Looking to buy a used car for travel around Europe

Having bought a used car in the USA and drove through Central America to Panama I am thinking of doing the same thing by buying a car in Sofia and driving through the Balkans to Italy and maybe beyond.     I would like to know if a visitor with British European passport can buy a car and leave Bulgaria.    I hope to arrive in Sofia on or around first week of May 2020.     Anyone with info on what may be involved or possible would great.

[Post deleted]

Thanks.   Interesting that you cannot register a car in Europe if not resident.... Is that all EU countries?   Re the non trading company is that referring to an EU company or any country. 

Re Insurance can you buy short term insurance for length of stay in each country in EU as I was able to do at the border each time through Central America or does the insurance work for all Europe?   I have not been able to get the level of detail anywhere.
Your response is appreciated.

[Post deleted]

Don't even think about it!    Many titles are forged and you need certain documents to travel from country to country.  I sent a car from the USA to my residence.   I know the car, know the history and the true miles.   If you buy a used car in Bg. be prepared for a headache.  Many are confiscated at the border. 

And for insurance.   Most insurance companies refuse to pay.   My driver was hit head-on by a drunk lady who was apprehended 3 hours later.  It has been over a year and while the vehicle was totaled I have yet to receive payment. 

My mistake was having my real estate agent buy the insurance instead of my attorney.   If you own any property find an insurance company from Germany or England and do not buy insurance in Bg.  My attorney has purchased insurance for my items from the Netherlands and I sent the policies to the US to be reviewed by my attorney.   He reviewed the companies and checked them out --they are reputable.   Not so with the company that my real estate agent bought insurance from.   Beware of people offering to do you favors.  As my attorney told me "Everything in Bulgaria is fake!"   Take your time and investigate. 

As for attorneys, I think I was lucky.   I would think the same due diligence must occur on any attorney you hire.  In the US we have Martindale-Hubbard to verify an attorney.

That was a good response.

[Post deleted]

Thanks for the feedback.    I have decided to lease a car in Rome and take the ferry to Tirana and then circle around and back via northern Italy to Rome.
RGDS

[Post deleted]

Yes And, beware the scam about auto insurance from the rental company.  Many require a E500 deposit and deductible and then will examine the vehicle for any microscopic normal wear and tear and refuse to refund your deposit.   This is prevalent in Bulgaria and Italy.   Germany and Austria seem to be better. 

Some US credit cards offer insurance protection for car rentals, but I found out the hard way by not reading the fine print.   My CC company refused to cover the "damage" as I also purchased insurance from the auto rental company.   That voided the CC coverage.  Go figure!    Call your CC company prior to renting. 

You may be just as inexpensive by hiring a driver with a car.   At least you won't get lost and probably not scammed.  More importantly, you will avoid several hundred Euros of fines that will track you down.  Most countries have invisible surveillance, poor signage, and high fines for illegal parking, speeding, wrong way, uturns etc.

I drove around Albania. Huge mistake every 50km some crooked cop stopped me and asked for 20 euro, said I went over white line. Horrible country almost as bad as Kosovo. People are no goodnicks.