at a salary of about 5k or higher ... and still not a guarantee.

my ex-wife is a foreigner, and i have 4 ex-workers (all EP holders with salary exceeding 3k-3.5k) who gotten PR when they work in my company before 2008. i had an ex-worker who applied in 2012 with salary of 4k and got rejected. these are just the information i gathered.

To add some information:
- Minimum salary for S-Pass is S$2200/month. You have no chance of getting an S-Pass f you are below that.
- WP holders (also ex-holders) need permission from MoM before they marry a Singaporean. DO NOT FORGET THIS, as the authorities will make your life very miserable if you marry without this permission!
- After marrying, your husband can sponsor your LTVP (which does not allow work!) if he earns above S$2800/month - or you continue staying on your WP/S-Pass.
- If you're married for at least a year, you can upgrade to LTVP+, which allows work.
- PR is only possible later (wait for 2 - 3 years after marriage).

huh....so sad....means i only can think of it after marry.....Arhhh.......we not plan to marry or get a child so soon leh.... :sosad::sosad::sosad:

Why do you want to have an S-Pass?
Isn't your current WP also enough?

Hmmmm....actually is not much diff for me , but for my bf ...as he so scared that i cant get the PR , so he feel that maybe i can use the way like upgrade by step like WP-S PASS- EP PASS then only apply for PR ....

Hi beppi,

One more question , if my salary is above sgd2200 after add in all the allowance , is it consider exceed the minimum salary? or they just based on the basic salary ?

- The authorities are considering many, many factors in a PR application. I cannot see that having upgraded from WP to S-Pass makes a major difference. Being of the preferred race (Malaysian Chinese), being married to a Singaporean and being in child-bearing age (or maybe already having a child by the time) will get you a PR easily - no matter which passes you had before.
- Only fixed basic salary is considered for work passes.

Hi All ,especially Beppi,

Ok , thanks for yours reply ^^ really appreciated .

once you are married ... it is the singapore spouse's (in this case your husband) salary that plays the biggest part in whether you get a PR or not ... i have seen many singaporean men approach their MPs because their wife has 2 children and still on long term social visit pass. this is solely due to the husband earning too little.

it is your current bf who must increase his salary significantly for you to become PR, not the other way around.

I believe that even in Singapore the era of equal rights for both sexes has arrived.
Thus it is the combined salary, or the salary of the higher earner that matters most.

Hi Beppi,

I have a query " Can dependent pass holders of E pass holders apply for S pass??" (Considering Company has 6 local employees and 2 employee on Epass. No foreigner quota used.)

I am new in the country and not able to find answer even on MOM website. Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can apply for an S-Pass.
Whether it will be approved depends on many factors, so I cannot tell. You'll only know by trying!

Thanks Beppi,

I assume "Many factors" doesnt include the fact that i am a dependent of an E pass holder. :unsure

No - if anything that makes it easier to reject you, since you can remain in Singapore and your financial situation is still o.k without a job.
But that opens up another venue: get a DP and apply for the permission to work on LoC - the criteria here are usually more relaxed.

Wow, there is such thing as the 'preferred race'?

Not officially, of course. But in order to keep the racial balance of the population as it is, the higher birth rate of Singapore's Malays and the almost desperate attempts by too many Indians to come here, is compensated by allowing more people of Chinese ancestry in (preferably Southeast Asian Chinese, who integrate better).

Last time i checked, Malays are the minority. Anyway, now i know the Chinese integrate better. Good generalisation you have there.