Living in Beijing

You are an expatriate living in Beijing, or you used to  work and live in Beijing.

Share your expat experience!

How would you describe life in Beijing?

Has it been complicated to settle down, to find a job, and an accomodation? 

Is it complicated to make friends in Beijing?

What would you recommend to people who would like to live in Beijing?

Thanks in advance for your participation

Tip...For the people who wants very good bread similar to the french baguette, you must go to Bruno Bakery in sanlitun, basement of Pacific Plaza.

You can check out my blog at travel.chinafinds.com for information on living in Beijing.  My family and I lived there, drove around the surrounding areas on the weekends and also traveled to near by countries....

Is 3600RMB per month good enough with free housing and with food allownce???

Stock up enough money should you decide to come and work in China, at least my experience is that it takes at least two month to go through the 5 steps of getting your work permit even after you have secured a job offer. 1. health check up 2. work license from Department of Labor 2.1 Visa notification letter 3. Z visa from Hong Kong (any consulate outside of mainland china really) 4. work permit 5. residence permit.
If anyone knows of any short cut please kindly let me know. I'm still at step 4, and I came to beijing with the offer almost 2 months ago!

Dear jodi,

You did you health check up in BJ or your home country?
About Step 2 and 3, did you receive these two after you started working or ??? And Step 4, what are they evaluating to release the work permit?

Appreciate your reply.
I am considering a job offer in BJ and would like to know more about the procedure and so on.

Thanks.