Moving to Beijing and scared is an understatement

Hi guys, I am new to expat. Com and have been informed by a friend to join and speak of my fears and spill out haha....

So here goes, I'm a hgv driver in London and have been doing so for four years, until couple months ago I decided I wanted a change in life, I have decided to come to Beijing for a year under a work contract. Now the planned move is in February and it's all great and dandy, until it sunk into me last night before bed, I'm going to a country where I have nobody whatsoever, no friends no family no one to help or guide or anything at all, and I'm just concerned because I don't want to be alone and scared and worried throughout, of course I'm not saying il be completely lost but you guys know what I mean by what i say. Just wanted advice and friendly faces to help me out, as I dont know the language or anything.

Thank u 😊

3 points.

SatNav
Google translate conversation mode with Chinese downloaded
Get wild and enjoy the ride

I can understand why you might be, but relax there is nothing to be scared of.

I'm from London too but I live in Shanghai.

Firstly, you come from London so you're moving from city to city. Beijing has all the things that London has and more  - with the exception of crime. There is no street crime in Chinese cities, at least not compared to home. Shanghai and Beijing are the two safest places I have been to.

Contrary to what UK media reports Chinese people are friendly, gentle, helpful and kind. Children and pensioners are well catered for here, which, for me at least, is a mark of a civilised society.

The two difficulties I had / have were language which is impenetrable and roads - cars and electric bikes. Zebra crossings should be treated very cautiously. I only ever cross the road when a pedestrian green light is on.

Beijing is quite cold in the winter too.

A lot of the obstacles are over come by social media. Dear Translate is a good app to have. You will need a VPN (look it up if you haven't heard of it) and a Chinese mobile phone. China isn't that impressed with western social media, but fear not China has its own and it's just as good as ours.

Any questions drop me a line.

Moderated by Christine 4 years ago
Reason : for security reason, please do not post your contact details on the forum. Thank you

Dude @shauneyles thank you so much for you're words, u have given me that security I needed, its just a whole new step and yeah the days are getting closer real soon, ofcourse my main and upmost aim is to network when I am out there as best as possible.

Again thank you for you're advice help and kind words. Stay blessed

And you're right atm I don't really see any country as violent as our hometown is becoming. Quiet sad really. But that is good to hear.

For sure in regards to the language barrier I ha e downloaded a good translator and also looking into vpn do u think I should get a paid vpn or go for a free one. Also as for banking is it easy to connect to my original banging in UK with the banking from China.

you don't know anything about the country you're going into. But don't be scared, China peope are friendly and hospitable, the tranporation is very convenient, I believe you'll love China once you come.

Hello, I am from London and am here in a city called Ningbo. Have you arrived in Beijing yet? I have been here for 5 days and I am still terrified. Luckily I think in Beijing the mopeds tend not to drive on pavements like they do here. Are you on WeChat yet? if not, you need to download the app: it's a social networking and payment app that is pretty central to life here.

VPN is tricky. I got one and it doesn't work. Chinese internet is very much China-focused, there is no access to google, facebook, podcasts, Netflix, Amazon Prime or anything else without a VPN tho, so good luck in finding one that works. My boss reckons Norton is great; I have NORD and it sucks. So I am using Sohu to watch American series. It is interrupted with ads and has writing all over the screen, lol. Better than nothing tho. Take a good book until you find some mates.

Chinese people are lovely, food is great, lots of things to love about being here. Once you get WeChat, and making friends you will be fine.

Guys thank you for all of the above replies, I am coming to Beijing on 13th Feb, and after lots of informative advice I believe I have the basics of getting there and being setup, I hope to enjoy my time ahead, I love exploring  and trying new dilicassies, overall I just hope it works out for the best. Again blessing to all of you guys, also whilst I'm in Beijing and onyone wants to meet for coffee, drinks, food whatever be sure to hit me up, and let's link up 😊

Hi!

I am Chinese and living in Beijing.
I want to make friends with you and help you.

You can add my whatsapp ***

or wechat: ****

Moderated by Diksha 3 years ago
Reason : Please do not post your contact details on the forum for security reasons.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct