Getting the company to prove that they are paying taxes on your behalf

Hi there,

I'm wondering if it's possible to get the company I'm working for to prove that they are paying taxes on my behalf and not pocketing the money instead?

I've asked this company to provide me with the red invoice, but they say that they are able to do so only at the end of the contract.  Is that true?  Is it not possible to request the red invoice on monthly basis?  If so, is there another document of some sort that I may request instead?   Or is there a tax number that is assigned to me, which I can enable me to verify how many taxes are being paid on my behalf?

Thank you.

up

:huh:

To the tax authorities?  Thanks!

Have you received a tax file number?

colinoscapee wrote:

Have you received a tax file number?

Ah - I've heard something about that.  Interesting.  Is it possible for me to request a tax number from my company in order for me to file an inquiry with the ministry of finance?  That is, is my company legally obligated to provide me with a tax file number upon request?  Because this might be the solution to my problem. 

Thanks.

You can check it online at the govt website  Tax number  click on cá nhân( individual) put your passport number in the first box, 3rd box put the code you see to verify it.

How long have you been here, if its short time you may not be registered yet.

This is my second year here (with this company) - so, in theory, I should be registered. 
Again, thanks.

colinoscapee wrote:

You can check it online at the govt website  Tax number  click on cá nhân( individual) put your passport number in the first box, 3rd box put the code you see to verify it.

How long have you been here, if its short time you may not be registered yet.

Thank you.
That's a useful piece of information.

I just found out that I have a tax number.

My tax status is "NNT đang hoạt động (đã được cấp GCN ĐKT)".
Do you know what that means?
I don't actually have to pay taxes because I don't have any income.

maximmm wrote:

This is my second year here (with this company) - so, in theory, I should be registered. 
Again, thanks.

Yes you should have by now. Have you checked in the system to see if you have a tax file number.

What is maximmm's recourse if he finds that his company has been withdrawing from his salary but not giving the money to the government on his behalf?  My guess would be almost nothing. 

I expect that only thing to do would be to resign as quietly as possible without attracting undue attention and to look for a new job.  Raising a big fuss could result in being let go by the company, while at the same time the government comes after him for the taxes.

THIGV wrote:

What is maximmm's recourse if he finds that his company has been withdrawing from his salary but not giving the money to the government on his behalf?  My guess would be almost nothing. 

I expect that only thing to do would be to resign as quietly as possible without attracting undue attention and to look for a new job.  Raising a big fuss could result in being let go by the company, while at the same time the government comes after him for the taxes.

If his contract ststes that his employer will pay the tax, he should be ok. I would just resign as you said and move on.

I have had a Vietnamese TAX ID since I started teaching in Saigon back in 2006.  I have an original copy and several copies on my laptops.  The company gave it to right after I received my Work Permit and TRC.

This is what I've translated it to mean???  Not sure what this actually means..."NNT is operating (granted technical certificate)" 

Now that you know you have a tax number...you should be able to go to any government (labor department) and seek any information that they have on you.  Making sure you take the contract and work permit with you.